Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-12, 11:35 AM  
Holly123

Venus Index vs. CLX Question

I'm curious if anyone has completed the Venus Index and CLX? If so, is the difference between the two programs that significant that it makes it worth it to buy V.I.? I've done CLX and loved my results and the two programs appear to follow the same style of training/philosophy. I normally would just get it but I'm hesitant since I prefer working out to DVD's rather than following something on paper. TIA
Holly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 12:10 PM  
marmact

I've done both Venus Index and CLX, and I found VI to be much more challenging than CLX, probably because the compound exercises felt less awkward than some of those chosen by Chalene. (However, please note I still liked CLX a lot.)

VI is three full-body workouts per week that run about an hour (there's rests and such built in, and some people say they can do the workouts in about 45 minutes, but they always take me about an hour).

I used CLX cardio with VI and had great results. With changes to my diet (serious changes, LOL), I lost nearly 20 pounds.

VI comes in a couple of varieties; I used the first set (original VI workouts) but have heard VI 2 is a more creative approach. VI 3 should be coming out sometime this summer; I'm hoping they'll run a sale at that time. Just for me, I found the VI Circuits kind of pointless (only because they used all of the same exercises, just changed the patterns) and I heard the VI Specializations were similar. Therefore, for new users, I would recommend either VI 1 and/or VI 2.

Of course, YMMV. Some people don't like paper workouts, but I found it was kind of nice to use my own music and go at a pace that was comfortable for me personally.
marmact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 12:18 PM  
Holly123

Thank you SO much for the detailed reply! Exactly the information I wanted to know. I'm definitely going to buy it now, minus the cardio workouts.
Old 05-25-12, 01:19 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

CLX and Venus Index are my most used programs ever! I did a full rotation with Venus Index Phase 1, bought the Specialization and Circuit programs, and then did a beyond Venus Index rotation that I created:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...ht=venus+index

I'm currently doing Venus Index Phase 2. The principle behind this training was introduced in the Specialization program. I am really loving VI phase 2!

I personally thought that the Specialization and Circuit programs were well worth the money that I spent, and I used them a lot. The circuit workouts are TOUGH! I'm a solid advance and I create my own kettlebell bodyweight circuits that are very challenging, and I was humbled a couple of times.

If you don't mind working out on your own, then I would definitely get this program.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 02:54 PM  
Buttercup

I did both CLX and VI, as well as VI 2, Circuits and a number of the specializations.

The biggest difference is the VI are all paper routines and CLX is a dvd. I didn't think I would like using a printed out program, but I really enjoyed this. I put on my own music (though for the record, I love Chalene's music choices and always think this is one of her greatest assets, but some might not like her musical tastes). I didn't like keeping track of the rest periods on my own, as much. With a dvd you just go when they go and rest when they do.

As far as the routines themselves, CLX are shorter, over all. Usually about 40 minutes (but I usually skip warm ups and cool downs, so if you do those, than they are longer). VI were longer, 45 to 60 minutes. Both I did 3 times a week. I found the VI more metabolically challenging. They definitely had a cardio effect, especially those darn step ups with shoulder presses. And CLX had some that has really slow reps in one of the phases.

VI2 had a lot more changes in rep schemes than VI. Circuits is very challenging mostly because you keep moving and they also are set up more as modules to mix and match than as a straight progression like the other two. The specializations were short add ons to focus on certain areas, like arms, shoulders or legs.

With both I did other cardio work outs. With CLX I started adding in some Insanity. With VI I was doing running on the off days.

I had a lot of success with VI. But, a big part of that was finally figuring out a way to cut calories that I could live with. I probably would have had more success with CLX if I hadn't been eating so darn much. But, CLX got me back into working out regularly after a huge family emergency derailed me for a year, for which I am grateful.
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 04:06 PM  
Holly123

I cannot wait to started with this BUT I've encountered a problem. I bought both VI 1 and VI 2 and I can't log on! Were any of you sent an email with a password? I've tried to contact them online and haven't gotten a response yet. I checked and my credit card has been charged so the transaction has been processed.

Anyhow, I might get the add-on's too at some point. For now, I'm guessing that subbing CLX and Cathe's HIIT will be enough cardio? Besides, luckily I don't need to lose any weight. I got them because they seem to be a tougher version of CLX which I've been looking for and hoping Beachbody would do but has not.

Thanks so much for the rotation information too. That's great!
Old 05-25-12, 04:08 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

You should have been able to access your workouts right away. Check your spam folder.

I think you've got the cardio covered.

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
Hope Fimiani
Old 05-25-12, 04:50 PM  
marmact

Hmm, maybe I have to give the circuits another whirl. I know at the time I was really annoyed because I wanted additional workouts (beyond the three weekly VI) to be less similar in terms of the exercises. Regardless, it is a very well-designed program.
marmact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 05:16 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Definitely give circuits another try. What made them tough is that you do 3 exercises one after the other before taking a minute rest. This combined with 4 circuits definitely is a challenge.

I also found these to be great to take on vacations with me.

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
Hope Fimiani
Old 06-26-12, 10:36 AM  
momofcha

I'm finally getting really intrigued by these. It might finally be time to take the plunge!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chalean extreme, clx, venus index