Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-21-22, 08:21 AM  
donnamp

Hi!

The tile guy had to come today to finish up - so no workout this morning. I'm definitely feeling the effects of being more sedentary.....so I hope to get something in this afternoon.

Yesterday at "lunch" I did a short Burpee Girl workout w/ weights - it actually made me sore! I think it is the style of workout - it is more endurance based.

I am thinking of following one of the Essentrics challenges - and adding on some walks or short strength workouts.

I still haven't been able to order Jessica's DVDs!! I am glad the sale is extended to June 30th, hopefully I can order before then. They show out of stock for me. I may end up just ordering digital. I have time to decide....

My background check came back clear, so I should be getting a formal offer soon and then I have to tell my boss....but I think it will be a good move. Nervous as always about change but I am hoping for a better work-life balance and less chaos.

Speaking of chaos - wow, Carol....I also don't know how you do it!

Dana - I'm like you - prefer to be on my own.....

Hope everyone has a good day!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-22, 06:51 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Finally a workout! I did

Jessica Smith - Total Body Strength Training - Total Body 48 - 48 minutes

I ended up not ordering all 6 of Jessica's new ones, so it made sense to go ahead and order. I know I'll end up ordering all of them eventually though.
I just needed something to look forward to doing.

As for the workout, I liked it. It is different than Jessica's usual strength work - slower and a smarter pairing of exercises so that you aren't using light weights for biceps and heavy weights for triceps. There seemed to be a fair amount of forward-leaning positions though, for those of you with wonky low backs. It was challenging for me and there was plenty of balance work mixed in. I used light weights -3 lbs and 5 lbs.

Thankfully no one tested positive, so we dodged that bullet. We will have more fun on Monday, I already know. Oh well, we have it to get through.

I never used to think of my job as stressful, even in the first CoVid year or at least the first half of the second one. Things changed out here after the election. We were no longer "in it together". People were mad at and distrustful of everyone. The last six months have been the most stressful work experience I have ever had.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-22, 08:22 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
There seemed to be a fair amount of forward-leaning positions though, for those of you with wonky low backs.
Carol
Oh no! For the past week or so I've been having a lot of lower back pain for no reason that I can think of. The pain went away for couple of days and then boom! It came back with the vengence this afternoon. It may be a while until I can do Jessica's Strength workout.

The last 2 dvds were just delivered. Maybe I can do the Flow Fusion and Stretching DVD for now. Forward leaning/flexion is out of the question for me right now.

I've had a very busy but very productive day at work today. It felt great to get so much done.
Old 05-21-22, 11:02 PM  
Brenda in WA
VF Supporter

[/B]60 min walk on Cannon Beach, OR[/B]

Yay Dana, on getting the new Jessica mail! Too bad about the back, though… I hope you recover quickly. I look forward to hearing what you think of the new workouts. Most of mine should arrive Monday, and the rest on Tuesday.

Donna, I’m glad to hear of negative tests! Covid has made lots of things stressful that didn’t used to be.

Carol, well done! That workout sounds pretty good to me.

She girds herself with strength, and strengthens her arms. Prov. 31:17
Brenda in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-22, 07:19 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I managed to do:

Essentrics Live workout from 5/16 w/ Meg - this was the kick-off of the 10 Day Glute & Core challenge which I plan to complete. this was a nice slower paced workout w/ good attention to form.

Today, so far, has been:

Burpee Girl 35 Min Walking for Weight Loss - this was a nice steady state routine. Not too hard. I really like her workouts, they are music only - and I thought that would be weird, but it works for me. All of the ones I have done so far have been low impact and barefoot.

I plan to get something else in later.

I have to do some work for my job today...ugh!!

Dana - I'm sorry to hear about your back!! I hate when my flares up for no apparent reason that I could find.....frustrating.

