Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-22, 01:20 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Hi all! I suddenly realized I hadn't checked in for quite a while.

Allison, I'm glad you had your hand looked at. I fell down the last couple of stairs in the house two years ago and am pretty sure I fractured my hand. DH said not much could be done so I never went in but I feel like my thumb didn't heal properly. I'd say get imaging if yours doesn't! What is your new meal plan? I have a sort of rough one in mind, to get back on track after Seattle.

Daphne, did you do anything for your anniversary? Mine and DH's 19th was yesterday. He worked so we didn't go out or anything but I'm hoping we at least get dinner out and alone this weekend.

Vantreesta, I'm afraid to even try the lateral trainer! I'd be hanging on for dear life. I'm even afraid to try the curved treadmill and incline trainer for now, though I am very curious about the incline trainer. How old are the kids you watched? Weather seems crazy everywhere this year. We've had some really big swings too.

On that note, it's a high of 85 today. Last week the lows were in the 30s and we had to cover the plans so they wouldn't freeze!

Seattle was great! DS was so unhappy about missing a school field trip and his friend's birthday party, and apprehensive about getting carsick. He took a LOT of Dramamine but made it through, and once the things he would miss passed, he really enjoyed it. We left Friday and the meet was Monday so we did some touristy stuff. Went to Pike Place market, Chihuly museum, and Space Needle. We also had DD's teammates to our rental house one evening for pizza and ate with them all after the meet too.

It was good time together for all of us, I felt. Nice to get away and DD and I weren't constantly battling over missed assignments and chores not getting done. Because that's what my life seems to have turned into!

While in Seattle I mostly did Peloton barre workouts. There was a little unheated room at the back of the house where the washer, dryer, and water heater were. There were also weights and a nice yoga mat so I took advantage of it all!

Still doing the Lindsay Brin Pretty Fierce 4 series. I'm in phase 3 of 4 so only about 2.5 weeks to go. I think it's helped me build up some muscle. I'm also doing PT for my weak core. I'm seriously mostly just stretching and doing like 3 or 4 exercises. Hopefully they'll ramp it up this week or next, though my back does still get cranky.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-22, 10:28 PM  
Vantreesta

I did a mish mash today. Before breakfast (but after coffee!) I did Human 2.0 Fitness Movement Challenge day 10 and Yoga With Bird 30 Days of Yoga day 8. I am loving this movement challenge and the yoga practice was perfect for today. This afternoon I did the floor routines for hips & butt and upper back from Jill Miller's Massage Therapy Kit, Caroline Jordan Exercises to Help High Hamstring Tendonitis Pain, Lauren Brooks' squat challenge day 10, GuerrillaZen bulletproof knees, Jill Miller YTU Quick Fix Lower Body feet and ankles, posture exercises and PT stuff. Never made it to the main workout bc I dozed off doing my stretches! I took that as a pretty good sign I didn't have the energy for my run.

Pratima, the kids are 9 and 11. Other than bedtime they minded pretty well. Bedtime did go better the second night. Glad you had such a great trip to Seattle! I finished season 14 of Supernatural and agree with you, Rowena really grew on me. I also hated to admit I liked Crowley. Now that I'm on the last season I'm only watching one episode a night bc I don't want it to end!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-22, 10:45 AM  
Vantreesta

I didn't workout yesterday at all. I'm not happy with that choice but I can't change it now so I need to just make better choices today. I was having an emotional day and just really at loose ends, unable to really focus on anything till I should have been going to bed and then I got on the computer and stayed up till 1:15. Even though I argued with myself that I should just go to bed. Sigh. Today is a new day!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 03-07-22, 12:34 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Vantreesta, 9 and 11 are good ages! Relatively independent but not giant pains yet (like my 12 year old). I ended up liking Crowley too! I think in the end the only "villain" I still hated was Lucifer. You'll have to let me know when you finish the series.

FWIW, I realized yesterday I'm much better at dealing with pretty much anything if I get more sleep. It was a long week of dealing with a lot of stuff from DD (high/lowlight was her lying about a ton of missed assignments and thereby missing practice Wed. night) that I thought ended yesterday but didn't. I remained shockingly calm though because I got lots of sleep Friday AND Saturday night.

This is my kids' last week of school before their 2-week spring break. No trips planned other than going to the Ostrich Festival 3/19 (I won tickets) and the botanical garden (mostly to see the Chihuly pieces there). I'll take a couple of days off and see what comes up. Honestly right now I'm hoping it's just less drama since DD can't miss schoolwork when there's no school.

