Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-01-21, 07:58 AM  
Calistro

I have been free from this for over a year now.

It took a year to be rid of it. I did lots of calf stretches daily through out the day and slow calf pumps/heel raises.

I also lived in new balance foam trainers with a good neutral insole that stopped my heels from eversion and inversion. I would wear them whereever I went, even with a dress. It was not pretty, but at least I can get back to some normality now.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-21, 09:37 AM  
Leonana

I wear Birkenstock’s in the house. We have hard ceramic tile floors. That helped the most. I have another similar but cheaper pair of sandals for going out. I’m in Phoenix, so I wear them most of the year. In winter, I put inserts in my tennis shoes.

I also stretch my calves when I first get up in the morning, so I don’t walk when the muscles are cold.

When it was the most painful, I rode my exercise bike for cardio and did chair workouts for strength.
Old 10-01-21, 10:29 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I struggled with this for a long time. The only thing that worked was to get prednisone injections from a podiatrist. I had to get two injections before the pain subsided, and finally went away.

Since then I do the stretching and massage to keep it from coming back, and that has worked. I also wear supports in my shoes.

I would really recommend seeing a podiatrist if you've been struggling with this issue.
Old 10-01-21, 10:30 AM  
edensmom

I've been struggling with this since the beginning of August. It has improved a lot since then and I am now mostly pain free and can actually bear weight on my feet again right out of bed in the morning.

Tugger I know you are asking for specific rotation recommendations. I think any low impact rotation would work. Nourishmovelove has a new 4 week challenge starting Monday. I've found her low impact workouts still bring the intensity and she either has a modifier or shows mods herself. I really enjoy her workouts and have followed a few of the 2 week rotations she has posted. https://www.nourishmovelove.com/30-d...-workout-plan/
I really do think you can do any low impact plan however. I also have degenerative disc disease/sciatica that flares up which is another thing I have to work around and these workouts work for the most part.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-21, 05:14 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Lots of stretches esp calf. Down dog helps. Low impact. I tried dance workout -- not for me since I have 2 left feet. I did a lot of kickboxing. Sometimes I string together Cathe's warm up.

I don't think any body has a specific rotation. Do what works for you.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-21, 09:38 PM  
kat999

I've been struggling with this off and on for a few years and have had a particularly nasty flare-up this year. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 10-05-21, 04:57 PM  
Castella

I haven't posted here in years. However: foot pain. The best thing for me was physical therapy which I just finished recently. Saw a podiatrist several times, got orthotics--after PF for years, arch on one foot collapsed. Physical therapy had me sweating and doing low plyo within 6 weeks. Did a lot of work on the arch muscles, calves, hips, glutes, strengthening ankles and balance.

For years I tried to manage PF myself with stretching, lots of cushion in shoes and so on. I'm not sure that physical therapy would have helped sooner? but with the collapsed arch I was in constant pain and no longer sure what to work on.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 01:40 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I spoke too soon. My right heel is starting to hurt a little bit. I have been wandering around the house barefoot in the warm summer weather so that's probably a factor. I am gong to try stretching and massages, but I will go back to physical therapy and a podiatrist if necessary.

If anyone has any suggestions for athletic shoe brands with good arch supports let me know.

Time to get serious about stretching!
Old 10-08-21, 07:37 PM  
Bluebelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I spoke too soon. My right heel is starting to hurt a little bit. I have been wandering around the house barefoot in the warm summer weather so that's probably a factor. I am gong to try stretching and massages, but I will go back to physical therapy and a podiatrist if necessary.

If anyone has any suggestions for athletic shoe brands with good arch supports let me know.

Time to get serious about stretching!
I've had a time recently trying to buy new sneakers. To make a long story short I had a really good sales person at Dick's Sporting Goods help me.

She told me the Brooks Adrenaline is recommended for planter fascitis. It's a stability shoe. I've never tried that before. It is very comfortable but a little bit more clunky than I'm used to. I don't have planter fascitis but apparently I pronate so she recommend this shoe to me.
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 09:00 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
Oofos flip flops with arch support were a lifesaver for me. I thought going barefoot would keep my feet strong, but nope. If I spend the first few hours in these flip flops, my plantar fascitis stays away, despite the fact that I feel like I'm waddling around like an old lady in them.
I second Oofos, they were a lifesaver for me too a few years ago when my PF was threatening to rear it’s ugly head again. They aren’t very glamorous, but they work, they take the weight off the back edge of your heel.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plantar fasciitis, seated workouts