Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-03-12, 08:09 PM  
princess76

Question Best for fat loss: P90X, Chalean Extreme, or TurboFire?

Hi, everyone. I've lost 40 pounds through healthy eating & exercise. I'm an intermediate/advanced exerciser who wants to go from size 14 to 12. I don't really care what my scale says. I build muscle easily.

What would you recommend I use for fat loss: P90X, Chalene Extreme, Turbo Fire, or something else?
princess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-12, 08:15 PM  
IrishOT

I would recommend a CLX/TF hybrid so you get the heavy weights with the cardio. But to only choose one, I would go with CLX, the cardio workouts with that set are short, but pretty good, and you could always add walking and other cardio workouts.

Congratulations and best of luck with the next phase of your fitness journey!
IrishOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-12, 08:23 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I second, CLX. CLX is what got the scale moving for me. I was fighting a bit of a weight gain from peri-menopause and menopause, and CLX is what worked amazingly well for me. Weight just melted off of me.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-12, 09:08 PM  
Vee

Debbie, based on your endorsement, I am tempted to get CLX to use after my current Ultimate Yogi Rotation.

I have never needed systems in the past. I tend to lose discipline and focus now. Having a pre-scheduled calendar of workouts that I commit to, keeps me on track.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 07:20 AM  
pharma_gal

Debbie what kind of weights did you use for CLX? And do you think CLX has too much shoulder work? I started having shoulder problems after doing CLX. Thanks.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 08:06 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
And do you think CLX has too much shoulder work? I started having shoulder problems after doing CLX. Thanks.
I stopped doing CLX during the Burn Phase because for me it was way too shoulder intensive*, there were way too many compound exercises and my knees could not take it (squats or lunges accompanied almost every single exercise), and I was not able to lift heavy enough on upper body exercises to challenge my lower body.

I know lots of people love this set and get great results from it but it simply was not for me. I liked Chalene, though.

* I am aware that some exercise instructors feel that by building up the shoulder area it can make the waist look smaller, but the shoulder work was overkill for me in CLX.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 08:39 AM  
Blackadar

I'd second eam's criticism that CLX has too much shoulder work. It didn't break me down or anything, but it was excessive. I thought it was good when I considered myself a beginner exerciser. But now I feel I'm well beyond that phase and wouldn't return to CLX.

Since you're intermediate/advanced, you also may be past the point of getting great results from CLX. It's only 9 lifts per workout, so there's really not all that much there. So of the three listed, I'd go with P90X over CLX or TF. If the majority of the weight is off and you're now looking to redistribute it, P90X will most certainly do that and do it well. It's a very tough program, but even doing halfsies (literally, stopping after 30 minutes and going right to the cooldown) will result in great muscle/toning results. P90X is tough enough that it will ALWAYS remain challenging. And I like that.

Depending on time/equipment and if you seriously want to strength train, I'd have to give a shout out to Cathe's STS. I don't like Cathe and working out to her is like working out to drying paint, but the STS Meso programs most certainly work. If you go with STS Meso 1, the workouts through the 4 weeks are essentially the same. So you might be able to find a trading partner who would be willing to part with Week 2 or Week 3 and you'd essentially have 90% of the entire one-month program. That keeps the costs down to a bare minimum (since all of these are expensive sets).
Old 06-04-12, 01:40 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I didn't like doing the shoulder isolation exercises in CLX. But I have a bad left rotator cuff. So I only did the military presses and other compound shoulder exercises. Then I tacked on kettlbell workouts after each one.

You can lift heavy with CLX especially during the Push phase. I used my Olympic barbell along with plates during that phase. For the other phases, I bought hooks so that I could use my dbs.

I would also recommend CLX since I like both the weight and cardio workouts. I didn't like the cardio workouts in P90X. I haven't tried the sculpting workouts in TF but the cardio is good in that one. But I read that TF is not good for sculpting.
Old 06-04-12, 01:45 PM  
Blackadar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
I didn't like doing the shoulder isolation exercises in CLX. But I have a bad left rotator cuff. So I only did the military presses and other compound shoulder exercises. Then I tacked on kettlbell workouts after each one.

You can lift heavy with CLX especially during the Push phase. I used my Olympic barbell along with plates during that phase. For the other phases, I bought hooks so that I could use my dbs.

I would also recommend CLX since I like both the weight and cardio workouts. I didn't like the cardio workouts in P90X. I haven't tried the sculpting workouts in TF but the cardio is good in that one. But I read that TF is not good for sculpting.
I'm not a big fan of the cardio workouts in P90X either. As far as I'm concerned, use P90X for Chest, Arms and Back; use STS for legs; use anything else for cardio = the best available weight-training exercise program.
Old 06-04-12, 02:05 PM  
flamingoo

Just curious if anyone has only done CLX without using weights( only using resistance bands)
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chalean extreme, clx, fat loss, halfsies, p90x, turbofire