Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-21, 11:22 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Moms of school-aged kids and tweenagers, April-June 2021

Hi all! TonyaK, you're lucky to be able to get that vaccine. Around here it's mostly Pfizer. DH insists he'll only get J&J so he's out of luck for now. Maybe I should tell him to drive to CO! Did you get yours at a state-sponsored site? That's what most of the appointments available here are.

I have my second shot scheduled for 4/20. I thought I'd feel a weight lift after that but right now I feel like I can't relax until my whole family is vaccinated. Ugh.

My kids are off school today. They went back this week for four days and get a "spring holiday" today. I want to take them to a riparian preserve nearby but also don't want to hear any whining, so we'll see. It's supposed to be 91 today!

I tried a couple of spin workouts last week--one Peloton and one iFit. They were OK but I really missed rowing so this week I rowed! And on Tuesday I rested.

I have been having the hardest time sleeping! I know it's partially allergies--mostly got rid of the drip and cough but they still get me at night sometimes. I wonder if it's a hormone thing too?

TonyaK, I got my unwelcome monthly visitor and was SO TIRED Tuesday I slept in. I don't know if that's why but I thought of you saying that happens to you.

I realize that I never had my annual well-woman check. That also means that no one has ordered a mammogram for me for this year. I'm back to the less-serious ones (screening vs. diagnostic) but still supposed to get them every year. Guess i should schedule that checkup and ask her to order it!

I'm guessing you all saw, they opened up COVID vaccines for 16 and up Wednesday and the governor basically threw the doors open Thursday. School hasn't changed--still masked, grades kept separate, etc. But other places haven't. We're still laying pretty low, other than me hiking with a couple ladies on weekends.

I did have lunch outdoors with two friends Tuesday. It was so nice! Although that's probably what made my allergies go haywire.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 12:43 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Back to ask--anyone have Easter plans? I bought some candy and such to fill eggs with but have been annoyed with my kids this week and haven't filled them yet. We aren't Christian and don't celebrate Easter, but DD was born on Easter Sunday and LOVES egg hunts. Last year her birthday was on Easter again and of course during quarantine so I set up a great egg hunt. Will try to get myself together to set one up this time.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 04-02-21, 03:30 PM  
TonyaK

Hi all!
Pratima, we are getting J&J at a Walgreen's. I think the big, mass vaccination sites here have the other kinds now - but I admit that I'm not keeping up with all the details! I didn't expect to be able to get it yet, and then I think it was Monday that the governor announced that every adult would be eligible today. I thought we'd probably have to wait a month or two to get appointments, so I hadn't let myself obsess about it yet

Ugh, I hate that TTOM fatigue. Since having kids, I have like two really heavy days and then two light days. The heavy days really wear me out. It used to be more spread out over five or six days and I didn't feel like it had as big an effect on me. Maybe it's from losing the iron more quickly?

That's great that you've gotten one shot! I feel lighter and optimistic having scheduled mine, but I know that our lives won't change much - I don't want my kids to get sick either! It would be great if kids could be vaccinated before school starts next year. We'll see.

For Easter, we will have the kids hunt for eggs outside. That's pretty much it! We aren't religious and we don't cook a special meal, so for us it's just about Easter baskets and welcoming Spring! They told me last night that they wanted finger hands (little plastic hand-shaped puppets that go on the end of your finger) so I ordered some from amazon. They are supposed to get here in time. I think they will fit in the eggs.

Happy birthday to your DD!
TonyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-21, 02:31 PM  
TonyaK

Hello,

I got my J&J shot on Monday! My arm still hurts if I move it a certain way or press on it to see if it hurts I have felt extra-tired, but is that a side effect or just being so tired of having people around me all the time???

I haven't done much exercise this week, but I'd like to get back to doing a shorter weights and cardio in the mornings (like the Firm Jiggle Free series). I'm also thinking about going for an early walk before the kids get up, if I can get up before them!

Any suggestions of shortish weights + cardio workouts are welcome! I know I have a bunch of stuff, but sometimes it sounds better when someone else says it!

I hope you are all doing well.
Old 04-12-21, 03:56 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Hi all, I've completely fallen off everything because the whole family has been sick. I went for my lovely long hike Saturday 4/4 and then came home to a coughing DH. He was outside all day and it was windy so he figured it was allergies. He got tested Tuesday and got the result back Wednesday--COVID. The kids and I got tested and got our results Thursday.

I'd gotten my first shot but it hadn't taken effect, so we've all been home. DD's swab apparently fell out of her vial so we don't know her results. Because she hasn't had symptoms, we've kept her separate. She missed her state gymnastics meet, and today is her birthday. She's spending it mostly in her room. I did decorate her door and got some fancy cookies delivered.

I've been mad at DH because I'm 99% sure he got it and had been refusing to get the vaccine (he only wanted the J&J which has been tough to come by). And of course he keeps saying we don't KNOW that's how we got it.

I took Thursday and Friday off work. We all have different symptoms coming and going. I've had fever, chills, cough, congestion. DH and DS had really bad sore throats. DS and I both had body aches.

I am working today but fortunately other than two phone calls, not much to do.

No idea when I'll work out again. The COVID fatigue is real! I'm told it could take up to a month to recover.

Sorry for the bummer drive-by, just wanted to check-in at least.

Old 04-13-21, 10:24 AM  
TonyaK

Oh my gosh, Pratima, I'm so sorry that you and your family are sick! I hope you start feeling better soon! How frustrating to have gotten one shot but it hasn't taken effect yet! And DH could have been vaccinated already - UGH!

