Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-14-22, 12:59 PM  
Vantreesta

Pratima, they have a meet in Seattle??? That seems so far away for kids' sports, holy cow! So for relaxing what I am really needing is more or less to do some yin yoga on my own, without any external input, if that makes sense. I need to have no distractions and focus on relaxing my muscles. So while Supernatural (and other things) may be relaxing for my mind, they really aren't for my body, which is holding tension in different areas that are just causing some dysfunction. After one day of doing this on Friday I actually haven't had pain in my hamstring tendons since then! I didn't really do anything for this on Saturday, just a deep squat hold once during the day and a few minutes of massage, and yesterday we played D&D all day so I didn't do anything then either. I hope the PT helps with your back! Every time I have gone to PT I have learned very valuable info.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-22, 01:07 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Pratima, they have a meet in Seattle??? That seems so far away for kids' sports, holy cow!
Yup! There are meets all over. I guess some teams travel a lot. At the lower levels all of our meets were in-state. From here on up I guess you travel more. Regionals will be in Ontario, CA. I actually booked a hotel room for that already!

We don't HAVE to go. For the Seattle meet, the gym did register her, but if we didn't want to pay all the travel fees, we could skip it. I have no idea how much more travel we'll have to do at even higher levels!

What you said about relaxing your body makes sense. I guess that's why I find yoga more relaxing than meditation. Doing something with my body, even if it's just a relaxation post, is more peaceful to me than trying to just sit.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-22, 01:51 PM  
Vantreesta

That's good that you wouldn't have to go if you didn't want or couldn't afford to pay the travel expenses. That just boggles my mind that they travel outside the state.

Yeah, meditation can calm my mind but I don't really find that it relaxes my body enough. I'm supposed to spend 10-25 breaths in 2-3 relaxing poses a day. Today will be my first real go at it on my own. Recognizing when a muscle is fully relaxed is part of the challenge for me!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 02-14-22, 02:59 PM  
Daphne M

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Yeah, meditation can calm my mind but I don't really find that it relaxes my body enough. I'm supposed to spend 10-25 breaths in 2-3 relaxing poses a day. Today will be my first real go at it on my own. Recognizing when a muscle is fully relaxed is part of the challenge for me!
I'm right there with you, Vantreesta. This is probably a challenge for all of us. Lately I'm loving mobility work and guided meditation. Also, how long have you been doing the deep squat holds? One of my preferred Peloton instructors (Ben) often includes a 45-second deep sit squat at the end of his stretch sessions. I'm guessing this is the same thing? (Kind of a birthing in the field position?) When I first started doing them they were not comfortable at all and I even got stuck trying to get up out of the squat. I've gotten better at them and keep meaning to research what the heck they're doing for me. Feels like a combo of strength & stretch of pelvis, quads and hamstrings.

Pratima - I hope the Seattle trip turns out well. Are you all flying there? That seems like it would take more than a day to drive it. I am exactly the same as you on relaxing. I need to get everything loose and circulation flowing and then I can relax. The way yoga emphasizes breath helps a lot too. Breathing makes a big difference in rowing too. (And yay! I am in the clear on getting Jamie's COVID. I tested negative twice. I really don't know how I didn't get it.)

Random workout comments:
  • I did a 15 minute Hydrow row last week that I loved: Laine's 15 minute Commit to Fit breathe. Highly recommend.
  • I never do Peloton live workouts but I've done about a dozen Hydrow live workouts and never fail to accidentally re-take one of them when they're released to the on demand library. It's crazy that TO THIS DAY I can do one of Cathe's Pyramid workouts or her Body Blasts for the umpteen millionth time and not be sick of it, but I need to wait months before I can repeat a Peloton or Hydrow workout even once.
  • I stuck to easy workouts this weekend (20 minute walk on Saturday and 25 minutes of rowing + legs/glutes strength on Sunday) so *should* have been pretty zippy on my workouts this morning. Instead I was exhausted. I need a nap!

Tomorrow is my 30th wedding anniversary and over 32 years since our first date. It struck me that I've now spent more years alive with Norm than without him. And maiden name vs. married name is about half and half now. Time flies!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-22, 09:12 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Hi everyone! I’ve been having a rough time lately, with few workouts and bad eating. I did go hiking the weekend before last, but I fell pretty hard, into a cold river’s edge, and I’m having some lingering issues from it. Life has been really, really stressful lately between family and work. My older daughter needs to be looking for a job but won’t, and my husband needs to retire from his toxic work situation, but is really hesitant. Both are driving me mad. And my temperature swings are the worst they’ve ever been.

But, as Daphne says, onward and upward. I am starting back slowly with a bike ride each day this week with one of my 5 favorite instructors. Yesterday was Sam and today will be Bradley. Then Leanne, Ben, and Denis. I think we’re going hiking again this weekend too. Then I’ll add strength training back in.

Daphne: So glad you didn’t get COVID. I’m the same—I have no idea how I didn’t get it from my kids. Happy Anniversary!

