Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-25-21, 11:50 AM  
Vantreesta

Hope everyone is having a happy Thanksgiving! I'm grateful for this group!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-21, 07:25 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

I hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving! I visited my family in Pittsburgh. We ran the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving, and I had my best 5K in 6 years. It helped that the weather was perfect—upper 40s with no wind. The course is mostly flat with the only hills 2 bridges and one on-ramp.

I haven’t run since then though. I’m rethinking the marathon already. I know I can do it, but do I really want to? I just don’t like cold weather anymore, even though I’m one hot flash away from spontaneously combusting. But given I can’t get myself out to run 3-7 miles in somewhat cold weather, do I want to run up to 20 miles in much colder weather? And while the Peloton app has been getting me through the TM runs, I don’t see doing the really long runs on it. I still have a little time to decide though. This week is supposed to warm up after today, so I’ll see how it goes.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-21, 11:25 AM  
Daphne M

Alison -Training for spring marathons is tough. You're in a pickle! Do you have a training partner? If you're doing a lot of it by yourself, maybe the best way to decide is to think about what motivated you to choose the marathon in the first place. Do you want a running goal to keep you consistent and to challenge your fitness; or do you want to prove something to yourself about the distance; or is it something else entirely? (I used to love the HM distance best, but lately I'm running two miles a lot so everything changes!)

Vannie - Thanks for the holiday wishes. I hope you had a wonderful one.

Waves to Pratima - Hope you had a good holiday.

Me - I've been letting work really get under my skin, so the four day break came just in the nick of time. I was a walking ball of unexpressed rage. Danger Will Robinson! Spent all day in the kitchen on Thursday but everyone got their favorite dish and everything turned out perfectly. I don't know why we needed about 15 different dishes for four people but that's what happened and no one complained.

Recent favorite workouts:
  • Running - My favorite is the one I just did! A short, easy-paced 2 mile run early this morning with headlamp on. I did a Peloton pre-run activation stretch first, which works really well for me. No wind, bright stars and some neighbors already put their Christmas lights up.
  • Rowing - I can't choose. Seriously, every single one of the rows they filmed in Lucerne, Switzerland is fantastic. The DC rows on the Potomac are my 2nd favorite.
  • Cycling - Lots of good ones here too. Maybe Denis's Beatles row? I love the Beatles and I need something that epic to get me through a 45-minute ride. (I'm a huge fan of 20 minute rides!) EDITED: I forgot about Emma's Foo Fighters ride! LOVED IT!
  • Strength - My default is a 10 minute legs & glutes on Peloton and my most-enjoyed are the Hydrow 20-minute Rhythm Pilates workouts. I'm in a love/hate with the Peloton strength workouts. They're short, effective and straight-forward and I like all the instructors. I do get bored with the same format over and over. Whether it's an "EMOM" or an "AMRAP" they still repeat the same circuits over and over. It'll be interesting to see what changes once they introduce their new strength equipment.
  • Meditation - Yes, you read that right. I'm a new convert and huge fan of Ross Rayburn's sleep meditations on the Peloton app. He's got them from 5 to 20 minutes long. Now when I wake up at 2 am and start into the spiral of sleepless doom, I just reach for my phone in the bedside charger, cue up Ross and his voice works wonders. It's fantastic.
Current Goals:
  • Peloton - I'll try for 100 miles on the bike in December. I think I'm sitting at around 105-110 in November so this is doable.
  • Running - I am going to do the EX2 January challenge again this year and try for 100 miles. (Walking counts too, although when you upload your walking times, the software always prompts, "are you sure that was your actual pace?")
  • Rowing - I'm closing in on my 1 millionth meter! Currently sitting at 977K. Hydrow sends you a Henley at 1 million and I am here for it!
  • Strength - I don't know yet.
  • Weight - I give myself credit for at least putting it on the list! I am going to try to drop 6 pounds in December. Had to re-type that several times because I kept adding a question mark at the end and that won't do. It's a commitment not a question, dammit!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-21, 03:28 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Daphne: Those are good questions. I signed up because I was in VA Beach during last year’s “virtual” Shamrock marathon, which was somewhat in person, and it was seemed fun. So if fun is my reason, and it’s not fun, I’m wondering why I’d do it. I don’t have a training partner—Jean only will do shorter runs, which is fine—so I’d be mostly on my own.

I love Foo Fighters but haven’t enjoyed any of Emma’s rides, so I didn’t do it. Maybe I’ll give it a try. Sam is doing an AC DC one this week, which I’ll be all over. I did Bradley’s 45-minute pop punk ride today, which was fire! I will do Denis’ Beatles ride, but DH is obsessed with the documentary right now (and all thing Beatles all the time), so I might wait until he moves on to something else and only sometimes talks about/plays them.
Old 12-03-21, 03:09 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Happy Friday! I hope it was a better week for everyone.

I decided to ditch the marathon. I can legit transfer my numbers if I can find someone to sell it to, so I’m doing that. I feel good about it. I need to NOT sign up for anything for a while. It’s too much pressure at this stage.