Poor DD!! Please tell her we say Happy Belated Birthday! What a way to spend it. I hope you will all be able to do something fun when you are well.
Old 04-21-21, 12:14 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I'm here. Everyone in my house is pretty much recovered. Except oh yeah right, me. I've lost my sense of taste and smell and with it my appetite. Feeling a little fatigued and have this weird sinus pressure so I sound stuffy even though I don't necessarily feel stuffy.

So I'm basically sitting here feeling sorry for myself. I did return to work last week but was pretty out of it the first half of the week. I had DD retested Thursday and she was positive, so she can't go back until Monday.

I guess I misunderstood the nurse--it's 10 days from a positive test OR 10 days after the last exposure to someone else who's positive. If I'd had her retested right away she could have gone back earlier. In retrospect I was really out of it and shouldn't have been the one talking to the nurse.

I got my second shot today and am now a little concerned about side effects. I guess it can't be any worse than the actual illness, right?

On the positive side, while DD missed the state gymnastics meet, her coach petitioned so she can go to regionals. I'm going with her to Reno the weekend of 4/30. Only a couple of her friends are going and they all compete at different times, but we should be able to see at least one of them.

Also, we're putting in a pool (can't remember if I mentioned that before) and construction is progressing pretty quickly. They said it'd be ready by June and may be ready earlier than that.

I did work out a little this week--sticking with 15-30 minute iFit cycle and strength workouts. The cycle ones absolutely wear me out. Plus it's tough getting up early. I am hoping to hike Saturday but right now an hour of that sound exhausting.

Sorry to totally drag the check-in down. I wanted to at least let everyone know how I'm doing! Hopefully next week will be better.

Old 04-22-21, 11:50 AM  
TonyaK

Pratima, thank you for checking in! I'm sorry that you are still feeling badly! Did you end up with symptoms from the second shot? I'm glad your family is better, and that you don't have to take care of them. I hope you'll be back to normal soon. Did DD ever have any symptoms?

I'm glad DD can go to her next competition - it's great that her coach fought for her!

It's so exciting to have a pool!! Is it big enough that you can swim laps, or is it more for fun splashing?

I've been using Tony Horton's Power Half Hour workouts. I'm feeling really worn out and I don't know if I have a cold or if I'm "languishing" like a recent article describes - not feeling terrible but not feeing well, ennui, lack of interest, etc... I'm determined to eat super healthfully and hoping that will help.

I hope all are well!
Old 04-27-21, 04:10 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

TonyaK, I love those old PHH workouts! I never use the ab one but always felt like the rest made for some good mix and match or nice, straightforward work.

The pool is 34x15 feet, so definitely long enough to swim across, but not serious laps or anything. It goes from 3 to 8 feet deep, so also good for diving in! We're hoping it'll be done in May rather than early June. It's already in the 90s here!

I think I am completely better. The second shot made me so stiff and tired again. I wasn't completely healed when I got it though. I woke up Friday and was able to smell and taste again, and by yesterday felt pretty much normal.

I got a nice little diet reset courtesy of COVID. I lost my appetite, then sense of smell and taste for a couple of weeks. When it came back Friday, I started eating again but haven't wanted to eat as much, so that's good. I lost a few of the pounds I gained the past couple of years. If i could lose another 3, I'd be happy! Hoping that being active will do that.

After being sick, I did some short walks and then started doing short iFit workouts. I had joined advanced row and strength challenges, but switched to beginner bike and beginner strength challenges instead. The workouts are all around 20 minutes, 8 of each. Initially I only did one, this week I've doubled up.

I did get in a 4.5 mile hike Saturday! My legs were tired that evening but not too bad.

I'm taking DD to Reno for regionals Fri-Sun. I realized I haven't taken her on a trip since she was 18 months old and we visited my friend in NC! She's at that age where I feel like it can be tough to talk to her, her interests are changing. I had thought it'd be a group trip with a couple of other moms and girls, but they're all competing at different times so we're coming and going at different times. We should be able to watch one girl and have dinner with all the others Saturday night.

Also, after finally getting his cast off, regaining most of his ROM, and recovering from COVID, DS is finally back at taekwondo! I took him yesterday and while he doesn't know all the new kicks and form and such, he still has more flexibility and better kicking form than most everyone in his class. Fingers crossed that things settle down now for a while.

Old 05-10-21, 02:28 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Hi all, I'm here. Reno was good. A little hectic, but good. Flew in Friday evening--tough to find dinner in the airport because lots of restaurants still aren't open. Did an iFit Kauai hike Saturday morning on a hotel treadmill, had breakfast, and spent all day at the competition (watched DD and then her teammate). Had dinner with other moms and girls, and flew back Sunday.

DD did well, thank goodness, after a rough year with her stress fracture, gym closed for COVID, etc.

I confess, I've been feeling pretty down lately. I found out last week a classmate of mine who I've known since I moved to AZ in 1982 passed away. He had a liver transplant 20 years ago, was in need of another, then got COVID and never fully recovered. I'm starting to feel like life is one bad thing after another (again?).

Good news is that I am fully vaccinated and so seeing people again. I am also working out. I feel stronger this week than I have the past couple, so there's that.

I haven't read the other posts. My friend's funeral is tomorrow, so maybe I'll have a better outlook after that? I did have a good weekend and Mother's Day--hiking and walking with friends, breakfast, dinner and cards from my family.

Oh I forgot--a couple days after I found out my friend had passed, DH told me his dad seems to be declining somewhat. His mental state isn't what it was. I don't think he'll be gone quickly or anything but suddenly feel like we need to get to CO this summer. BUT he hasn't been vaccinated yet so not sure about it all.

Deep breaths and lots of walks. I'll check in again, I promise!