Carol - thanks for the review! Since i can't seem to order the bundle I may re-evaluate and think about ordering just the ones that appeal to me right now, I can always get the others later. I could also order digital, but I do like having the hard copy - at least if i didn't like one of them I could trade it or give it away....decisions, decisions.....

waves, Brenda and Linda!

Donna
Old 05-22-22, 07:36 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Donna - Jessica does mention that you don't have to use that forward-leaning position, and I think I will not do it. Forward leaning seems to add to the balance challenge and the core work, but I can just do without that. Obviously there are a few exercises where you have to - bent rows, back flies, are a couple I can think of - but you can leave a lot of it out.

Honestly, if I had a YouTube Channel, I would not name it Burpee Girl...

Dana - Sorry about your back! The workout I did can definitely be modified to make it easier on your back.

Waves Brenda and Linda!

Carol
Old 05-22-22, 10:26 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Donna Obviously there are a few exercises where you have to - bent rows, back flies, are a couple I can think of - but you can leave a lot of it out.
Hey all,

whenever my back is tired these are some of things I do to reduce the impact of the hinge by performing many of those moves

--using the stability ball for upper body support
--using my high step with several risers underneath my chest for support
--doing the exercise seated on bench or chair with lower portion of upper body hinged on upper thighs back straight
--just using resistance bands mimicking moves while seated on the floor

Thanks for posting your thoughts on JS workouts. I think they started a reviews thread too if any of you are interested.

Workouts:

F…Kettlebells; Gym Style Chest & Triceps superset premix; plus Caban beginner mat pilates

S …Step blast (10 min); Bootcamp boogie warmup, S#1,yoga; CS #920 back and hip strengthening

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-22, 08:20 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Mira's Pilates Back Workout - 53min. This one is on her membership site, but it very well may be on her youtube channel too. I wasn't sure I wanted to do a 53min pilates back workout but this one was so, so good that it went straight into my favorites. The time flew and it was wonderful for my back and the rest of the body. I'll try to do this one at least once a week.

I have to run some errands and may even attempt to do one of Jessica's new Flow and Glow workouts later on. I may try to break up my ecercise routines into 2 shorter sessions per day because I suspect my back flare ups may be related to me doing 50-60min workouts first thing in the morning and then basically sitting the rest of the day.

Wishing everyone a great day!
Old 05-23-22, 11:24 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday evening I ended up adding on another Burpee Girl workout - one of the ones from her "short workouts" channel and I also added in a CS episode from the 10 Day Glute/Core Challenge - Season 11 Episode 29.

Today, so far I just threw in a CS episode, also from the challenge - Season 13, Episode 18.

Plan to walk later and maybe some strength training, too. The weather is nice -we had storms that cooled things down.

Still waiting on my final offer AND on Jessica's new set to be available to order. But like most things in life, I'm thinking there are reasons for the delays and I just have to deal with it. On the Jessica front, anyway, I'm not ready to start using them - so I am thinking that I may just order digital when I'm ready for them. I do want to order Kassandra's book though...she is my go-to Yogi these days.

Dana - I bet you are on to something about your back. I think it is good to the extent that we can to be active throughout the day - even if it is not formal "exercise" - I know I suffer the most when I'm sedentary all day -even doing boring stuff like housework helps - sort of a 30 min sitting, 10 minutes up and moving, 30 min sitting, 10 mins up, etc. It is hard for me to implement that all the time though! And the more you sit, the more you want to sit!

Carol - the emotions involved in your job.......

Linda - those are great modifications!

Waves, everyone!

Donna
Old 05-23-22, 07:50 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workout:

Dog Walk - 30 minutes;
Jessica Smith - Stretch & Relax: Release - 15 minutes

I really liked this stretch workout - Jessica used a strap - I used a stretchy band. Tomorrow I will do the fusion workout, assuming that the DVD comes in the mail as scheduled.

3 more school days left - and one work day on Friday. Although that is good news, the best news is that it's raining tonight and they are saying that we could get a 1/2 or 3/4 inch, which would be a LOT for us, especially lately.

Carol