Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-04-16, 11:25 AM  
RubyBlue

STS, XTrain or ICE series?

Hi everyone, I want to start a new program and I've narrowed it down to these three.

I have all three, and I have tried them all but not with any consistency so I'd like to give a proper rotation a go. I like them all equally (I know they are aimed at slightly different things.)

Goals: I don't need to lose weight but I'd like more body recomposition. (More muscle, for sure.)

I have a history of injuries (knees, back) but at the moment they are under control. I'll be doing Yin yoga for one day.

High intermediate/low advanced exerciser; I don't do any high impact any more and very little step. I can do all the ICE programs with reasonable ease, if that gives you an idea of my fitness.

I'm looking to do a 3 month plan for summer and I'll post results of whatever I choose.

Typing that out, it looks like STS is the ideal choice but I'm wary of injuries (I found STS 1 to be a little too fast, plus push-up overload!)

Thanks for any suggestions and advice!
RubyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-16, 01:15 PM  
Chomper

I'm a strong believer in not setting yourself up for failure. If you can do ICE with ease, then do ICE. You will build momentum from it, and really see where you can go.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-16, 01:21 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Since I'm a sucker for variety, I'd do a hybrid rotation. One week of X-Train, one week of ICE, one week of X-Train... Both come with rotation calendars so I'd be easy create the rotation.

Just my two cents!

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-16, 01:24 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyBlue View Post
... Typing that out, it looks like STS is the ideal choice but I'm wary of injuries (I found STS 1 to be a little too fast, plus push-up overload!)
When I did STS years ago, I didn't even do Meso 1. Too much Cathe same-old, same-old warp speed rep-o-ramas. I got Mesos 2 and 3. I enjoyed them and actually completed the rotation. I had strength gains, but was most excited that I gained back some bone mass that I had lost.

They are such long workouts though, I doubt I'd do that rotation as prescribed again.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-16, 01:28 PM  
RubyBlue

Ah, interesting responses, thank you! Still thinking about it and that gives me something to chew over.

That's a very pertinent comment about not setting myself up for failure. I did quit STS after 6 weeks due to an injury, and that's nagging in the back of my mind.

I like ICE very much and so it might be time to give it a proper chance (and it has the benefit of being new).

Thanks; will report back! I think all 3 are good in their own way.
Old 04-04-16, 01:31 PM  
bubbles76

Why not an Xtrain/ICE rotation? I believe the ICE guide has it.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-16, 01:59 PM  
RubyBlue

Actually that's a very good idea.

A mixed rotation combining both would be great. I'd add in STS but my heart sinks a bit....it's something I feel I should do but not what I want to do.

Thanks; I'll do the XTrain/ICE rotation.

Thanks everyone, that really helped!
Old 04-04-16, 02:07 PM  
zoegirl

Can't wait to hear your progress reports! I have 3 of the ICE workouts and really like them. You may be enabling me to get the rest of the set!
zoegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-16, 02:10 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Why not an Xtrain/ICE rotation? I believe the ICE guide has it.
Ooh, I like the idea of this!!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-16, 02:11 PM  
RubyBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoegirl View Post
Can't wait to hear your progress reports! I have 3 of the ICE workouts and really like them. You may be enabling me to get the rest of the set!

Thanks! I'll do an update after the first month.

I really do like the ICE workouts; you can modify down if you want to, and also modify up if you can on the weight workouts and Blizzard Blasts. It's really flexible and Cathe seems very 'up' and sparkling.

I don't think there's a bad DVD in the set; there's usually one I don't like or don't do in every Cathe series, but not this time.

Tags
cathe, ice series, sts, xtrain