Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-09-13, 03:58 AM  
lurkerfriend

JMBR or Slim in 6 for weight loss?

Hello,

I have been working out lately and watching what I eat, have lost some weight, but still need to lose about 50 pounds. I'm trying to decide between these two systems. I have tried them and liked both but never finished a rotation due to lack of discipline. I would like to start a rotation again with one of them, but not sure which one i should pick. My main goal is obviously weight loss, but I would also like to tone my muscles as well. I have read that slim in 6 gets pretty boring, but since I've done them before, I know what to expect and don't mind having to do each workout again and again. I would just like something that will help me get results. Which one would you recommend and why?
lurkerfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-13, 09:00 AM  
soccergal23

Even though I only got about halfway through the rotations for these, I had more success with JMBR between the two of them. JMBR just seemed more energetic, packed more of a punch in a shorter amount of time, and I liked the music more. I also felt stronger and clothes were looser. Slim in 6 absolutely killed my knees and was way too repetitive for me.

They updated Slim in 6 not too long ago to fix some of the issues with uneven reps; I believe there is also a different background cast. If you go through Total Fitness DVDs' (Mary's) Beachbody site, you can ask to make sure you get the re-released version. (I checked on this a while back with them, but decided not to re-order due to the knee issues)

http://www.totalfitnessdvds.net/SearchResults.asp?Cat=4
Old 11-09-13, 09:20 AM  
rheash92

Does JMBR have the warm-up and cool-down included in the 30 mins? thanks.
rheash92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-13, 09:29 AM  
dnna

yes, there is a warm up and cool down. the warm up is very very short. I was doing an additional 20 minutes (or so) -before the workout-easy stuff like Stephanie's powerfit, or on good days Firm Cardio.
the weight just dropped!
the cool down and stretch are also short- she gets a few stretches, I did my own 20 minutes of stretching -like CAthe stretch max.
JMBR is very effective, I just ended at weeks 7 and 8, I needed a break. I went down a couple of pant sizes and a blouse size. I felt like a got to a point where I need to do some easier stuff, my knee sent me some info that said -stop now, and you will not be injured,.
I do love Slim and Six, and used to do the "hard" use them all" rotation a couple times a year.I ight try again in a month or so, again, weight and inches fell off!
both effective!
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-13, 09:33 AM  
Zenara25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheash92 View Post
Does JMBR have the warm-up and cool-down included in the 30 mins? thanks.
Oops started to write this and got distracted. I agree with what dnna posted (in regards to JMBR, since I don't have Slim in 6). Yes the warmup and cooldown are pretty short usually about 1-3 min at the most. I like a long stretch (10-15min) so I always did my own afterwards.

I'm not good sticking with rotations so I only did these workouts one time through, and in the first phase did 2 workouts at a time. Also only did the 3 cardio workouts 1 time and the rest I subbed for other cardio because I knew I would get bored with those.
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-13, 09:55 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I love JMBR. I did my own two rotations of it last year. Jillian packs a lot into 30 minutes. You will really work your core because of the functional moves too.

I never tried Slim In 6. I do have Slim Series. I could never do a rotation of it because it was boring to do them all the time. The music is just bland. I do like the workouts so I just mix them with other workouts. I don't know about SI6 but SS wos are long.

What I mean about my own JMBR otation is that I didn't follow her rotation. I sometimes used her cardio but I cross-train for cardio. This is what I did:
Monday - TA sculpting, cardio, stretch
Tuesday - JMBR frontside (chest, shoulders, quads, etc) sculpting wo, yoga
Wed - same as Monday
Thursday - JMBR backside (back, biceps, hams) sculpting wo, yoga
Friday - same as Monday
Saturday - longer weight circuit and longer yoga wo
Sunday - rest or longer relaxing stretch wo

I did the Phase 1 wos for one week because they are easier. But I did Phase 2 and 3 wos for two weeks so that each phase would last 4 weeks (since there are two levels for each phase).

When I tried to do SS, I was trying to do the Hard Rotation (don't know exact name) as is. I probably would have lasted longer if I alternated them with cardio wos like I did with JMBR.
Old 11-09-13, 10:32 AM  
dnna

sorry / coming back to say- I used Slim Series for my rotations, not slim in six. I added Keep it up and burn it up to my Slim series set and add those two days into the mix. Burn it UP is an awesome workout. Keep it Up is fun.
Your joints might get a little achy doing the hard rotation. I remember Debbie saying to add a cardio day in between SS workouts to let your body have a chance to recouperate. It is a very challenging rotation.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-13, 10:56 AM  
lurkerfriend

Thanks for your replies! When i tried both of these systems i did a different rotation as the one suggested. With Slim in 6 I alternated them with cardio and felt that this rotation allowed my muscles to recover and also got more variety since i wasn't doing the same workout everyday. When I tried JMBR i also substituted some cardio days with Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire. I also added a short cardio on toning/circuit days when I had more time or felt stronger. But i was so out of shape then that even phase 1 was really hard for me. Now i feel i can try them again.

I thought both were good rotations, i just wish i would have finished them. I think I will start with JMBR and see how it goes. Thanks again!
Old 11-09-13, 11:03 AM  
lurkerfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
sorry / coming back to say- I used Slim Series for my rotations, not slim in six. I added Keep it up and burn it up to my Slim series set and add those two days into the mix. Burn it UP is an awesome workout. Keep it Up is fun.
Your joints might get a little achy doing the hard rotation. I remember Debbie saying to add a cardio day in between SS workouts to let your body have a chance to recouperate. It is a very challenging rotation.
Hi dnna,

I have both slim in 6 and slim series, but haven't tried any of the slim series yet as at the time, slim in 6 was hard enough for me. Right now i would classify myself as a high intermediate/maybe very low advanced. If i started a slim in 6 rotation, my plan was to eventually graduate to slim series when i felt stronger. But i was probably going to alternate with cardio days as I love cardio and also to allow my muscles to recover better.

I'm still torn between the two as I enjoy them both very much.

Last edited by lurkerfriend; 11-09-13 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Added info

Tags
body revolution, debbie siebers, jillian michaels, jmbr, slim in 6