For workouts I'm in the last phase of Lindsay's Fierce 4. I did upper body today and wasn't super-impressed. The phases haven't had tons of variety but I do like the types of moves she includes. Lots of balance work, unilateral, mobility, etc. I'm trying to also bike and do elliptical for cardio, though my back still bothers me on and off. I have two PT appointments scheduled this week and then I think I'll go to one per week. DD is supposed to go 3x/week during break, so we'll see.

I really want to get a HIIT trainer! Costco had one last week so I was able to see it in person. It's a much smaller footprint than an elliptical. I wasn't able to try it though. It's supposed to be really tough because it's like a combination of an elliptical and stairclimber. I don't really have space BUT this weekend DD said she finally wants new furniture. Depending on what she gets, we may move a chair out of the workout room, so we'll see!

Hope everyone is well!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 03-08-22, 05:27 PM  
Daphne M

HI guys! Just commenting so you all know I'm still here and still working out. I've wanted to check in a bunch of times but I've been putting in some long hours at work and when I'm not working, I just can't bring myself to sit down at the very same computer I associate with work.

In a fit nutshell, I've been mainly rowing and cycling with 2-3 strength sessions a week and very little running. I've been letting the body parts heal that were strained when I did the splits on a patch of ice in January. A visit to the chiropractor a couple of weeks ago helped immeasurably and now just a matter of keeping other muscles from getting hurt because of wonky movement patterns.

The rowing, the cycling and a focus on strength work is working well. I do feel strong! Favorite workouts this week:

Rowing - All great rows from Hydrow lately!
  1. The one that sticks with me the most is Mike's 15 minute Quick HIIT Row from LA. Lots of intervals varying from 15 seconds to 1 minute long, mostly 28 to 32 S/M. Not a lot of chit chat, just a good solid workout. They've been rowing in Port of LA for about two weeks and it's low-key nerve wracking to see their slender sculls surrounded by enormous container ships. But always something to see!
  2. Also rowing - There was a great one with Mac from Port of LA that had seals (or was it dolphins) or was that Dani and the dolphins. Dammit! I actually emailed Hydrow to ask them to start putting a mention in the titles of these rows when there's a good wildlife sighting. I want to row all of them.
  3. Final rowing - A very funny pairs row with Mike and Mac, again in LA, a 20 minute drive with some funny travel tips and a mention of the mix tape that a young Mike gave his high school sweetheart -- and she immediately broke up with him. LOL.

Cycling -
  1. I can't believe I am even writing this but I loved Cody's XOXO Valentines Row. He was funny, I could not disagree with any of his love life advice and I enjoyed the workout itself.
  2. But I mostly seem to gravitate to Ben, Sam, Bradley, Emma and Dennis.
  3. For some weird reason I did a 20 minute Low Impact EDM Ride with Kendall this morning and I cannot explain what the heck went through my mind when I picked that one. Like, individually I can handle Low Impact and I sometimes like EDM and I sometimes like Kendall, but all together - DISASTER. Never again.

Running/Walking/Hiking - 3 test runs since January, the longest was 2 miles. Lots of walks, mostly only a quick mile. Weekly hike - usually 4-6 miles.

Out of time, gotta go start cooking (I've got a delicious recipe for salmon with a teriyaki/ginger/garlic glaze and some edamame. Fast, healthy, yummy.) Then, sigh, must pack for a work trip tomorrow.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-22, 04:51 PM  
Vantreesta

I've been working out just not getting around to posting. We've gotten in a couple nice walks around the ice. Today it's super windy and nasty again. Definitely has not been a mild winter nor a good old fashioned Minnesota one either!

Fri 3/4 45 minutes
00 minutes (from PT stuff) didn't time it
16 minutes (from L. Sansone WAKE UP & Walk! Week 5 | Walk At Home YouTube Workout Series | Mini Walk Standing Pilates and Pilates Mat Workout, YT)
29 minutes (from 3 dog walks 2.05 mi)

Sat 3/5 109 minutes
21 minutes (from C. Friedrich Total Muscle Sculpting -Lower Body Sculpting)
10 minutes (from C. Friedrich Total Muscle Sculpting -Stability Ball Abs)
11 minutes (from C. Friedrich Total Body Stretching -Stretching with Ball #2)
20 minutes (from YTU balls/foam rollers/other massage torture tools)
47 minutes (from 3 dog walks 3.33 mi)

Sun 3/6 20 minutes D&D
20 minutes (from 2 dog walks 1.38 mi)

