Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-13-16, 08:13 PM  
holliholli915

Has This Ever Happened to Anyone??

I've been doing kettlebells and dance cardio (as my steady state cardio) for a while. I just started kb's about five weeks ago and I can't believe how awesome they are for my body! The amount of fat I have burned has been surprising and the way my body has lifted in certain areas wouldn't have been believed had I not seen it for myself. Needless to say, I'm super impressed and don't plan on giving kb's up any time soon.

I had actually been happy with strength and endurance gains achieved as well, especially since it's all happened so quickly. But, I was feeling tight and decided to add Yin Yoga this Saturday. Just one day and only for 1 hour. Well, I went back to my kb workout today and I was wiped out! It wasn't like I was a complete beginner again. But, there was a marked difference in the way I felt during the workout. I really had to talk to myself to get through it.

Has anyone ever had that happen to them? Where you did a good stretch and your muscles kind of reverted backwards? I have heard that fascia stretching (Yin Yoga seems to impact fascia) can be an effective way of getting a better workout and that more athletes are incorporating Yin. But, I'm confused why I had to work so much harder today to get through my kb workout. Really look forward to any insight!
holliholli915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-16, 08:29 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

wow - may i ask what weight your KB is?

in answer to your question, no i haven't done an exclusive KB rotation, and the one i own is 5#.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-16, 08:31 PM  
ncl

I did Yin Yoga once. Just once and I don't see myself doing it again. I didn't feel good afterwards and it was too much. I feel much better after doing some flow yoga or something more active or just gentle yoga. I don't remember how it was going back to other workouts but I did feel it exacerbated some problems I had been having with my piriformis.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-16, 08:41 PM  
holliholli915

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
wow - may i ask what weight your KB is?

in answer to your question, no i haven't done an exclusive KB rotation, and the one i own is 5#.
I use a 14# kettlebell -- I have an adjustable bell that goes up to 20# in 3# increments with the base weighing 5#. So, that's why it's an odd weight.

Also, I use KBKB which is probably not for purists. But, I absolutely LOVE it and will not be changing unless somehow it stops working. I doubt that's going to happen. I used to do 45 min of TA DC and 45 min of TA MS work and never got these results!
Old 03-13-16, 09:01 PM  
bubbles76

Nothing to add holliholli915, but I plan on starting a KBKB rotation tomorrow, if my knee holds up. I will be using dumbbells, as I don't have a kettlebell. I hope to get similar results yours. Which series are you using?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-16, 09:03 PM  
andtckrtoo

Yin yoga really stretches the muscles. I think it's less that your muscles "forgot" or lost strength, but more because they were already used.
Old 03-13-16, 09:20 PM  
LizEMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliholli915 View Post
Also, I use KBKB which is probably not for purists. But, I absolutely LOVE it and will not be changing unless somehow it stops working.
Holli,
I can't add even the remotest bit of insight to your situation, but I hope you don't mind me chiming in to thank you for the positive words about KBKB. I've been sitting on KBKB for awhile now (JUST coming off of a long "break"); I've been easing myself slowly back in to things, but they are first on my list for when I feel conditioned enough to do something more challenging.

I'm thrilled they've worked so wonderfully for you and selfishly hope they do the same for me.
Old 03-13-16, 09:21 PM  
videofit

Are you getting at least one rest day per week?
Old 03-13-16, 09:30 PM  
JENILU

Sometimesa long slow practice like yin can release toxins and make you feel a bit ill for a while, like they've been built up in 1 spot. I have nothing to back this up here, but have heard it often for different types of things, and have often felt it myself. Maybe its built up lactic acid or something? Maybe you need an active rest day somewhere in between of a long walk or something to allow that stuff to move on out? I might be making no sense, but my gut says its true, lol

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-16, 09:51 PM  
holliholli915

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Nothing to add holliholli915, but I plan on starting a KBKB rotation tomorrow, if my knee holds up. I will be using dumbbells, as I don't have a kettlebell. I hope to get similar results yours. Which series are you using?
Dasha talks a lot about results and when I started, I didn't believe a single word. But, I knew that adding strength would help overall. So, I wasn't expecting anything but to get stronger and looked forward to the dance cardio to burn the fat. But, KBKB has cut more fat than anything else I've ever done. So, as long as you use proper form and challenge yourself with weight but don't overdo it, I think you'll see results. One more thing, I follow her Intermediate rotation and tack on additional cardio. I use Scorcher right now. But, I've bought everything except Scorcher 2.0 and Co-ed because I'm obsessed! Please keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
Yin yoga really stretches the muscles. I think it's less that your muscles "forgot" or lost strength, but more because they were already used.
Could be.... But, I guess I thought after 24 hours, I'd be ready to go again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizEMA View Post
Holli,
I can't add even the remotest bit of insight to your situation, but I hope you don't mind me chiming in to thank you for the positive words about KBKB. I've been sitting on KBKB for awhile now (JUST coming off of a long "break"); I've been easing myself slowly back in to things, but they are first on my list for when I feel conditioned enough to do something more challenging.

I'm thrilled they've worked so wonderfully for you and selfishly hope they do the same for me.
Thank you! Yes, give it a try and don't let it intimidate you. I was very intimidated at first and didn't think it was my type of workout. I'm not really the Crossfit kinda girl. But, this is nothing like Crossfit. It's definitely it's own thing. The only thing I would do while you're waiting to start is check out videos on using proper form. I viewed this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMQH...2yYwd2&index=6. I liked how accessible she made it seem. I also viewed A LOT by Lauren Brooks. You don't want to end up hurting yourself after recovering. So, making sure you know proper technique can really help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
Are you getting at least one rest day per week?
Yes, and the day I did the yoga was my rest day. It's rreeaallyy slow. So, I doubt I overexerted anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
Maybe its built up lactic acid or something? Maybe you need an active rest day somewhere in between of a long walk or something to allow that stuff to move on out? I might be making no sense, but my gut says its true, lol
Or, maybe the lactic acid was released during yoga? That's an interesting theory. I could go for that because it seemed like my body was replenishing it again or something during my kb workout.

Last edited by holliholli915; 03-13-16 at 09:52 PM. Reason: typos

Tags
good kettlebell form, kbkb, kettlebell, kettlebell kickboxing, yin yoga