Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 12-11-21, 01:01 AM  
Vantreesta

It's been snowing nearly all day. The storm warning is now saying the total in some areas could be 18-21"! I shoveled the first few inches away and took twice as long as Wednesday did. Hubby will snowblow in the morning before he goes to work. I think it's gonna take quite a while! I have been loving this so much though! This is how winter in MN is supposed to be!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-21, 08:42 PM  
Vantreesta

Hey, guys. Monday I did Karen Voight Burn & Firm using just 5 lb DBs and my chest and triceps are still sore! Clearly I have neglected my upper body! Also did day 15 of Kassandra's Evening Yoga Movement challenge. Yesterday I baked cookies and today was lunch with friends then finished baking cookies.

We got about a foot of snow from the storm on Friday and it is all gone. Now we're having a thunderstorm with high winds and tornado watch. It got to at least 61 today and Saturday the high is supposed to be 19! Crazy.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 12-20-21, 01:00 PM  
Daphne M

WAVES AND HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON TO EVERYONE!

Pratima - I'm glad to hear you're recovering. Hope you had some eggnog at your holiday party. I hear you on the muscle imbalances! I know I need more strength work but I keep neglecting it.

Vannie - I forgot all about Karen Voight -- what a trip down memory lane to see her pop-up in your check-in. Woohoo on the snowfall, but that weekend warm-up sounds way too weird.

Alison - I don't know if I can handle Hallmark Christmas movies anymore, even with Bradley Rose in them. (Forgive me, Bradley, I do still love you.) I used to love how old fashioned those Hallmark movies felt but the charm has worn off a bit. OTOH, I do love knowing there will be a HEA ending and I enjoy how they take me back in time to being a kid and watching old movies with my mom.

Winter Solstice - Get ready for it! (Winter Solstice = tomorrow Dec. 21) Every year I get very excited for the shortest day of the year to arrive because that means that the days are going to start getting longer. (Imagine the dancing lady emoji right here.)

Progress on December goals. I said I would:
  • Running - My goals were to (1) run four times per week. (So far so good) and (2) to do some kind of outdoor activity every single day. (Oops, I missed two days when I was on a business trip to Texas.)
  • Rowing - Hit 1 million meters on the Hydrow and hallelujah! I did this. As is traditional, I hit 1 mm on a live Hydrow row with Aquil and my neighbor/long time friend in fitness Mary. We both achieved 1 million meters on the same row. The best part is that when Aquil went for my callout, he said "Daphne - what?" Followed by, "Ohhhhh! Daphne Run On!" The 2nd one is my actual screen name but the first one is a new favorite.
  • Cycling - I committed to riding 100 miles on the bike in December and I am on track, which makes me proud because I had some travel this month, plus holiday craziness is here in full force.
  • Strength - I committed to: "I don't know yet" Well, I definitely achieved THAT goal cause I still don't really know. But between Peloton strength workouts and Hydrow Pilates workouts, I've done at least 2 workouts per week, so that is something.
  • Weight loss - I said I would lose 6 pounds in December and so far I've lost 4! Also I've gained 2.5. You do the math.

Miscellaneous:
  • Peloton - I LOVED EMMA's FOO FIGHTERS RIDE. 2nd favorite was Leeann's Abba ride.
  • Hydrow - I LOVED NICK's 20 MINUTE LIVE ROW THIS MORNING. It started at 8 and at 8:05 he goes "Hi mom, nice of you to join us but you're 5 minutes late" and then proceeded to give his mom all kinds of very affectionate grief which, as the mother of a very tall son myself, made my heart happy. He also decided to show off his steering skills and pretty much rowed right into a boat that was DOCKED! It was 20 minutes of laughter and it made me so happy.
  • Hiking - I've resurrected my Sunday outdoor hiking group and it is so good to see them. Also lots of horses on our trail since we're close to some BLM land and lots of stables.
  • Running - I did a 3 mile slow run this morning and got to bask in all the neighbors' holiday light displays and it was wonderful. I ran at my "all day long" pace and holy cow, did that feel good. It was also 2 minutes per mile slower than my pace last winter. I may be embracing the 13 minute mile and I am just so grateful to be able to run at all that I am kind of bragging about it.

