Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-21, 10:31 AM  
Izzy

I was in Colorado earlier this month visiting my son. I took his dogs for a hike in Boulder. It was a 4.8 mile loop up into the foothills. A senior woman’s meet up hiking group was a head of me. About 12 women, not one under 70. They were going to do the whole loop and it was getting super rocky but that didn’t deter them. I had the two dogs and one was a 6 month old puppy. I was fine but Chuck, the puppy kept getting me all tangled up. Two miles up I had to turn back because he kept twisting all of us up. Anyway the group was so nice. Giving me pointers etc (being from Illinois). They do a hike at least twice a week.
Old 05-23-21, 10:35 AM  
DCW

Our rec dept classified classes for certain age groups. The senior center classes are during the day when I work. The other classes are for 18+. The senior classes I guess are slower pace.

My instructor taught a boot camp until Covid and she was 71. I can't keep up with her and I am more than 10 years younger. Oh yeah, her class was for 18+.

I think the senior classes are geared down for earlier baby boomers especially women who didn't exercise at all. I met a lady in an exercise class that never in life owned tennis shoes in her life. We were in a weight training class with a great instructor. She came a couple of times and stopped. This was about 15 years ago.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-21, 11:00 AM  
Demeris

This is very funny, but if I had come across it while I was going through menopause (truly the most horrible physical experience of my life), it would have made me want to beat the computer to death with a baseball club.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-21, 11:07 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagreen01 View Post
Where do they think all the people went who did tough high impact aerobics?
They went in for back surgery, hip replacements and knee replacements like Jane Fonda. Maybe some of the old school, hit-it-hard, jogged in the wrong shoes, high impact exercisers are now limited due to overuse injuries and joint replacements? And that is why the classes are designed to be easier? Just thinking out loud here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagreen01 View Post
The questionnaire at this gym is so intrusive on my privacy I refuse to fill it in. I am treated like a child who needs permission to attend beginner classes. Same with the Aqua in the centre too. It’s all about potential law suits if a senior hurts themselves I think.
Everything is all about potential lawsuits anymore.

We are VFers and have a higher standard of fitness than the average person. I know too many folks my age (and younger) who are in poor condition. And have no interest in doing much about it. These "easy" classes are trying to attract the "hate to exercise/doctor told me to work out" crowd probably.

I've often been surprised at so-called "beginner" workout videos that would be intimidating to a newbie at any age. Starting out in a too easy class might inspire someone to move to more advanced classes.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-21, 11:20 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
We are VFers and have a higher standard of fitness than the average person. I know too many folks my age (and younger) who are in poor condition. And have no interest in doing much about it. These "easy" classes are trying to attract the "hate to exercise/doctor told me to work out" crowd probably.

I've often been surprised at so-called "beginner" workout videos that would be intimidating to a newbie at any age. Starting out in a too easy class might inspire someone to move to more advanced classes.
Alta, I definitely agree with these last 2 points! We do have a higher standard at VF and have to remember that.

But I agree with you about the beginner thing too. As a yoga instructor, I am especially appalled at some of the yoga videos labelled "beginner" - some of them are why people get scared off from yoga!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-21, 11:48 AM  
DCW

So true, everyone. People age differently. Some folks can be physically fit others not so much. Life, genetics, and health can be so different for everyone.

I am glad that classes and instructors are available for all abilities in my community. I can't wait until indoor classes start up again. We have a new indoor pool open so water aerobics may be in my future workout plans this winter.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-21, 12:20 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I’ve really enjoyed Fitness with PJ. She has been a trainer for years, and is now in her 50’s. Her workouts are for women over 40, but they are challenging. She had her own gym which went out of business due to the pandemic. So she moved to you tube.

I think you tube has challenging senior workouts. They aren’t the majority, but there is a niche.
I discovered Fitness with PJ a few months ago. The first time I tried her I thought that I would be in for a lighter workout day. Boy was I surprised! I had DOMS for two days. I think she realizes that for the over-40 crowd, there may be a higher possibility of shoulder/knee/wrist issues and offers lots of modifications. Otherwise she encourages you to go heavy and shows some fairly advanced moves.

This is a cliche, but I also don't think 'senior' is what it used to be. I think of my parents current lifestyle compared to my grandparents at the same age and it is like night and day, particularly terms of activity level, hobbies, attitudes, etc.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-21, 12:22 PM  
kat999

I'll be 46 next month, and my fitness modality is kind of all over the place right now. I can still do almost everything I ever have, but I also get DOMS a lot faster, have to suddenly lift a lot lighter, and avoid almost all high-impact (e.g., swapping plyos for squats and not jumping as much or at all).

I will say all of Jari Love's "Boomer" videos are still tough, tough, tough! I think the main difference is that the intervals are longer, more precise, and she doesn't encourage you to lift too heavy. There is still step-based cardio intervals in some of them, but one of them is just pure strength with long, controlled intervals. I'm not a "Boomer," but I actually love those.

I also do all of Jane Fonda's Prime Time workouts, and while they are very slowly-paced and fairly easy, I think they could easily be boosted up with larger weight sizes and jogging during walking intervals if you want more of a challenge. But in some of her fusion and yoga workouts, I actually still found some of the poses very challenging!

The one "senior" workout series I did find particularly ill-suited for me or for anyone who is still even remotely active is Tracie Long's. I tried one of her chair workouts on Amazon Prime just to give it a shot, and it was basically for folks who are barely mobile. Which, again, that's fine if that's where you're at, but it was obviously not for people who do Tracie's other workouts who are under about 90.
Old 05-23-21, 12:25 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula N View Post
I discovered Fitness with PJ a few months ago. The first time I tried her I thought that I would be in for a lighter workout day. Boy was I surprised! I had DOMS for two days. I think she realizes that for the over-40 crowd, there may be a higher possibility of shoulder/knee/wrist issues and offers lots of modifications. Otherwise she encourages you to go heavy and shows some fairly advanced moves.

This is a cliche, but I also don't think 'senior' is what it used to be. I think of my parents current lifestyle compared to my grandparents at the same age and it is like night and day, particularly terms of activity level, hobbies, attitudes, etc.
I really liked her workout called Osteoporosis & Osteopenia Workout with Dumbbells [THAT'S NOT LAME!]. And the name made me laugh too! I felt like I had a challenging workout, but I wasn't afraid I would get injured doing it. And I love her sense of humor too, along with the funny videos with her husband.

I am more active than my parents at my age. Although, my mother was active as a housewife, always doing something around the house and yard. She died at age 86, 17 years longer than my father.
Old 05-23-21, 02:33 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I really liked her workout called Osteoporosis & Osteopenia Workout with Dumbbells [THAT'S NOT LAME!]. And the name made me laugh too! I felt like I had a challenging workout, but I wasn't afraid I would get injured doing it. And I love her sense of humor too, along with the funny videos with her husband.
Sherry, LOL - I didn't realize that the "That's Not Lame!" part was in the actual name until I looked it up. I added to my Wish List!

Btw, I was recently found to have osteopenia in my right hip. But that has just motivated me to lift heavier, not to resort to soup cans!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ageism, aging, senior exercise, senior workout, senior workouts, seniors