Mon 3/7 47 minutes
15 minutes (from PT stuff)
32 minutes (from 3 dog walks 2.35 mi) bad headache all day

Tue 3/8 187 minutes
14 minutes (from PT stuff)
15 minutes (from D. Beatty Fitness Fix Beginner -Foam Roller Massage)
16 minutes (from M. Hsu Upright Health -Home Workout Strong Hips Make Good Sleep, YT) 1st time
15 minutes (from C. Jordan 15-Minute Glute Activation Workout, YT)
15 minutes (from L. Sansone WAKE UP & Walk! Week 6 | Walk At Home YouTube Workout Series | Mini Walk, Kick & Jab and Lower Body, YT)
36 minutes (from 2.0 mi Virtual Active British Columbia Coast Hike with weighted vest)
19 minutes (from C. Donnelly Strong Knees -7 Minutes to Save Your Knees + stretching)
57 minutes (from 3 dog walks 3.74 mi)

Wed 3/9 49 minutes
25 minutes (from S. Starr Happy Yoga Pebble Shore, TV) 1st time
00 minutes (from PT stuff) didn't time it
24 minutes (from 2 dog walks 1.68 mi) tired & sinus-y

Thu 3/10 122 minutes
10 minutes (from FemFusion Core Resilience At-Home Kegel Camp, Day 9, YT) 1st time
11 minutes (from PT stuff)
8 minutes (from L. Holden 9-Min Qi Gong for Winter Routine, YT) 1st time
14 minutes (from C. Jordan Build a Better Butt Workout, YT)
15 minutes (from Yoga With Bird -Morning Yoga Stretch to Feel Incredible | 30 Day Yoga Challenge 2022 | DAY 9, YT) 1st time
6 minutes (from Yoga Treat 21-Day Yin Yoga Pose Challenge day 3-reversed pontoon pose, YT) 1st time
58 minutes (from 3 dog walks 3.75 mi)

Old 03-20-22, 03:52 PM  
Vantreesta

Hey, guys! Not sure why I haven't posted. I guess I spend too much time playing word games, Sudoku and logic problems when I'm at the computer! We had a great time on our snowshoeing trip. We didn't put in as many miles as in the past but that's okay. It was good to get away with hubby and see him relax and enjoy himself for a few days anyway. And we had our white chocolate chai! Workouts have been going well and I even ran on the hotel treadmill Monday after snowshoeing in the morning. I've run twice outside since we got home and it was awesome.

Sat 3/12 150 minutes
116 minutes (from snowshoeing 2.31 mi with hubby at MLSP) snow up to our knees for part
24 minutes (from PT stuff & massage tools)
10 minutes (from 1 dog walks .68 mi)

Sun 3/13 152 minutes
152 minutes (from snowshoeing 3.91 mi with hubby at BHLSP)

Mon 3/14 186 minutes UP NORTH
124 minutes (from snowshoeing 3.37 mi with hubby at SB trails)
31 minutes (from 2.32 mi run on tm for 10k trainer wk2 day1/Zombies Run S3M49)
21 minutes (from L. Fightmaster -Full Body Yoga Stretch for Flexibility, YT) 1st time?
10 minutes (from PT stuff)

Tue 3/15 16 minutes UP NORTH
16 minutes (from a dog walk 1.06 mi)

Wed 3/16 99 minutes
23 minutes (from PT stuff)
7 minutes (from Human 2.0 Fitness -MOVEMENT CHALLENGE - Day 11 | Mobility Training & Injury Prevention Exercises, YT) 1st time
13 minutes (from C. Jordan Exercises to Help High Hamstring Tendonitis Pain, YT)
9 minutes (from Dr. Bri FemFusion Progressive Relaxation for Pelvic Floor, YT (1st time)
47 minutes (from 3 dog walks 3.22 mi)

Thu 3/17 133 minutes
9 minutes (from C. Jordan Better Butt Bodyweight Workout part 2 Floor Series, YT)
31 minutes (from 2.49 mi run for 10k trainer wk2 day2/Zombies Run S3M50/Twins spring training!!)
11 minutes (from B. Bowman GuerrillaZen Fitness 10-min Knee Stability Routine for Bulletproof Knees, YT)
9 minutes (from H. Clare Run Better With Yoga -Best Exercises for Piriformis Syndrome, YT)
20 minutes (from M. Giordano Athletic Yoga: Yoga for Runners post-run practice)
38 minutes (from 3 dog walks 2.72 mi)