OTHER:
  • Kids are good, Norm is back to almost full health and I have three more days of work before I take off until January. Life is good.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-21, 11:47 PM  
Vantreesta

Real feel for our last walk tonight was -1. It wasn't too terrible though since it wasn't very windy.

Saturday I baked with a friend and yesterday was laundry and dishes but not much else. I wanted to workout today but woke up with a terrible headache that didn't go away till tonight so I didn't do much of anything. Watched TV and dozed off and on. I have so much to get done this week, trying not to stress out about the lost day. I was going to go see Ghostbusters tmrw since it's the last week it's playing but now I'm not gonna take the time for it. Unless I'm super efficient and productive before the show time! Haha. Watching Charlie Brown then going to bed.

Old 12-21-21, 02:53 PM  
Daphne M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Real feel for our last walk tonight was -1. It wasn't too terrible though since it wasn't very windy.
EEK!

Speaking of cold weather, I signed up for EX2's Backyard Brrr Challenge again this year. The challenge is to run or walk at least one mile every day in January, preferably outdoors. I'm doing it with the same team as last year: 5 women and 1 man. Really fun group I've known for about 20 years. We used to run fast and far together and now we do a lot of hiking and slow running. I feel so fortunate to have them.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-21, 11:15 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Happy Holidays!

Daphne: Congrats on hitting 1 million meters! That’s so impressive. Glad Norm’s almost back to full health, and I really hope you get a nice break from work. I loved Leanne’s ABBA ride too. It made me smile over and over. I guess I really need to try out Emma’s Foo Fighters ride. They are one of my favorite rock bands, but I was so disappointed with her other artist series rides.

Pratima: I hope you’re doing well. I’m heading to Atlanta (hopefully—see below) next week to take DD to the Peach Bowl since her school is playing at it.

Vantreesta: You’d laugh and laugh at me if I came to your neck of the woods in winter. I’ve lost all my northerner cold toughness!

Me: The good: I did my 400th Peloton ride this morning, live with Bradley with a great classic rock playlist. I mentioned it and him on my instagram story, and he responded with a really nice message. I was probably way too excited about that, but I don’t care! I’m keeping up with my workout plan and making some strength gains. I can’t really see them in my body, but I can lift more…for the most part…

I say that because The Bad: this morning as I lifted a bar to do shoulders—so not that heavy of a bar—I pulled or strained something in my gluteus. How does one hurt her glutes doing shoulders? I was able to finish the workout and do some quad & hamstring isolating exercises, but no squats, lunges, or deadlifts. It still hurts quite a bit.

And more bad: There was a COVID outbreak at DD’s HS. A non-school related youth group weekend-long indoor retreat turned out to be a super spreader event. 400 kids from the area were there, and based on the videos and pictures she showed me from friends’ social media, not a mask in sight. I am so very angry about that. Many of them go to her school, and they all tested positive after the event. DD eats lunch in a group with a few of them. Lunch is the only place masks aren’t required. She had a fever and sore throat on Friday and then tested positive. Other DD then also tested positive. However, DH and I tested negative. The only reason we can think of for that is that we got boosters last month. Jessy got hers just last week, and Meg didn’t have hers yet but was scheduled to—we had to postpone obviously. So if that’s true, the boosters work! So no visiting family for us for Christmas. We are getting retested next week, and if we’re clear, Jessy and I are still going to Atlanta. If we’re not clear, well, I don’t want to think about that.

I hope you all have a lovely weekend!
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-21, 11:28 AM  
Vantreesta

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-27-21, 04:30 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Oh goodness Alison! How are your DDs feeling now? What day are you supposed to head to Atlanta? You should see Gail while you're there if you can! Congrats on 400 rides AND Bradley commenting on IG! A friend who's my age and I were once talking about injuring yourself while getting a coffee cup out of a cabinet, so there's that!