Pratima: I hope the Seattle trip goes well. I think Florida (from Virginia) is the farthest we traveled for both dance and soccer. Well, soccer went to England, but we didn’t get to go with her for that.

Vantreesta: Good luck with the relaxing. It’s amazing how hard it can be.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-22, 09:30 AM  
Vantreesta

Alison, hugs to you. I'm sorry things have been so rough lately. Sometimes the seasons of life kinda suck! I hope your daughter and husband will see what they need to do and do it, even if it's scary. Hope you feel better soon after your hiking fall.

Daphne, happy anniversary! I've thought the same thing, seems so strange that half of my life has been married! We will have 23 years in May. I'm not sure how that happened since I'm pretty sure I'm only 33 years old . Regarding the deep squats (yes, birthing in the field or latrine!), to be honest I'm not sure I ever stopped doing them since childhood! They just feel natural to me and I instinctively have done them for years to stretch my lower back, which helps since I tend to be stuck in anterior pelvic tilt. They do stretch the pelvis and hamstrings as well, and I would think they also shut off the hip flexors, so while it doesn't stretch them it seems it would help them relax some. Yesterday I chose that as one of my relaxing poses and apparently holding there for breaths was too much for my hamstring tendons and they got irritated again, so I will continue to do them in general but not as part of the long holds for relaxing. The suggested poses were happy baby, reclined figure 4, reclined cobbler, cat/cow, child's pose and sphinx. I can do sphinx but not for the long holds bc it gets too achy in my SI joints after a time.

My energy has been so low lately. Using my light box in the morning helps some but it doesn't last all day. I need to start using it midday as well. Yesterday I finally got downstairs to do my stretches, a Caroline Jordan butt workout and a one-mile Leslie walk. Not what I had planned but all I could get myself to do. I almost fell asleep during the stretches and yawned several times through Leslie. I was folding laundry and almost fell asleep doing that! So last night I actually went to bed at 10:45. We'll see how today goes.

Old 02-15-22, 03:02 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Vantreesta, I feel you on the low energy. I don't know what it is--I felt good until about 10 days ago. I guess it's seasonal, hormonal, and just life that gets us.

Alison, my goodness! Did you fall all the way in? Any injuries? I think any trips my DD takes for gymnastics will have to be sponsored by us. The gym charges a fee (around $1700) each year for competitions and uses that for registrations and stuff, but the families have to handle the travel. It is region-based though so I don't think we'd ever go farther than Seattle. Are you still working from home at all?

Daphne, yes we are flying. It would be a long drive and DS gets really carsick. He's having all kinds of anxiety just about having to drive around there! Anyplace hilly bothers him. Congratulations on 30 years! What are you doing to celebrate?

I got in to the PT today. As expected he said my back is bothering me because my abs and glutes are weak. Apparently my traverse abs aren't firing at all, and neither is one set of obliques. He had me do some very unique exercises to help loose my super tight right hip flexor and engage abs and glutes. I'm going back tomorrow.

I'm suddenly really enjoying the elliptical at the gym. I joined in June and it opened I think September and I went exactly once last year! I'm doing iFit workouts now (I bring my iPad) on the elliptical and the time passes quickly. Today it did irritate my hip flexor though, so I'll stay away until after I do more PT.

I was happy to see that they have incline trainers, and today I saw a woman using this lateral elliptical. I got an email today saying my gym membership will also include Les Mills streaming! So lots of options available.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-22, 05:55 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
Alison, my goodness! Did you fall all the way in? Any injuries? I think any trips my DD takes for gymnastics will have to be sponsored by us. The gym charges a fee (around $1700) each year for competitions and uses that for registrations and stuff, but the families have to handle the travel. It is region-based though so I don't think we'd ever go farther than Seattle. Are you still working from home at all?
I fell halfway in the river—my entire right side was soaked for half the 8-mile hike. I was jumping across a water-covered part right at the edge of the river, and my feet got tangled up. I have some odd swelling in my hand, which I’m trying to decide if it’s bad enough to go to the doctor. I’m thinking since that was 8 days ago now, I should.

I’m still 100% working at home. They’re going to the last phase of pandemic adjustments March 1, but that won’t affect me. That phase is at least 2 weeks, so sometime after that I’ll have to start going in once a week.

We have to cover all travel cost separately too. Thankfully the remaining 2 soccer tournaments are local, although I have so much fun traveling with Megan.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-22, 06:36 PM  
Vantreesta

Alison, yeah sounds like a doctor visit might be in order. How cold was it when you were hiking wet like that??

Okay, Pratima, I feel like I wouldn't be coordinated enough to use that lateral trainer but I suddenly NEED one!!

Old 02-16-22, 11:30 AM  
Vantreesta

Finished season 13 of Supernatural last night, Pratima!! Only two left and I don't know what I'll do without my daily dose of Sam and Dean!!

Tags
curved treadmills