Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-14, 10:56 PM  
bzbnmom

I just bought my very first Firm workouts

I have never ever tried a Firm workout. They were at a second-hand game/DVD store for $1.99 each. I couldn't resist, knowing that many of you have enjoyed The Firm. I got Tracie Long's Maximum Body Shaping and Tracie (on the cover) plus others Total Body Shaping Mix. Actually I've never tried any of Tracie's workouts either. They look brand new, though they may be the oldest workouts I now own (aside from Cathe).

BTW, what is a Fanny Lifter?
bzbnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-14, 11:19 PM  
jessicavi

Congrats on your acquisition. I started doing the Firm in the 90's. I still have MBS (and some of the other classics on VHS). After Anna Benson, the creator of the Firm died a few years ago, her son took over getting the Classic Firm on DVD. They Re on Fitness Favorites website. BTW, the fanny lifter is basically a high step. It was used for the Firm's "signature move" the box step up.
jessicavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-14, 12:00 AM  
PrairieGem

You can see the Fanny Lifter here. It's a two-piece step box; together they're used for high steps with weights; separately you can use them in place of a step for step aerobics. Actually, I don't remember using the taller box alone--anyone else? The smaller one was used for step in the BSS2 workouts, and I used it for that for *years* afterward.
Old 04-27-14, 09:04 AM  
Sandrine

I'm so excited for you and hope you love working out with the Firm! I started working out with the ("old") Firm in 1998 and still use the w/o's you just purchased today. Maximum Body Shaping (or Sculpting, depending on which edition you have) is great, because you can modify it so easily to suit your current strength levels and Tracie is an excellent instructor for Form.

The "fanny lifter" was the Firm's name for their taller step in their later workouts. Both measure 14", with the fanny lifter being 2 pieces, one 6", the other 8". The tall step or tall box used in MBS is one piece. The Firm sold those in heights ranging from 4"-17" back in the day. You should use whatever height is safe and comfortable for you.

Let us know how you like the workouts and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!
Sandrine
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-14, 10:30 AM  
CatInTheHat

Aah I have those two as well. I do the Max Body Shaping video A LOT. It's my favorite because like Sandrine said, you can keep modifying it to suit your personal strength level.

The fanny lifter was pretty expensive if I recall, I ended up buying a 12 inch step stool. (This one: http://www.amazon.com/eHemco-BE101-H...ood+step+stool) but you could just as easily get a Rubbermaid step stool from Home Depot or another store. The wood stool I have is more than adequate. I have a 16 inch stool as well and it's just too high for me at 5'5.

The lower steps (8 inches?) were supposed to be used for more aerobic portions of the Firm videos. I don't do cardio videos at home though, I try to get out and walk for my cardio so my DVD's are all about strength, so I never felt the need to get the lower step. (Even though, of course, I do have an 8 inch Rubbermaid stool hanging around.)
CatInTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-14, 10:37 AM  
ssa438
VF Supporter

Maximum Body Shaping is my favorite!

I just love MBS. I like the music a lot in this one. Have fun!
ssa438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-14, 11:23 AM  
Carol K

Originally, the Fanny Lifter was the Firm's name for its tall wooden step that came in heights of 12", 14" and 17". In the workouts, they just called it a tall box, but in the catalog, it was listed as the Fanny Lifter. After GoodTimes bought the Firm, they came out with the plastic version shown in the picture above and called it the Fanny Lifter. This equipment was most recently sold under the name TransFirmer on the Firm site, although TransFirmer was the name for another rectangular version of this step that is no longer available.

In answer to whether the tall box was ever used alone, there are some workouts that only used the tall box: Volume 3 (Aerobic Interval Training), Maximum Body Shaping, Better Body and Buns and Super Sculpting. There may be more.
Old 04-27-14, 11:39 AM  
LoveVA

I have a flight of stairs within viewing distance of the TV I use for my workouts. Do you think that would be sufficient to use in place of a tall step? I was thinking I could step up and down on the second step (skipping the first step).

I'm interested in Tough Tape and MBS, but am also trying to avoid having to buy more equipment.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-14, 12:16 PM  
firmaniac

...congratulations! I hope you love your treasures as much as we all do!! The story goes that Anna Benson was in a hotel, and taking the stairs two at a time, got the spark of the idea for leg press Your stair substitute would be ideal! It is about 14-16 inches depending on your rise and is A-ok! Have fun!

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-14, 12:31 PM  
Susan

You could use almost anything sturdy as a substitute fanny lifter. I remember years ago when many people used a Rubbermaid step stool and it worked perfectly for them. The biggest disadvantage to using "real" stairs is that you'll probably have to crane your neck to see the TV, and you won't be able to step around or over them like you would if you had a step stool or a fanny lifter.

One other thing -- start with a lower step than you think you need if you have even the slightest knee or hip issues, and work your way up to a higher one.

Tags
fanny lifter, whfn, wooden step