Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-27-22, 01:22 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Endurance Check-in Jan-March 2022~Swim Bike Row Run Hike Move!

New thread! I went with quarterly instead of monthly for now.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-22, 01:27 PM  
Vantreesta

Thanks, Pratima!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-22, 01:29 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I'll just start fresh since I fell WAY behind on the old thread. I've been doing the new Lindsay Brin Pretty Fierce 4 series since 1/17. It's 10 weeks but I may not do the lighter recovery weeks and that would make it 8 at most. I did a free week subscription and then the first month is like $10. After that it's $15 which is IMO too much, so I'll keep it three months total at most.

It's working well for now though, helping me rebuild strength and leaving time for runs and hikes during the week. I signed up for a random 10K on Feb. 5 in Sedona. It'll be cold and hilly, two things I am NOT used to! I'm going up with some other MRTT ladies and the plan is to have fun, have brunch, and head home.

I'm in the thick of DD's gymnastics competition season so things are being planned around that quite a bit. I signed up for that race between she has a meet this Saturday which will take up a lot of the day and another next Sunday evening. DH will be at work, so I have to drive both kids about 45 minutes each way for a 5:30 PM start and then of course back again. I figured the race would be a nice getaway before all that!

Work is good, super-mellow. I've been mansplained more than I like by a tech writer who's supposed to be copyediting my work. My supervisor is completely on my side though and I really like another woman I do most of my work with, plus of course i'm still working from home so it's all good.

I moved DD to a different district and school this semester. I thought there would be drama but there isn't. Still, the tween years may kill me. She's either unhappy about everything or "meh."

Anyway, I consider myself recovered from my Nov. 11 appendectomy, DH and his mom seem to be doing OK after losing his dad Dec. 16, and the year is moving along pretty much as expected!

Hope everyone else is well and looking forward to "seeing" you on this thread!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 01-27-22, 01:48 PM  
Vantreesta

Pratima, sounds like things are going pretty well there. Glad you're fully recovered and everyone is doing better. I'm so glad work is going well for you, despite the mansplaining.

Yesterday I didn't workout but cleaned the kitchen, baked oatmeal cookies and worked on workout card organization instead, so I was determined to not to skip working out today but I have a tension jaw/headache and can't get warmed up. We were finally able to walk just under 3 miles this morning (29 degrees with real feel of 20!) and I suspect I'm just cold bc I didn't change out of my sweaty shirt when we got home. But I also stayed up too late last night and feel like a cozy nap instead of anything else!

I have been all over the place trying to fit in too many challenges and just feeling overwhelmed by my inability to prioritize. We are hoping to take our snowshoeing trip this year that we missed the last two so I decided today I need to sit down and set up a program focused on preparing for that, which means lots of lower body focus. It's been so cold a lot of this winter so far with not a ton of snow where I am, so I'm sure I've even lost some of my regular walk endurance. When Cyric and I did 3 miles in the snow at the state park the other day I was pretty beat by the time we got back to the car. Not beat like I couldn't do more but like I needed a break first! Between the super cold actual temps and then the brutal winds, our walks have been hindered. It was so nice to get that longer walk in this morning! So my hope is to have a better more focused workout schedule to start on Monday.

I am also really hoping to be a better check in buddy. I feel bad that so often if I post at all it's just my workouts and no personals.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 01-27-22, 05:05 PM  
Daphne M

Hello Women of Endurance!

Just posting to keep the thread easier to find when I come back later to read and comment.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-22, 05:07 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Embarrassed to admit

But since I'm a lurker - I also (like Daphne above) need my arrow to make this thread easy to find when I come back!!!

I Love reading about your endurance endeavors!!!!!

Keep 'em coming ladies.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-22, 12:45 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Thanks for the new thread, Pratima! Glad things are going ok. Competition season can be so rough. I’m guessing gymnastics competitions are similar physical/emotional/mental/everything drains as dance competitions. The teen years are rough—there’s no way around it. My kids FOUGHT and fought and fought for years. Jessy was so mean to her sister. And SO dramatic. But now they’re really close. They text each other all day and do stuff together when Jessy’s home.