Fri 3/18 146 minutes
12 minutes (from FemFusion The Pelvic Floor Matters At-Home Kegel Camp, Day 10, YT) 1st time
12 minutes (from Movement Parallels Life -Primal Movement | Fun Bodyweight Workout | MOVE, FEEL, and LOOK your BEST in 2022, YT) 1st time
12 minutes (from C. Jordan Hamstring Tendonitis Pain: Exercises That Will Help Heal Your Hamstrings part 2, YT)
10 minutes (from J. Miller YTU Quick Fix Rx Lower Body Series-feet & ankles)
16 minutes (from L. Sansone WAKE UP & Walk! Week 7 | Walk At Home YouTube Workout Series | Mini Walk with HIIT Training and Full Body Stretch, YT)
13 minutes (from L. Brooks 21-Day Squat Challenge warmup + day 11)
13 minutes (from Yoga With Bird -The Ultimate Everyday Yoga Stretch & Flow | 30 Day Yoga Challenge 2022 | DAY 10, YT) 1st time
7 minutes (from Yoga Treat 21-Day Yin Yoga Pose Challenge day 4-seal pose, YT) 1st time
36 minutes (from 3 dog walks 2.52 mi)

Sat 3/19 120 minutes
31 minutes (from 2.48 mi run for 10k trainer wk2 day3/Zombies Run S3M51)
25 minutes (from foam rolling lower body)
29 minutes (from Yoga for Runners post-run practice from memory + extra)
35 minutes (from 3 dog walks 2.4 mi)

Old 03-21-22, 03:52 PM  
Vantreesta

Today I ran 2.15 mi for wk3 day1 of 10k trainer, day 1 of Lee Holden's free 5-day Qi Gong challenge, Caroline Jordan Tight Psoas & SI Joint Exercise Routine (new to me), and ball/foam rolling.

Old 03-24-22, 10:12 AM  
Vantreesta

Tuesday I only did day 2 of the Qi Gong challenge. Yesterday I did day 3 plus my PT stuff. I had a chiro appt yesterday morning and almost went through the roof when he went for the hip flexors after I told him about the restriction I was feeling in my bad hip. I knew they and my quads were feeling tight on that side but I had no idea just how bad! He told me to get a lacrosse ball bc I need to use smthg harder than what I've tried before. My walking was so much freer after that and I could actually stay in reclined cobbler's pose without support under my thighs for as long as I was supposed to. Huzzah! I'm ordering a lacrosse ball today bc I couldn't find any at Walmart.

Pratima, I finished Supernatural the night before last. I wasn't a fan of the next to the last episode. I cried through the finale!

Old 04-01-22, 01:46 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I'm here...having rough days with the DH (he's apparently mad at me for like a decade's worth of stuff), my dad's health is declining, and my grandma doesn't look so great either. The kids went back to school today, I have a friend visiting from out of town, on and on and on.

Vantreesta, I don't think I'll be able to see you this time! I'll text you though and get some details on your stay. Where did you snowshoe? I still really want to go! I can't believe it's still that cold there. It was in the 90s here last week, then it rained and we had a couple of cold days and now it's warming up again.

Supernatural--that last season was weird, wasn't it? I expected more in the last couple of episodes but I guess the ending made sense. I might rewatch the series once I make it through Grimm, and Ghosts, the other series I'm currently watching.

Daphne, somehow I've fallen off the rowing boat (haha). I'd say if you're able to do that and spin, you're getting a great full-body workout still. Where is the work trip to?

I went on this hike last Wed (9 days ago) that was just crazy. It was supposed to be 5.5 miles and about 3 hours. Instead it was 6 miles and more bouldering and bushwhacking through nasty desert terrain than hiking. There was a point where we realized the "route" (I use the term loosely) was unpassable and we had to turn around and go all the way back. That was kind of the beginning of my crazy life.

Since then I've mostly been walking and doing short weight workouts. I walked with a friend today and do some of the walks and weighs with DS. He loves the Peloton 15 minute flash full body so we did one of those today.

I was physically exhausted from that hike and it took a while to recover. Now I'm feeling emotionally beat up so I've been getting a lot of sleep. I actually feel better today and am hoping to at least do regular 30 minute workouts again! I'm still doing physical therapy for my weak abs/back too.

DD has her state meet the morning of April 10 so that's another sort of relief. But I found out yesterday qualifying for regionals might be kind of tough, so she's a little nervous about that. We're also redoing her room so she's on an inflatable mattress for now!

Lots going on. Is it ever going to settle down?? Vantreesta, I remember when we met you told me we're probably at an age where it won't. I think of that often!

Tags
curved treadmills