Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-14, 06:36 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Pelvic floor muscle spasm

Has anyone dealt with problems with a tight pelvic floor? I was recently diagnosed urinary retention caused by pelvic floor muscle spasm which has put me into physical therapy. I have recently purchased Eric Franklin's Pelvic Power and have used one of the visualizations to help with the urinary retention symptoms, and will probably continue working with the book, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem, and what they did for it.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 09:24 PM  
ncl

I haven't had your exact problem, but I did have a tight pelvic floor. Your pelvic floor and all the muscles that you can only get to internally can have all the problems that other muscles can have…tightness, trigger points, etc. Is your PT A pelvic PT? I am seeing one now and it is slow, but helping tremendously. I had trigger points on my obturator internus and have had some in my pelvic floor muscles as well.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 09:41 PM  
Gancho Girl

Carolyne Anthony talks a lot about overly tight pelvic floor muscles and how they impact on fascia, etc.

During my Pre/Post Natal training with her, she got us all to sit on a small ball (about 3 or 4 inches), with the small ball placed in the space between our sitting bones (for the side-to-side placement) and our tailbone and pubic bone (for the front-to-back placement). When you sit on it, it's fairly obviously where you're heading! Those of us with tight pelvic floor muscles were in agony within a few seconds, while the others could sit there quite happily.

Part of our homework was to continue to try sitting on the small ball, but also to learn how to release the pelvic floor muscles, rather than solely focusing on contracting them. There's a whole long bit of thinking that goes with this, but I've found it works quite well for my clients. Although I still dread sitting on that ball....

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-14, 10:48 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Katy Bowman has many articles about pelvic issues.

http://www.katysays.com/?s=pelvic

She even has an expensive app you can download:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/down-th...517486431?mt=8

Have you had a pelvic x-ray or sonogram?

I recommend getting second (and sometimes third) opinions if the treatments you are receiving aren't helping.

I wish you all the best!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-14, 12:11 PM  
cristinalatina

Sweet Jesus I had urinary retention due to uterine incarceration in pregnancy and I thought I was going to die. I gave birth naturally, no epidurals, nothing, because I couldn't bear the thought of taking the risk of it happening again due to nerve numbness from the waist down. You have my sincere sympathies! Were you catheterised?
Old 03-26-14, 05:04 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

NCL: I am seeing a PT who specializes with the pelvic floor, and she identified several trigger points. It's weird cuz it is slow, but going slow seems to be the trick because after just one session I got a significant amount of relief (compared to before the session.)

Gancho Girl: That sounds pretty freaky. I have the Franklin Smooth Balls...is that the sort of thing that I could use?

Alta-Tude: I don't know why I didn't check Katy Bowman's website. I guess I was annoyed that all the resources I found were always for incontinence. Even that Pelvic Power book doesn't really address urinary retention, but he does discuss flexibility extensively, so it has been helpful. I didn't have a sonogram, but they did something called urodynamic testing which was very annoying but wasn't entirely conclusive, but my doctor thinks the PT route is the way to go...and I agree. It is a little strange, because I rarely actually have pain, but regularly have retention symptoms.

Cristinalatina: Wow, your experience sounds scary. When I went to the ER, they did catherize me, but strangely I didn't find it painful. I wasn't pregnant, but they took at almost 2 L that day. I guess when you really need it, it's not that bad! The truth is though, I have had some retention issues ever since I started doing Callanetics in the new way (with engaging the pelvic floor and neutral spine instead of that big pelvic curl they do in Callanetics 10/10.) I talked to Judy Mooser about the problem and evidently she never had a student who had this problem. I further realized that I did not have symptoms if I did my 2x/day 10 minutes general stretching religiously (and I regularly fell off the wagon on this one.) So, I thought it was just something I didn't need to deal with. This has been the toughest to admit because I got so much relief in other ways with Callanetics. But for now it is off of the rotation. I think though that there may have been an underlying problem with my pelvic floor which was getting ignored with all my other stuff, and PT now is a chance to address it.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-14, 06:48 PM  
Gancho Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
Gancho Girl: That sounds pretty freaky. I have the Franklin Smooth Balls...is that the sort of thing that I could use?
The Franklin Smooth Balls are exactly what I use! Sometimes I use a slightly smaller size (I use the Franklin Textured Balls - the green ones), depending on how I'm feeling.

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pelvic, pelvic floor