Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-02-22, 08:25 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for starting the new thread, Dana, I always forget!

Yesterday turned out to be a good day - throughout the day I interspersed some of Lucy Wyndham Read's workouts - they are good to do as a break from sitting - they are short, require little space and no equipment and can be done in regular clothing - no need to change into a workout outfit! After work I did:

Jessica Valent - Lower Body Blast Pilates workout - this was a good one, included some challenges (like the getting up off the floor w/out using hands!) and some standing leg lifts which I modified by using a chair.

Today, so far has been:

Charlene Pricket - Get the Fat Off - Cardio Cross Trainer - Low Impact. I really miss Charlene in the fitness world - it is straightforward, not insane, but still challenging enough. Her low impact is unique - it is a nice alternative to walking and dance workouts - and I think ends up being a little more intense than both. This one was also filmed outdoors which is a nice bonus.

I should do a retro-Charlene month -maybe in September....

I also added on - Yoga w/ Kassandra - 10 Min Root Chakra Yoga - which is a nice one to do after cardio.

Diane - I do think energy creates energy - the more I do, the more I want to do - whereas if I get lazy, I want to do less. Not to say we all don't need some time off from "productivity" though!
My DD seems ok - I think it is probably allergies. She is allergic to a lot of things. Animals, nature, etc. She had a referral to go to an allergist but never went. I think she may go in the future though.

Pat - glad you are enjoying the beach. Like Diane, I grew up on LI and I miss being able to go to the beach whenever I want. We are inland here.....and my DH is just not a big fan of the beach...

How are you doing Summer Breeze?

Hope everyone has a nice Tuesday - it has to be better than Monday!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-22, 10:05 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning all! Low key day for me. I Zoomed my grandniece's yoga class and that's it. I was impressed, she had a lot of confidence and it was a fun class! In meditation and in between the poses she told us the story of Krishna, from his childhood as a cowherd. Interesting poses, too. I'm so proud of her.

Diane, I haven't eaten at the cafeteria there. I walk at the Avery Point campus which is a satellite. It's for marine sciences students or for first two year students in some circumstances. They have a program called Project O which runs oceanography boat tours and presentations on the ecology of Long Island Sound. It's great for kids. Is Angel back?

Donna, Lucy's workouts are great for those reasons. I'm happy to hear you are feeling better today.

Good morning to Summer Breeze!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-22, 08:33 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Last night i added on some - Lucy Wyndham Read - Day # 2 from her August Walk & Tone which was an 8 min standing abs and then I did an after work stretch from Yoga w/ Kassandra.

Today, so far:

LWR - Day # 3 from her August Walk & Tone - this was interesting, it was filmed w/ her walking around Venice and then she would stop and do some body weight toning. It wasn't the hardest workout out there, but it served a purpose- to warm me up for Jessica's workout.

Jessica Valent - Pilates Arms and Abs - just what it sounds like. Body weight upper body - so planks and variations thereof and some Pilates ab work.

I may do another LWR or two later for just extra activity and then maybe a stretch or yoga...

My bathroom should be 98% complete today - the only snafu is that the shower door is delayed by 2 weeks, but my contractor will finish everything else today and then come back once the shower door is in stock.

Pam - how nice about your neice's class! I was trying to do some Yoga w/ Adriene this month, but....no....I don't know why - I really used to love her. I am a fan of Kassandra's right now.

Hope everyone has a good day - mid-week already.

Donna
Old 08-03-22, 08:52 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Uck! Nothing here, it was too hot to even work out indoors. I could have done a Lucy at the office but oh well. We all need a rest day sometimes.

Donna, thanks for the mention of Lucy's Vienna walk. Sounds fun!! Have you tried Kassandra's latest flexibility offering? She also released a new vlog but it was disappointing to learn it is only available for subscribers.

Have a wonderful day everyone, stay !!
Old 08-03-22, 11:22 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!!

Popping in to say hi! Glad to see you all are keeping up with your exercise routines.

DONNA, yay on the bathroom reno being almost completed! Good job with LWR and Jessica Valent. Ah Charlene Prickett. She was my intro to video workouts back in the 80s.

PAT, your beach and nature walks always sound so fascinating. This humidity is draining for sure. And here I am just sitting in a/c for the most part. LOL. Your grandniece seems like a wonderful yoga instructor.

DIANE, glad you got a nice burst of energy to get some things done. My friend said her dog is doing a little better but I'm not sure if they got to the root of the problem.

Have a wonderful day everyone!!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-22, 03:57 PM  
amoodygirl

Hi everyone!

It is hot as all blazes (my mother’s favorite saying) and tomorrow is going to be worse. DH is going out for his run at 7:30 tomorrow morning. I will drop him off and then do some quick food shopping then pick him up at the other end of the trail. I just cannot run outdoors in this weather but he seems to like the heat. Not me!!!!

Tuesday’s Workout:
  • Body Electric Sculpture – Pecs (pushups), triceps, biceps, abs
  • 14 Day Leg challenge
  • Stretch

Wednesday workout:
  • Treadlift Boost: Instead of treadmill, I did a Jenny Ford Step, followed by 10 min AMRAP Walking Lunges and Bench Step ups
  • Stretch
  • Afternoon: XY Shred 1 (a download I purchased many moons ago from Buti Yoga. It's an bodyweight exercise intervals with yoga poses as rest - unique!
  • 50 High knees

Donna: Love, love, love Charlene Prickett – she and Body Electric were my go-to workouts in the 80s and 90s. I so miss her! I hope she’s enjoying retirement and climbing lots of mountains! I needed energy for tonight because I’m involved in a focus group that meets tonight for an hour – so I added an afternoon workout that really got me going. It always amazes me how it wakes me up! Plus I get to shower again, one of my favorite things. Yesterday was a bad allergy day so I was loaded up on antihistamines. Because we moved around a lot during school and work, I have had 5 different rounds of allergy shots over my lifetime. Not fun being an allergic-type person. So glad your bathroom is almost done!