I came up with a workout plan for the next 6 weeks. I’m have to adapt for a few days over Christmas, but the rest is do-able.

Mon: full-body strength
Tues: bike AM, mix and match cross train lunchtime
Wed: yoga/Pilates AM, run lunchtime
Thurs: full-body strength
Fri: easy day/rest day, yoga, Pilates, hike, easy bike, something enjoyable
Sat: mix and match cross train intervals including bike intervals
Sun: run

Have a good weekend,
Alison
Old 12-04-21, 10:37 AM  
Vantreesta

I was in AZ for almost three weeks with my dad and other family. Got home last night. Very long drive to do alone in two days! Well, Cyric was with me but no help driving or keeping away the sleepies!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 12-07-21, 04:26 PM  
Vantreesta

Today I did Zumba Sulu -NEW CHRISTMAS WARM UP ZUMBA, Yoga With Bird -10 Min Everyday Morning Yoga Stretch | 30 Day Yoga Challenge DAY 1, Human 2.0 Fitness -MOVEMENT CHALLENGE - Day 1 | Mobility Training & Injury Prevention Exercises, L. Holden 30-Day Qi Gong challenge day 1, and a 1 mile row. I was trying to do day 3 of Rowvember but I set it up wrong in the stroke rate app and got too annoyed to keep going. I think I have it set up right now. I had also planned to start a new jump rope challenge today but after the rowing snafu I just said I was done. I hadn't worked out since Nov 11 and it felt so good to get moving! This month I am focusing mostly on mobility and just moving after such a long break.

It's been snowing all day, since before I got up! So beautiful! Feels much more Christmassy than the desert did! I think for outside I am just putting a tree on the porch and my mom's inflatable Olaf. We're doing leftovers for supper so I'm fixing to go drag out tubs and see how much decorating I can get done. And drink a small glass of eggnog while I do!

Old 12-08-21, 04:08 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Vantreesta, you should have told me you were here, we could have met up! You came at just the right time. Nice weather but not too hot. I love eggnog! DH got a BIG bottle of the premixed kind. I'm waiting until our holiday party on 12/18 to open it because I doubt the two of us could finish it!

Alison, your week's workout plan looks good. I should try something like that. I'm not wanting to stick with anything really specific and there's a good mix there. Do you have any trips planned still?

Daphne, I have yet to try a Peloton meditation. I put them on for DS a couple of times (he has trouble falling asleep, just like me). But then he was overthinking those (do I lie down? do I close my eyes? I need to pee, etc.). I should try one. iFit apparently has some good ones too.

According to DH, it is somewhat common that people go in for a particular surgery and some other issue is found. I guess it makes sense--you can see a lot when you're actually in there!

I had my post-op appointment and there was a small hernia, the one visible on CT. They actually went in through there (along with two other spots) looked around, and only saw my inflamed appendix, no hernia. According to the PA i saw a week ago, it was supposedly close to becoming acute.

Surprisingly I took it really easy after my surgery for once I had it on Thursday and laid low until Monday. I had to pick the kids up that day and it was ROUGH. I got tired so easily, and while it wasn't AS bad as my c-sections, it was quite painful and made me pretty weak.

DH helped so much, he even got home from work every morning and took the kids to school. But then he went to CO for 4 days to see his parents and I got a bit worn out again.

I'm back to semi-normal. Haven't tried running yet. I got my COVID booster Friday and ended up with chills and achy joints Saturday. Hopefully this weekend will finally be completely normal!

I've mostly been walking and doing Pure Barre. I tried one rowing workout and my everything hurt. I feel like I need to do lots of strength work, esp. glutes, because I'm imbalanced and not engaging muscles properly.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-21, 04:35 PM  
Vantreesta

Pratima, I was so unsure with covid and everything, plus I had planned to be there a week less than I was. I should have just contacted you and my other friend out there anyway to see if you were available and interested. Got to hang out with my brother and his family three times beside Thanksgiving, baking with my grandma and aunt the day before Thanksgiving (got lost on the way home and took 2 hours to get back instead of 1 hr 15 min...oops), Thanksgiving with the family, went through Mom's clothes and donated a few bags to Goodwill. It was a good trip and best was lots of time with my dad. I will be sure to let you know the next time I'm out for an extended stay! And you're right, the weather was pretty much perfect! 80 at home is so hot but not so bad out there.

Well, weird to go in for one surgery and come out with smthg else done but sounds like it was good they caught and removed your appendix. Good for you taking it easy afterward! Glad your DH pitched in and helped. I only ran once each in Sept and Oct so I'll be starting back at square one.

Old 12-10-21, 03:13 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Quickie post—the week is going mostly well with my new plan. I’ve done everything so far, although a few of the workouts were pretty meh. I went on a nice hike today with my friends, which was perfect.

I also just watched Bradley from Peloton’s Christmas movie. He was cuter than cute, but OMG was that thing cheesy! I know that’s standard for Hallmark movies, but wow. Comedy Central Christmas movie spoof “A Clusterfunke Christmas” is much more my speed. But I’m glad I finally saw Bradley’s movie. I’m going to do his 2 new holiday rides tomorrow.