Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-21, 10:54 AM  
bfit

How high impact is Cathe's Boss Bands workout?

I preordered Cathe's new Boss Bands set months ago before I knew that there would be all sorts of restrictions placed on my activities because of damage from breaking my foot. It arrived yesterday, I haven't opened it, and I wrote to the Cathe website to ask whether I could return it. I can't do any high impact (no jumping, leaping, hopping, running) and can't do anything on the balls of my feet (no full pushups, no mountain climbers). For those of you familiar with this workout how much impact is there? I would like to be able to do it, but I don't want to have to modify literally everything.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-21, 11:02 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

it's high . Look on her forum. it says it there..

with the limitations you have, this may not be optimal at this time

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-21, 11:44 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I preordered Cathe's new Boss Bands set months ago before I knew that there would be all sorts of restrictions placed on my activities because of damage from breaking my foot. It arrived yesterday, I haven't opened it, and I wrote to the Cathe website to ask whether I could return it. I can't do any high impact (no jumping, leaping, hopping, running) and can't do anything on the balls of my feet (no full pushups, no mountain climbers). For those of you familiar with this workout how much impact is there? I would like to be able to do it, but I don't want to have to modify literally everything.
I've done the entire Total Body workout that is about 57 min and uses a long "joined" band that is around 10-12' if you were to make a single cut with scissors, if that makes sense. in its joined state, it's half that amount.

there is no jumping or high impact in the cardio sense.

however, in most of the moves, you'll be either standing on the band with one or both of your feet. she sometimes uses the blue and orange band together when working the larger muscles. if you're on the floor, there are moves where you've got the band looped around one or both of your feet, with the band "doubled up" or singly looped, if that makes sense.

i used my Beachbody bands - didn't buy her fabric bands. with the Beachbody bands, you can cut the tension in half on the fly, which i did in a few instances because my right shoulder is recovering from an unjury.

with lower body moves, either standing or on the floor, you could probably cut the tension in half using a joined band.

if your injured foot can tolerate the above, or if you can just use your good foot for any of the moves, then it could work for you.

i'll add my post from the other thread.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-21, 11:47 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I actually have and have done both workouts. The Glutes and Core one does have cardio exercises which I expect you would need to modify so this one might be one to consider down the road but maybe not now. The Total Body workout doesn't have any cardio in it and I don't recall any jumping moves that were absolutely necessary to do the moves. However, you might have an issue with putting constant weight on your foot so there are squat type moves and many (if not most) moves are done standing.

I agree with Cheryl's idea to check out the comments on Cathe's forum, but I don't agree with posting that the workouts are high impact without actually doing them herself.

ETA: Jeannine was posting at the same time and she expressed it much better the point I was trying to make about weight bearing than I did!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-21, 11:48 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

copied from the reviews thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
I'll post a more detailed review later, but here are my comments on the Total Body workout (~57 min total) that uses the longer band set. She uses all 3 bands in the set, each of which are a continuous loop, appearing to be about 10'-12' if you were to make a cut into it. These differ from the hip bands used in the other workout. The hip bands were not used in this workout.

I used my Beachbody bands - i just purchased the DVDs only.

key takeaways:
  • about 98% of the moves can be done with regular, unjoined resistance bands (tubing)
  • I recommend wearing workout gloves like Cathe and crew to provide more grip on the bands and to protect the skin on your hands.
  • using a "joined" band like the ones that are offered and used in this workout has its pros and cons. because a joined band is a continuous loop, you're essentially doubling up on the resistance. it's possible to reduce the resistance by altering how you hold a looped band.
  • since I used a non-joined band, I was able to quickly take the resistance down by half. note that I did not preview this workout - I went straight in!
  • i have varying levels of Beachbody resistance bands to my avail and laid them out before I started the workout. I used mostly the red and magenta levels (60# and 40# respectively) and used the teal (10#) for the anterior delt moves. Note that when I use dumbbells for anterior delt moves, I use 4# or less.
  • although it may appear that you can get away with 1 or 2 bands, sometimes the strongest band is needed for the bigger muscles. Case in point - she does a couple of different moves for the legs in standing and supine positions. Cathe doubled up the heavy (blue) and medium (orange) and I was able to use the densest Beachbody band without straining since the position you're in is all thighs and glutes - big muscles. I could have gone heavier in these moves.
  • I'm recovering from a right shoulder injury, and having the ability to use half the resistance "on the fly" was a clear benefit in using an unlooped resistance band.
  • I don't recall a modifier in this workout. Correct me if I am wrong. for example, you do push-ups with the band around your upper back to add resistance. all of them were using a band and doing it on their toes. i'm a pushup wuss and did them on my knees, and halfway through, I removed the band.
  • There are about a half-dozen pre-mixes on this DVD which I have yet to try.
  • The only other Cathe band workout I own is Travel Fit, and that one impressed me more than this one, although this one has some novel moves.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 08-26-21, 12:48 PM  
fanofladyvols

I have a calf strain to work around and had no problem with modifying out any impact and didn't aggravate my calf.

How are you with the ability to do single leg moves like rear lunges and single leg hip hinges? Does standing with a band underneath your foot feel ok?

Also, how are you in balancing your weight on floor work where three limbs are in contact while the other is in the air?

I remember having to watch all that and was fine but, like I said, it's my calf, not my foot.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-21, 01:16 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

bfit - i have another comment that might help you regarding your foot.

i did the TB workout with the long band entirely barefoot, but if you decide to keep yours, i'd suggest doing it with shoes, something with a moderately solid sole in your case given your injury. in fact, it might really minimize any strain on your foot.

there is a move where Cathe does calf raises, band underneath balls of both feet, and goes up and down. you could do this by not going as high and contracting your calves. this might even strengthen your plantaar. you could do it without the band (just drop it near you) too given your situation.

Tags
boss bands total body, boss loops glutes core, cathe, resistance bands