Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-28-22, 05:57 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

A workout! Yay for me!

Silver & Fit - Advanced Strength with Adita - 5/17/22 - 30 minutes

I really liked this strength workout - there was a little bit of balance work after the warmup, then some squats without weights, although I would add weights if I do this one again. Everything else was upper body work - standing and on the floor for pushups, chest presses, skull crushers and ab work, ending with a stretch.

If bad music or quiet music is a deal breaker for you, then don't bother with this workout. The music was awfully quiet.

101 degrees today. Whew! Makes sitting on the porch pretty toasty even though it was shady and we have a ceiling fan.

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-22, 09:04 AM  
Brenda in WA
VF Supporter

Sat: step and weights while watching Downton Abbey

Thank you for the suggestions for gliding disks. I’m going to try to pick up some up soon so I can try them out with Jessica.

She girds herself with strength, and strengthens her arms. Prov. 31:17
Brenda in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-22, 09:19 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Mira's Feel Good Mat Pilates - 35min.
Lindsay Brin's High Energy Pilates - 30min.

Mira's pilates was OK - got me moving, but I really enjoyed Lindsay's workout. This one is my favorite from her Balanced Pilates calendar program. There are 3 - 10min sections: arms with weights plus some pushups, glutes and abs. Surprisingly challenging workout but fun and time flew.

While I was drinking coffee this morning I got sucked into watching Classical Stretch S13 E5 on PBS. I really liked what I saw and then I saw that S14 is now also available for streaming and on DVDs. I've been so stiff and achy lately and the previews looked so good, that I think I'm going to sign up for 14-day free trial and see how I like it. I just cancelled 2 of my subscriptions, so I don't feel guilty about signing up for CS/Essentrics - particularly if it's going to help me get rid of some of the pain and stiffness I've been feeling for the past several weeks.

In June I plan to focus on pain relief, flexibity and Lindsay's Balanced Pilates program because she uses light weighs and it will give me some strength work.

Hope everyone has a good Memorial Day weekend. The jackasses by me have already started with fireworks last night. Last year once they started on Memorial Day, they continued nightly until well into August.
Old 05-29-22, 01:17 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

That sounds like a good plan, Dana. I know I would feel better if I could just stick with CS, but somehow that doesn't happen.

There will be no fireworks sales around here this year. It's just too dry. Of course, we will still have a few idiots who will buy them elsewhere and shoot them off here in spite of how dry it is.

Carol
Old 05-29-22, 06:11 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's "workout" was

Jessica Smith - Stretch & Relax: Relax - 19 minutes

This was a nice stretch, but starts out facedown on the mat, and I've never found that position comfortable. After we got to change positions, I was happier.

Carol
Old 05-30-22, 08:33 AM  
donnamp

i Everyone,

I was a bit MIA this weekend, weather was perfect and I had a nice balance of relaxing and getting things done.

On Saturday i did a short Pahla B Strength workout and a Classical Stretch episode.

On Sunday, I did a Lively Ladies workout and a Pahla B recovery day workout.

I think I can bring Pahla back into the mix if I do her weights only routines (no cardio), her active recovery day workouts and her core workouts.

Today I started Jessica's new program - I figured I'd get it in between bathroom renovations.

Today's workout was Total Body 48 from her Total Body Strength Training DVD.
My notes:

- I love the scenery/setting!
- The music was a little quiet, but that is not a bad thing - it helped to hear her cues and be more focused on her form pointers. What i heard, I liked though. I also do tend to turn my volume down when I workout anyway...so that may also have been a factor in the sound
- This is different, to me, from what she has done in the past w/ strength workouts. I felt this was much slower paced - which is not a bad thing at all. For me, many of her other strength workouts move too quickly and can result in injury in attempting to keep up. I have learned over time to just slow everything down to my pace anyway...but it was nice to see her move more slowly and carefully.
- There was adequate time to change weights if you needed to - another benefit to moving slowly.
- Good mix of exercises - options for using different piece of equipment, step, chair, etc.
- The time did fly by for a 48 min workout - so for someone like me, who does not love strength workouts - this was a good thing.
- I went light - I could go up for some exercises in the future.
- She did a number of exercises in a forward leaning posture - but you could definitely stand more upright if that works best for you.

Overall - so far so good! it was low dread and I would do it again.

Hope everyone has a nice day - I have some more home projects to do today and tidying up before the week starts tomorrow.

Dana - I obviously recommend CS - it has made a big difference for me. And, it is very easy to cancel if you don't want to continue after the 14 day free trial.
I need to be sure to say consistent with it, even as other things catch my eye.

Waves!

Take care!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-22, 06:47 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workout was

Jessica Smith - Total Body Strength Training - Total Body 31 - 31 minutes

Lots of hip hinging in this workout - I do wish Jessica wouldn't do that so often. I guess as my back gets stronger it will get easier. ?

This workout was lower body focused and I worked up a good sweat. I was more than sparkly.

Carol
Old 05-31-22, 08:10 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today I tried out the "5K" DVD and did the interval walk. It was enjoyable! I liked the warm up - it is something that would be good to do before an outdoor walk, too and the cooldown stretch was also very good. I like that these are chaptered separately so you could add them on to another workout or an outdoor walk. The interval walk was pleasant, too, nice setting! I do miss the countdown timer and I do miss having background exercisers. For the weight workouts I don't miss the background exercisers or the countdown clock as much.

Anyway - it was a winner overall! I am going to squeeze the "rise" workout from the stretch DVD in at some point today as well.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Back to work today, I can get used to being away from work. Must.Retire.

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-22, 09:12 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Nothing yet, but I've signed up for 14-day free trial of CS/Ess. They have couple of challenges related to pain relief and back health that I want to try.

I have to run some errands this morning but when I come back I'll do the first episode of the Posture Boost & Back Health 20 Day Challenge. I'll report back later.
Old 05-31-22, 06:07 PM  
Brenda in WA
VF Supporter

Monday: 45 min walk while reading

A workout hasn't happened today. Today has been filled with work, taking recycling to the dump (we don't have pick up), hauling kids around, making grocery lists, and setting a grocery pick up. Tonight is errands and grocery shopping. I guess I'll get some steps in.

I'm excited to try Jessica's new stuff! My normal workout space is full of stuff at the moment but it will get cleaned out soon and I'll dive in.

She girds herself with strength, and strengthens her arms. Prov. 31:17
Brenda in WA is offline   Reply With Quote