Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-14-21, 05:41 PM  
MathTeacher

I did not realize it was a new set. I got mine today! Mary has the best service.
Old 01-18-21, 12:19 PM  
alisoncooks

I have both the chair Pilates and chair yoga sets. My plan is to alternate them, 1 section a day, to ease back in to exercise.

Today was the first segment from Sandry's Pilates set: Lower Body. Honestly, I did not love it. It started off standing, with calf raises and squats. Then on to standing balance/leg raises-circles. Then seated leg raises. Then rear leg lifts in a tabletop position (hands on chair). Then pelvic tilts in same position. (I'm going from memory, but that's the basic order.)

My back is sore from the pelvic tilt stuff. This session reminded me of the Core/Balance from one of Jane Adams's DVDs (some 1-legged balance with seated core movements...but Jane doesn't hurt my back...) All in all, if I want to target lower body, I'd likely go elsewhere for more (gentler) bang for my buck (like Winsor B&T).

(Sorry to be a downer. I'm sure the other segments will be better!)
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-21, 03:29 PM  
katalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I have both the chair Pilates and chair yoga sets. My plan is to alternate them, 1 section a day, to ease back in to exercise.

Today was the first segment from Sandry's Pilates set: Lower Body. Honestly, I did not love it. It started off standing, with calf raises and squats. Then on to standing balance/leg raises-circles. Then seated leg raises. Then rear leg lifts in a tabletop position (hands on chair). Then pelvic tilts in same position. (I'm going from memory, but that's the basic order.)

My back is sore from the pelvic tilt stuff. This session reminded me of the Core/Balance from one of Jane Adams's DVDs (some 1-legged balance with seated core movements...but Jane doesn't hurt my back...) All in all, if I want to target lower body, I'd likely go elsewhere for more (gentler) bang for my buck (like Winsor B&T).

(Sorry to be a downer. I'm sure the other segments will be better!)
Thanks for sharing your review/thoughts. My thoughts on watching the preview of that segment were that I would not like that segment. I was intrigued by the others though. Please keep posting as you complete the segments.
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-21, 11:49 AM  
alisoncooks

Day 2 was yoga. Disc 1, workout 1 from the Chair Yoga set (which I believe is a previous release).

This is an all-seated workout. TBH, I knew going in that this wouldn't be my jam, and I was right, lol. Lots of breathing (some pulsing navel contractions on exhale, lion's breath). And some upper body/neck stretching.

Perhaps I don't have the right sort of chair for this, but I find seated forward bends/rag doll sooooo uncomfortable. Too much chair-edge pressure on the upper back thighs. Anyhoo...

This is a skip for me...but I wasn't surprised. It's not my preferred style of yoga workout. Oh well, onward and upward!
Old 01-20-21, 10:47 AM  
alisoncooks

Day 3: Chair Pilates Upper Body

Starts seated, with large range arm movements. Next is some standing work (hands on chair for tabletop position or press ups). Then seated with light weights (curls, shoulder presses). Finishing with unweighted stuff.

Nothing really wrong with this workout. I have had several of Sandry's DVDs before, and I'm running into the same pet peeve with this one: she just doesn't cue well. She doesn't always cue reps, and if I'm curling down in rag doll or in tabletop position doing kickbacks, I don't want to watch the screen. I remember this same issue with the 30 Days to Flat Abs DVD.

Anyway, that's both workouts from disc 1 done. Who knows, maybe disc 2 will blow me away! There is a stretch on disc 1 (also on disc 2, I'm assuming it's the same stretch...) Calf raises and mini squats and leg swings and chair-assisted down dog, iirc. Then some seated stretches...
Old 01-20-21, 01:30 PM  
dnna

I did not like the upper body one either. It seemed really slow and the transitions from chair to standing are very slow. The music is awful=tedious,on a loop. over and over. I muted the sound and finished it.
I had the same problem with the lower body workout, although the actual exercises were good. It just took so long to set up.

I hope the core and full body workouts are good.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-21, 10:57 AM  
alisoncooks

Day 4: Chair Yoga disc 1, seated/standing practice.

This one was pretty good. I liked most of the moves and the flow. One thing to point out (and I think this is consistent with all the New Shoot productions) -- they don't mirror cue.

Also, I once again had the issue with many of the chair moves being uncomfortable because of the edge of the chair applying too much pressure. There was a seated section of warrior 2, which I'd much rather just do standing. Hurt my bum.
Old 01-21-21, 12:43 PM  
dnna

I use an upholstered dining room chair, and downstairs where I have a folding card table chair I use a flat chair cushion that I got a Walmart? just a chair cushion or a folded towel, a flat pillow? or maybe try doing it on your stability ball!

good luck

donna
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caroline sandry, chair pilates, chair yoga, pilates