Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-20, 09:13 AM  
txfitmom

Smile Starting Over Again - Suggestions For Easy Workouts

I took a bit of a break from exercise videos and working out regularly. I had a lot of life circumstances going on, so you know how that goes. Well, I managed to keep with with walking outside, but all the stress from the last few years has caused my body too hold onto excess fat/weight and it doesn't help that I went through menopause at the same time. So, now I am starting over again with video and streaming workouts.

I need something really easy. I tend to be a pear shape so a lot of the excess weight is in my lower belly and hips. I also need something that is not going to stress out my body or I will just end up gaining weight. I briefly tried to work out with a personal trainer doing weights at the beginning of the year but I ended up gaining weight and feeling awful.

I just want to hit the easy button and slowly get my stressed out body to shift. I have a ton of exercise videos and I like streaming options too. I need suggestions for easy beginner workouts:

-things like stretching, yoga, pilates, barre, very basic strength workouts with bands or stability balls
-shorter workouts no more than 30 minutes
-I really need to work on strengthening my core, that is my biggest weakness

I am open to newer suggestions or oldie but goodie workouts. I have a lot of DVDs in my collection so I probably will have whatever is suggested. If anybody has had to rehab their body after a long hiatus, I am all open to advice.

Thanks everyone!

Dreams aren't just dreams, they are goals that can be achieved.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-20, 09:32 AM  
Leela
VF Supporter

I'm 3 years into menopause and gained 15 pounds at 45, which was hard to lose - I lost some, but gained back and for me, it was really food. IF was how I lost (and then I gained due to post job loss bad-eating). I work remotely at a startup, so I'm always working... no excuse to let my body go to crap though, which I've done.

I got on the treadmill to do a zombies run 5k session and wow - wow wow wow. It wasn't good. My hip flexors really hurt.

So I'm doing yoga - I personally like
https://www.youtube.com/c/MindBodySoul/featured

And walking my 10K steps again. If my 87 yo mom can do it.. in her house - then so can I.

I also like some of the 'how to' correctly videos to make sure my aging body gets proper form.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MindBodySoul/featured
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lETF5JRgEN8
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-20, 09:55 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Find some things you like to do. Things that come to mind that may be a fit are Classical Stretch episodes or short Essentrics workouts, Powerfit, Jessica Smith (she has a great rotation this month), or some of those old 10 Minute Solutions. How about a nice walk?

Just fitting in a little bit of movement during the day will be helpful.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-20, 10:02 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfitmom View Post
-things like stretching, yoga, pilates, barre, very basic strength workouts with bands or stability balls
-shorter workouts no more than 30 minutes
-I really need to work on strengthening my core, that is my biggest weakness
I could've written this entire post. And your wishes are EXACTLY what I've been doing lately. I've been sidelined with PF (again) which totally derailed my outdoor walking momentum. I'm back to stretching and core.

I've mostly been doing very gentle (aka beginner or even "senior") Pilates and yoga from YouTube. My current playlist includes:
  • eFit30 - Katie McKenzie's *beginner* classes
  • Lottie Murphy *so many gentle Pilates!!
  • Man Flow Yoga
  • Aalaya Pilates at Home
  • The Balanced Life Pilates with Robin Long *shorter, add-ons
  • yoginimelbourne *lots of short stretch

These, plus Leslie, which my feet tolerate. I also tend to fall back on my RehabZone set and Jane Adams when I'm in this place. RehabZone is super vanilla and maybe boring (I find it kinda zen) and totally focused on Core/Back and supporting muscles -- but it's pricey. I've gotten a lot of use from them but they're not for everyone.

I just turned 40 but my last 3 cycles have been wonky, so I'm sure my hormones are fluctuating/off. It does seem super early but who knows -- I *do* know that the extra weight isn't budging so...boo.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-20, 10:09 AM  
sherry7899

This you tube channel has many short workouts with fun upbeat music. The instructor is very supportive and positive.

https://m.youtube.com/c/fabulous50s/...wsEKHX8wArA%3D

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-20, 10:40 AM  
OSusanna

I always restart with Leslie Sansone but Jessica Smith is always good too. For strength I recommend Classical Stretch and Margaret Richard. When I am feeling beat up this combination of sensible cardio and bare bones strength training really helps me.

I’ve been there and these workouts always remind me to be nice to myself.
OSusanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-20, 11:29 AM  
Honeydew

You might like Melissa Wood Health. Her workouts are on vhx and are a blend of yoga and pilates. She does use some props, small ball, ankle weights and light hand weights(she uses bala bangles) but you can do the workouts without them. There's a 7 day free trial and streaming cost is $9.99 a month.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-20, 01:18 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

I really like this fitprime - it's a 2 week rotation 20-25 (never more than 25) min each day. i've used it when I needed to back off or get back into working out.

https://www.fitnessfavorites.com/product-p/6dt6ds.htm
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-20, 06:58 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Pahla B has an entire 30 day challenge of moderate workouts - they are geared towards menopausal women who want to lose weight. I did them earlier in the summer and had great success (combined with a diet change). https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZfvqKUyaPtNUIq

Pahla is not everyone's cup of tea, but it's a little bit like working out with a best friend. She does talk a lot.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-20, 07:00 AM  
Tugger31

I would suggest Jessica Smith's original Walk On 30 Day set or for something a bit more intense with a bit more toning, her Walk On 6 Week Transformation System or this dvd by Leslie Sansone which is super basic and the toning sessions are also basic https://www.amazon.com/Leslie-Sanson...SWQV18CVF2REHB

This is also Jessica's Beginner's play list
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...bKkKqaAlPlrLIY
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, beginner barre, beginner pilates, core, fitprime rotation, man flow yoga, rehabzone, restarting, yoga and menopause