Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-20-22, 07:07 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It was a miserable day here, gray and rainy most of the day. We hung out, got a few things done around the house, watched TV, and caught up with a couple of people on the phone. Overnight, the rain will turn into ice and/or snow. I'm hoping for more snow and less ice. They're supposed to get hit harder to the east, near the shore.

I've been on the same regimen of three drugs for my psoriatic arthritis for 12-13 years and then the doctor ended one of those three drugs. When I went on that combination, I prayed it would work because it was the last drug option I had. There were no new drugs in the pipeline for psoriatic arthritis patients. Companies tend to develop drugs for rheumatoid arthritis patients and test them for that group. After a few years, they get around to testing for the psoriatics. In the past few years, the pipeline has refilled and multiple new drugs have been released for psoriatic arthritis patients. So, my hope is that we will try something new that will work. Any of the other older drugs I tried, so I will focus on the new options with the doctor.

Paula - Isn't Costco great for stuff like eyeglasses? Even if we never shopped there for anything other than my hearing aid and glasses for both of us, it would be worth the yearly fee. We do go there sometimes, but not all the time for regular shopping. Focusing on food would probably be similar to taking liquid tumeric - it might help some, but it wouldn't solve the problem of the inflammation and the pain it causes. It's significant and systemic and will take drugs to end this (hopefully).

Anita - I think going off the Naprocen increased the inflammation in the areas I have arthritis that hasn't been diagnosed and that is harder to treat - back and hips. It would be nice if there were just another anti-inflammatory that could help. I'm sorry your glaucoma is so bad. Is the massage a long-term solution?

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 09:29 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 3 - Cardio.

Not much to talk about today - made two loaves of pear bread and that's about it. It was a lovely warm and sunny day here and I just enjoyed it.

Didn't get to Costco to pick out glasses, I need to get that done tomorrow.

Anita, reading your comment on Senior Co-op, that you avoid places that only have a two sink bathroom. Forgive my ignorance but I don't understand what you mean. I think you've told me before you have glaucoma and I had simply forgotten. I'm sorry, it must be a daily challenge especially having to massage your eyes four times per day.

Laura, my brother called today and we were discussing the new patio furniture and landscaping they had done I asked him to send me pictures and he responded the weather outside was too bad - he send pictures later. So I figured you guys were having a gloomy day. Good luck finding a drug therapy that works for you. Yes, Costco is our go-to place for glasses. We get some other stuff there too, paper products etc. I've always thought it was worth the yearly fee. We don't go as often as many people I know because we don't buy food - the quanities are too large for just two people. Yeah, diet is something people say will cure anything and everything but when you are sick it's rarely the case. Only slightly relevant I was in Ulta one day and the sales person came over trying to sell me some face product I told her I never change what I use because it's prescription. She asked what for and I said skin cancer she tried to sell me some cleanser that the company said would wash away skin cancer - I tried not to laugh in her face but I thought that was border line illegal. I sincerely hope no one buys that cleanser thinking it's going to their cure skin cancer.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-22, 08:06 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on giving Adelija a ride to school and working at the WRC. I also hope to take Gus for a real walk today as the temps will be in the teens. Otherwise more putzing - I've recorded some old favorite shows and should catch up on watching them.

Laura, sorry I forgot you had psoriatic arthritis, not rheumatoid, although you go to a rheumatoid arthritis doctor. Hope the new drugs you try work for you! Yeah, eye massage is a long term thing - I've been doing it for years once a day, now four times a day for my right eye. I don't know if this would help open up the surgical hole (implanted metal tube) placed in that eye. My left eye has been doing well with it's surgical hole done by an old surgeon that has since died - he applied some sort of tissue killer to make the hole. I massage my left eye once a day. I don't do a Costco or Sam's club membership any more - the groceries were simply too much for a single person to handle. I don't need 5 lbs of nuts or 6 heads of lettuce.

Paula, as a single person, I prefer a bathroom with only one sink. The two sink ones are a waste of space and make me feel like I'm missing a person in my life - don't need that reminder every time I'm in the bathroom . Oy on that sales person at Ulta!

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-22, 07:31 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

This morning, it was dry, but very, very gloomy - gray, dim, low clouds, etc. This afternoon, it started snowing. The last I looked, we had a dusting. Polly had a tough day. She went outside several times, but came back in pretty quickly. For here, it's really cold - we didn't get out of the 20s. (I know in Minnesota, that would be a heat wave and people would be out washing their cars ).

Paula - That's hard to believe that a sales person would make a claim like that. I'd be tempted to find a feedback form on ulta.com and report it. But then, I'm more obnoxious than you... I'm glad you had a warm day. It as with good reason your brother didn't want to do pictures today.

Anita - Yeah, the scale of Costco packages is BIG. We tend to get more drug store stuff because you pay the same amount as online, but you get more. And their "use by" dates are much longer. I do get some food that I can freeze in smaller units. But we mainly go for the glasses and hearing aid.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-22, 09:27 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout today was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 4 - Moderate Weights and some stretching with Tamilee.

I did get to Costco to order the glasses - should take about a week.

Anita, hope you and Gus got your long walk. Actually I prefer a bathroom with one sink too as I prefer the counter space. Our master bathroom only has one sink, we could have added a second sink when we did the recent remodel but chose not to.

Laura, We get some food items at Costco but very few - drinks or canned things. Like you it's the pharmancy items we mostly buy and of course, glasses. I thought about doing a negative review on Ulta but I think sometimes these people are working for specific brands. I know in my Ulta there's a section that is just MAC.
Old 01-22-22, 09:08 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on walking Gus and giving Adelija a ride to the Science Museum, which she's touring with the rest of her GreenHeart group. Otherwise putzing.

Laura, the 20s are considered to be nice winter days here, but no car washes in freezing weather . I kind of feel sorry for the workers at the car washes not having very regular jobs during winter - either a flood of people coming through if the temps are above freezing or no one. Poor Polly .

Paula, with temps in the single digits, I took Gus on a short walk, but still in a park - he enjoys them! It's been a loooooooong time since I've been in an Ulta - no makeup here, but I do use some good quality moisturizers.

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-22, 09:13 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 5 Core and some stretching afterward.

I decided I would like some reading glasses so went back to Costco today. They are going to put reading lenses in a pair of my frames. I still have a pair to use as backcups.

Anita, I hear you about people in car washes during the winter. There are lots of people in seasonal jobs. I only go into an Ulta when I need something. I still use makeup - I enjoy it. I stocked up during the holiday sales on skincare and makeup so I shouldn't need anything for at least six months.