Megan turns 18 this weekend. It’s so hard to believe. She’s gotten into 2 colleges and not into 1. She’s still waiting to hear from 3 more. (EDIT: She got into one more! Now she’s waiting on 2, including one of her top choices.) She has soccer all weekend, even though we’re expecting snow. Our county already closed school grounds, but it’s all either on non-school fields or indoors in the next county over. I hope she has everything cause she’s excited to play 3 games (2 different teams) on her bday!

Fitness-wise, it’s been a challenging week. I’ve done all my workouts, but they all have been meh. I keep telling myself that if I keep doing them, I’ll all be okay. Clothes are getting tight again though.

Happy Friday!
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-22, 03:54 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Alison, I seriously got teary reading that first paragraph! I feel like DD is completely different person and so many people have told me it gets better as they get older. You give me hope! The toughest part right now is that she seems so MEAN--to everyone, not just her brother--and spends most of her time in her room. I know she's drawing, playing games on her tablet, etc. and is generally fine, but it's such a change for her. Happy birthday to Megan! And I think you've done some great things fitness-wise in the past several months so a little detour isn't bad.

Vantreesta, what are workout cards? I am so jealous of even the possibility of snowshoeing! The pictures from my one snowshoe outing came up in my Facebook memories recently. There hasn't been much snow up north, plus between DH's work and DD's competitions we probably won't get to go up this winter.

Did you ever watch Supernatural? There's a character in there who always reminded me of you. She has red hair and into some similar things. She's a good friend of theirs on the show, appears on and off through several season.

I'm going to try to check in more often. I'm at my desk 5 days a week so have no excuse really.

I ran 5 miles at 5 AM today with three MRTT ladies. We did 4:1 run-walk intervals and it was completely doable so I feel better about my 10k next weekend. I'm shooting for 6 miles Sunday.

Also considering doing a 15K March 6. I did it once before. The course is beautiful, very hilly, and that time they ran out of water at maybe mile 5 and I hadn't brought any! I think I want to do the race but I'm struggling with getting up early and running in the dark. DD's early school start means I pretty much have to run at 5 AM--even 5:30 is too late--or after dropoff which is doable if I don't have any big projects (like now).

I don't know why I'm suddenly interested in it! So many things have been canceled in the past two years, I'm hesitant to commit to anything these days (like DD's competition in Tacoma next month). At the same time, the past two years have taught me you should just plan because anything can be canceled or taken care of somehow!

Waves to Cleda and Daphne! Glad you're both in here. I really miss Gail and Elizabeth lately. I wish I could have seen Gail when I was there in October but am glad I did see her over the summer at least.

Old 01-28-22, 04:13 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
Alison, I seriously got teary reading that first paragraph! I feel like DD is completely different person and so many people have told me it gets better as they get older. You give me hope! The toughest part right now is that she seems so MEAN--to everyone, not just her brother--and spends most of her time in her room. I know she's drawing, playing games on her tablet, etc. and is generally fine, but it's such a change for her. Happy birthday to Megan! And I think you've done some great things fitness-wise in the past several months so a little detour isn't bad.
I’m glad to have given hope! After I posted, I was hoping I wasn’t being annoying I figured you’ve heard that same story from others. I know I always heard that it would get better back when my kids were fighting all the time, and sometimes it really did not help. Older kids have different problems though—she’s so unmotivated to look for a job, and she graduates college in May. I’m not sure how she thinks she’s going to get an apartment without a job, but that’s not a problem to burden you all with.

I’m (hopefully) going to California in August, and I want to take a surfing lesson. So I guess I need to work on some serious core strength for the next 6 months.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-22, 04:16 PM  
Vantreesta

Oh, Charlie! Thanks, Pratima, I'll take that as a compliment! I've watched the first 10 seasons in just over a month so far. Started season 11 this week. It's kind of sad, when I get up in the morning almost the first thing I think is ooh, I get to watch Sam and Dean tonight!

Tags
curved treadmills