Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-02-22, 11:04 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question Opinions on Instacart?

I couldn't take advantage of delivery services when I lived in the sticks. I'm in civilization now and have heard good things about Instacart.

What have your experiences been with this service?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-22, 12:01 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Instacart is so convenient and has save me so much time. The stores that are available for delivery depends on where you live, but it's so worth it! I think it's about $99 per year.

In my area, I have Aldi's delivered at least twice a month and they have some unique things that I like. They get a bad wrap (because of quality) but I get the same type of items each time, that are favorites. I can also get deliveries from the main/local grocery chains, which are a little more costly. And, I can get pet foods delivered, pharmacy items or big box store items. The choices are endless.

You review how everything went with your order by giving a one to five stars to your shopper/delivery person. If they screw stuff up, instacart will reimburse you the amount, if they miss a few items or even if you end up with the wrong persons groceries.

It's so easy! I love it! And, for me I think I do less impulse buys this way!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-22, 12:24 PM  
sherry7899

I have had mainly good experiences. Be sure to check the dates on everything when it arrives. You only have 24 hours to notify them of issues. I noticed after that the Greek yogurt was expired. It was too late for a refund.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-22, 12:26 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I only wish certain stores were included....like Trader Joe's!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-22, 04:08 PM  
warriorprincess

It was great during the pandemic except for veggies and meat which I like to pick out in person. The shoppers are pretty good at substitutions, but you have to watch for messages while they're shopping to make sure they don't substitute something you don't want. Also, my grocery chain, Publix, added an additional 10-20% to each item, plus you have to tip on top of that, so it's not worth it for me to continue using. But I will use it again if I ever have issues walking. I loved the convenience.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-22, 05:07 AM  
DCW

I use to use them a lot. It saved time. It saved us money. Items were more expensive but it stopped me from buying all the extras i always picked up. I wasn't impulse buying anyone. Sometimes mistakes were made but the shoppers made fewer mistakes than family members.

I wish it existed when my family was younger. I really could have used groceries delivered at my door.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-22, 10:00 AM  
leigh1673

I've used Instacart since the pandemic lockdown began, and I'm STILL using it--if that gives you any indication! I've always HATED grocery shopping, so spending a bit more to get groceries delivered is worth it to me. I still go to the store throughout the week sometimes to pick up a few items here and there. But I do the bulk of it through Instacart.

In all honesty, it can be hit and miss. There are certainly instances where a shopper has forgotten a few of my items (or a whole bag) in their car. Or times where the shopper ignores your "backup" choice and just issues a refund without asking you. That said, Instacart customer service is top-notch and they usually issue a refund for any forgotten items VERY quickly.

But many shoppers are amazing and really go above and beyond!

I've found the more specific I can be when placing my orders, the better the results I get. For instance, if I'm requesting something that I know isn't a "popular" item (like I enjoy those Perfect Protein bars), I'll mention in the notes where they are usually found in the store.

I also (for some reason) usually have better luck when I place my orders at Aldi, as opposed to our other grocery store nearby (Giant). NO idea why!
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-22, 11:00 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for the input!

I placed my first "test" order yesterday. I ordered my favorite protein shakes from Costco. The order came when it was supposed to. I got free delivery, but I put in a decent tip and there was some other fee charged. One has to think about the time, fuel and hassle saved by using the service. Plus, the box of shakes is heavy.

I don't think I would use it for everything. In my new area, I can walk to a major supermarket and drug store in about ten minutes. So, I can walk there and pick up lighter items and carry them home. Where I lived (in the sticks) before, everything was far, far away.

I will use InstaCart again. I'm glad I tried it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
I only wish certain stores were included....like Trader Joe's!
Seriously!!!!!! I'd be all over that!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-22, 11:33 AM  
sherry7899

There is a grocery shopping service called "Dumpling" that has shoppers that go to Trader Joe's. I have not used them since they are not in my area.

https://dumpling.us/shop/

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-22, 06:03 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I love Instacart. I don't pay for it because I do pickups - Publix, Wegmans, and Food Lion mainly. The delivery fees, tips, etc. are just more than what I want to pay. With my husband being gluten and dairy free, I always mark every item with what I want them to do if it is out of stock (refund or substitutions). People in this area pay attention to those and honor them. I had one person totally ignore my preferences once at Wegmans and I slammed them in my review. So I get what I want unless stuff is out of stock - and you can't avoid that these days. I use their app and tell them when I am on my way and rarely wait more than 5 minutes for them to bring me my order. At Wegmans, they usually are bringing it out the door as I pull up which is pretty cool .

I recommend at least trying it, which you did. Not having to go into Costco is pretty valuable.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instacart, off-topic