Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-10, 08:30 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I haven't read the whole thread - has the Green Smoothie been discussed? I have a green smoothie almost every morning. Basically you want a ratio of 60% fruit to 40% raw fresh leafy greens (kale, collards, spinach, lettuce, parsley, any combo - I've even used dandelion greens from my yard). Add ice or use frozen fruit - frozen wild blueberries are a staple in mine. You can use water to make it blendable, I prefer soy milk to keep my calcium and Vit. D and protein up. I also add a splash of flax oil and some mornings will slice in a plug of ginger.

There are tons of recipes online. In one green smoothie you can knock off half your daily requirement of fruits and veggies, and they're filling and refreshing too!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-10, 03:09 PM  
goldillocks

I'm currently addicted to my recipe of low fat Fage greek yogurt with cut pieces of apple and walnuts mixed altogether in a teaspoon of honey
goldillocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 09:22 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Ditto the Fage yogurt. The stuff is amazing

Pratima, my dear workout twin - I, also, HATED oatmeal for the bulk of my life. Then I tried old fashioned oatmeal (thicker than instant) and then graduated on to steel cut oats. I don't like eating a bowl of mush, and I despise grits, even though I now live in the South. But steel cut oats? Pure YUM!

Put 1/3 cup steel cut oats in a microwave safe bowl. Cover with water so that there's about 1/2 to 1 inch of water over the top. Microwave for 5-7 minutes on 50% power, stirring half way through and checking to make sure there is enough water. I like mine somewhat dry and then I add milk or soymilk before I eat it. Chopped apple, prunes, dates, berries, walnuts or banana make a nice addition. I have also added protein powder (but it makes it a bit sweet for my taste). Cinnamon or cardamom is also good.

Another good b'fast is potato salad (resistant starch) with lots of chopped eggs, celery and whatever else you like. You can make it with lowfat mayo, plain yogurt, or whatever you like. I like to add a little mustard or curry to mine. You can also add cottage cheese to increase the protein. Great stuff for potato lovers.

Deviled aggs are also good for breakfast. You can add some fat free ricotta to the eggs, as well as chopped green olives, curry powder, cayenne, whatever you like.

Fat free ricotta is a good substitute for cottage cheese, or can be mixed in with it to reduce the sodium content. I like to eat it with a little Splenda and some cinnamon.

Nice to see so many vegetarians here.

GREAT thread, btw..

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 06:40 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Leslie, I mix the dry ingredients for the 1-Minute muffin the night before too, although I do it right in the bowl I'm going to micro it in (I just put a paper towel over it & leave it on the counter).
I do this too. I just make multiple dry mixes in ziploc bags and keep them on hand for when I think I want one of the muffins in the morning.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 06:46 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I haven't read the whole thread - has the Green Smoothie been discussed? I have a green smoothie almost every morning.
Here is a recipe for the only green smoothie I've tried that doesn't make me gag:

2 cups Spinach
1 cup frozen berries ( I use Strawberries)
1 cup water or a little less
1/4 inch piece of fresh ginger root( I use double because I love ginger!)

Its very refreshing!
Old 05-23-10, 06:51 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Another Smoothie I like but its not green:

Peach Almond Smoothie

1 cup frozen peaches
1 cup almond milk (I use unsweetened regular)
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 tablespoon almond butter

You can use a dash of almond extract instead of the almond butter but I think it tastes kind of fake even with the pure stuff. It does save on the calories though!

Leslie
Old 05-23-10, 06:54 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

I have been on a black beans and rice with fresh salsa kick for breakfast. It really stays with me. I just make up a batch and eat it for a few days. Lasts nicely in the fridge.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 07:42 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I had the best pancakes while I was on Kaui, macadamia nuts, banana, and coconut pancakes. I swear, I'll crave these pancakes forever!

Since my return I've been eating a healthier version, frozen multi-grain waffles, sliced bananas, cinnamon, eggs, and agave. It's really yummy.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 10:09 AM  
mich1212

I agree on the Kashi. I'll have a bowl of Kashi Go Lean Crunch with almond milk (protein bonus). It's great. Add a piece of fruit and you'll be full for most of the morning.
mich1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 12:16 PM  
videofit

I think people are still of the mindset that an egg breakfast is high calorie and they've given up on fried potatoes.

One of my favorite breakfasts which I usually eat every other day:

Coat the bottom of a frying pan with 2 t olive oil or use a spray for fewer calories.

Fry 5 oz boiled potato, sliced, until golden and remove and keep warm. I generally boil these on the weekend. If it's a large russet potato, I will halve it and it's usually about 4 oz. I weigh all my food.

Fry 1 large egg and 1/3 c. ReddiEgg. I generally crack the egg and pour the ReddiEgg around it, then flip over only the egg so the yolk is still liquid but the outside is cooked quickly. The ReddiEgg doesn't need to be flipped because it's such a thin layer and cooks thoroughly if the pan is large enough. You can also whip it altogether for an omelet but I like gooey yolk on my potatoes. I season with garlic salt and curry powder from my local Indian store.

This is a very satisfying breakfast, you won't feel like you are dieting. These are my stats from Fitday today:

Calories: 318
Protein: 17g
Fat: 14g (3g of it are saturated)
Carbs: 29g

Tags
breakfast, easy recipe, recipe, steel cut oats