Pat: UConn’s Dairy Bar is a stand alone building, not in the cafeteria. It’s for ice cream and yummies only! I highly recommend it. We used to drive from Rocky Hill to Storrs all the time just for the ice cream – there’s not much else to do out that way!

Summer Breeze: So glad your friend’s dog is doing a little better. How I wish they could talk to us and tell us what’s going on. We have to be so vigilant with our pets. Happy to see you’re here – you’ll be up and at ‘em soon enough!!!

Hope everyone has a great evening. Beware the horrible heat tomorrow!

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-22, 08:57 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I ended up adding on Lucy's Posture Challenge Day # 5 which has a sort of Pilates/Yoga feel to it. There were some planks, not my favorite and I used a chair for a modification (Lucy shows this mod in her workout which is nice) and then I added on an Essentrics - it was a Live workout from 7/25 w/ Sahra.

Whenever I do Essentrics, I always want to do more, so today I did:

Essentrics Live from 7/21 w/ Meg - this was a 45 min class for "swimmers" - it focused on shoulders and hips. It was also filmed outdoors in Costa Rica, so very pretty scenery.

Up for Jessica today is Pilates Tabata, which I may attempt at lunch time. It sounds scary, but I think I did it once before and it was ok.

Diane - hot here as well!!! Movement wakes me up, too - I am glad that w/ my new job I have some time to actually get up and move around for 10-20 min. I like throwing my LWR breaks in. I can do her stuff right in my office this way I'm not paranoid about missing a call. It is silly to feel that way b/c when I worked in an office I would go out for a walk, so I'm sure I missed calls!

Summer Breeze- glad you are hanging in there.

Pat- the walk w/ Lucy was fun - she has a Paris version too! On her blog she mentioned how her niece helped her w/ filming.

My bathroom looks great - I'm glad I got it done! We have one more to go that is going to be smaller in scale. I have to decide about the kitchen, that is going to be more $$ but our kitchen needs something. I expect that we will be living here for another 5 -6 years so is it worth it to do a full reno or just a facelift? The upside is we do have a smaller home so the price of the kitchen is not astronomical since we don't need a ton of cabinets/counter - and there is only so much that can be done w/ its layout. So I think that is an upside to a smaller home.

Hope everyone has a great day - Happy Friday Eve!

Donna
Old 08-04-22, 09:05 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning everyone! Is it only Wednesday? This week feels like it's going slow. My yesterday:

~ LWR Posture Challenge Day 2
~ Evening stroll at the beach
~ A Jessica Valant back care Pilates
~ 5,112 steps

It was hot but there was a breeze at the beach. We walked to the tidal pool and the baby egrets were there. So dang cute. Some animals have to grow into their big feet or long legs - they have long legs and a big long neck to contend with and are SO silly.

Thanks for popping in Summer Breeze. Day by day you're getting closer to cast removal.

Wow that's some drive for ice cream Diane. It's going to be a scorcher here until middle of next week, ugh. Good job on your workouts.

Donna, yay on getting your bathroom successfully completed. Pilates tabata does sound a little scary.

Have a great day!
Old 08-05-22, 09:00 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

TGIF!!!! Ugh this gross weather, no relief in sight for at least a week. Just got to chug through it. At least I'll get to see DS tonight, we're taking him out for Cajun food for his birthday.

Yesterday featured:

~ LWR Posture Challenge Day 3
~ GYM for 15 minutes recumbent and 45 weight machines
~ 6,289 steps

Good morning to all!
Old 08-05-22, 10:30 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday, after work, I did get this in:

Jessica Valent - Pilates Tabata - it wasn't that bad. There were a lot of planks. But basically she did a Tabata protocol of 4 minutes - 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off - so there was a good amount of repetition - we did some variation of planks, bridging, and ab work for 4 minutes using that protocol. She did 4 min of leg work but it was more traditional Pilates side lying legwork. It wasn't bad and she did show variations of the exercises. It wasn't my favorite but it wasn't awful.

LWR - August Walk & Tone Challenge Day # 4 - this was just a 7 min unweighted arm series.

Today, so far was:

Essentrics - Live from 7/22 - w/ Alexa. This one focused on the hips and quads and was filmed on a beach. It was for cyclists, but anyone could benefit. it was 45 min long which is on the longer side for my attention span, but I did enjoy it. I, for some reason, thought that this recent series of Live workouts was part of a challenge and would be kept available - but that isn't the case, they are being deleted after the 14th day of airing. I'm going to try to finish up as many as I can before they are deleted. Some of them are an hour long...so I may just do parts of them.

I plan to get LWR's August Walk & Tone workout in later today - and maybe Jessica Valent's stretch - but I may save that for tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a nice Friday!!

I'm looking to taking some classes for "fun" My new job is way less intense than my last job - I am busy but I am so used to being overwhelmed that this seems easy. And, my second job, as a mom/chauffeur has been also greatly reduced since my DD is 19 and pretty independent. Anyway, that is what prompted me to think about taking some classes for fun - there is an art studio that offers classes and the community college...I am thinking about taking one on Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

Pat - Happy B'day to your DS! My DD's b'day was on Tuesday - she turned 19. She and I went out to dinner last night. It is nice when she carves some time out for me, LOL! I am happy that she enjoyed her work at the summer camp this year and made some friends there and she and her BF are still together. His B'day is later this month. His parents are "interesting" so I want to do a double b'day celebration for both of them at some point - either this month or next.

Waves,

Donna

Tags
gall bladder, heartburn, margaret richard, standing yoga