Vantreesta, I want to see Ghostbusters! My kids haven't seen the first two though so I don't think they'd enjoy it. I wonder if it's even still here?

Daphne, I hope you're enjoying your time off! I had last M and F and this F. I could take more days but I'm not doing much. I am at my desk but can fit in other stuff. Are you doing anything special on your days off?

My FIL passed away 12/16. DH was able to get to CO on 12/15 and see him (though he was unconscious). DH brought his mom here on 12/20. She's talking about going home on 1/15 but right now there really is no plan.

I managed to have our annual MRTT holiday party here on my own (with tons of help from my coleader) and drank LOTS of eggnog! It was really fun to see everyone. The kids all know each other now so they had fun.

I was super stressed while DH was gone, I'm not entirely sure why. Right now DH is on FMLA leave and goes back to work Saturday night. DS goes to school Monday and DD next Tuesday. I switched her to a school in another district so her schedule might be slightly different from DS's.

I feel like we made the most of having my MIL here though. I worked T-Th last week and tried to do at least one little thing we could all do together--Jenga, s'mores, etc. We also did some "separate" things, like go to the movies and my MIL stayed here, and I played the new Nintendo Ring game with the kids.

I feel much better recovery-wise from my appendectomy. All the glue finally came off my three incisions and I can move around pretty well. I tried running a bit and can do it but not for long so I'm building up gradually.

I'm working my way through an old Xtrainfit Personal Trainer set. I think it's supposed to last 3 or 4 months but I'm moving through the phases more quickly so it'll take about 8 weeks or maybe less. I still feel pretty weak so am emphasizing strength work for now.

We're going to Seattle in February for a gymnastics meet. I'd love to go up north and see some snow but we've replaced most of our appliances, still need a new dishwasher, and put lots of $$ into my truck, so should probably wait on spending any more!

Hope everyone had a nice holiday! Any plans for New Year's Eve?

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-21, 10:33 AM  
Vantreesta

-8 degrees at the moment. High of 10 today and now they're saying high of -5 for Saturday. I imagine we will be back in the 20s for highs before long, we'll see.

I've been so bad about posting my workouts (and responding to people). Last Thu and Fri I did short yoga practices on YouTube at my father-in-law's. I also went for a short walk on Christmas. It snowed all day and the road hadn't been plowed so it was short and slow bc it was a lot of work! Yesterday I foam rolled for half an hour and did a Yoga in Practice practice. Later I shoveled for just under an hour. I haven't managed yoga every day for my sadhana but have at least done some meditation. I need to go catch up my post on that check in and my minutes challenge.

I'm binge watching Supernatural. I never heard about it when the show first started but it is so my kind of show so when I saw in October that TNT was rerunning the entire series I started recording it. Thankfully my friend has the first 6 seasons on DVD bc our DVR isn't that big. I watched all of season 1 and the first two episodes of season 2 and deleted the rest through season 6 before I went to my dad's. Since we got home Sunday, I have finished season 2 and watched the first three episodes of season 3. The DVR is over 80% full and is only that show and a few yoga, with new episodes returning next week of current shows, so I have a ton of watching to do so I don't lose anything on the DVR. Most of the seasons have 22-23 episodes!

Dentist appt this afternoon. Unfortunately, I lost a filling eating gummy vitamins this morning. Roll eyes. Just glad they can get me in today!

Old 12-29-21, 11:52 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Vantreesta, DH and I LOVED Supernatural! Have you watched Grimm? It's somewhat similar. I've been rewatching it recently.

The highs here are in the 50s but somehow it feels really cold! Maybe because we're getting rain and I'm not used to the cool, wet breeze. A local running store is doing a group trail run/hike Saturday. It's supposed to rain Friday night and be 28 degrees that morning. Muddy, cold, and wet isn't really appealing to me!

I think I need to switch to different workouts. The Xtrain series I'm doing is getting on my nervous! The instructor often talks about the participant hitting her, or things like burning off the cookies you ate. All this didn't bother me the first time I did it but now I'm just not in the mood!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote