Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-24-10, 11:12 AM  
Yelly

T-Tapp...Love it or Hate it???

First of all, what in the world is T-Tapp?? I've read that some people are bored to tears by it, but other people love it. So, is this something like Classical Stretch, which, to me, took an "ah-hah" moment to realize how much I loved it?? I LOVE barre workouts...is T-Tapp similar to those? Is it stretching? And if I would ever decide to purchase or trade for it, what should I start with?? Her website was confusing me as to which is a good starter package because there are SO MANY choices....
Thanks in advance for all your opinions!
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 12:18 PM  
veggiesultana

I am also VERY curious about TTapp but have been put off by the cost and the website, it's confusing to me.
Old 12-24-10, 12:36 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Theresa has her own signature moves. They are unique and I don't think I could compare them to anything. She has a book out there that possibly borrow from the library. I know Lanette is a trainer, maybe she will chime in.

I did T-Tapp years ago after my 2nd baby. I could not get past how boring the workouts were. No music, just Theresa in her basement. It sounds terrible like I need to be entertained--which I don't feel like that at all. It's just that after 2 years I had enough.

I also feel some of the results are a bit misleading--seems like you measure every little place on your body.

Personally, I have had better results with barre and Classical Stretch. There are benefits to T-Tapp though. I always like Primary Back Stretch.
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 12:52 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I tried T-Tapp years ago. I ended up with a sore back. I even took a group class with Teresa (who was rather rude to me, as I've mentioned here about 200 times). The class was full of her loyal devotees (except for another VFer and myself.) They were all very overweight, even after doing her program for a while. I even had one of them tell me I didn't belong there - because I was slim! Then, there is the boredom factor.

The selling of supplements is off putting as well. Plus, the dubious claims that dry skin brushing eliminates cellulite. I did the routine twice a day for six months and still had cellulite.

Some of the moves are great for balance though.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 05:06 PM  
Demeris

I do hope Lannette pops on here. I've been doing t-tapp on and off for about 10 years, more on in the past four years than off because I made a commitment to my health the year before I turned 50.

The moves are unique, and as with Classical Stretch, I required an A-ha moment before I really understood. I also required several clinics where the trainers took us through the workout slowly, emphasizing perfect form.

I'm not sure I'll ever love t-tapp, but I do love what t-tapp does for me. It's truly rehabilitative. I've also gotten over the dvds just having Teresa in her living room with no music. In fact, I've gotten to the Zen point. I pop the dvd in, and I am in her hands, following her voice (which is NOWHERE near as irritating as Emily Splichel [sp??] or Denise Austin or Tracey Mallett).

T-tapp and barre have formed the core of all my workouts for the past 4 years, and I see them continuing so into the future.

Have you gone to the "Try Before You Buy" section of the website? lots of short clips that might give you a better feel for the workouts.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 05:22 PM  
TamiT

Well, I wouldn't say T-Tapp is a "fun" workout, but it helped me get stronger and more flexible, helped my knees and back hurt less and I lost some weight and inches,. At first it took me a while to grasp all the different things involved with each exercise but once I got it, I got it. I LOVE the book. It really helped me understead each exercise in detail. In fact, I suggest you go to your local library to check it out. Then use the free downloads at ttapp.com. Then you should know if this type of exercise is for you.

I agree with JackieB, Primary Back Stretch is the BEST exercise ever! I think that's the primary reason for my back staying pain free. I also like T-Tapp Twist exercise (chapter 4) and the way she teaches lunges (chapter 5).

There' a lot of T-Tapp downloads on YouTube and there's a short sit down "workout" featured at amazon.com on the Fit and Fabulous in 15 Minutes book page for free.

It's hard to explain T-Tapp (YouTube has a clip of Teresa explaining it) but I agree that T-Tapp may not be for everyone. After a couple years I took a break from it and started doing DDR (thanks to VF!) of which I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! I also like Classical Stretch (thanks again VF!). Personally I think Classical Stretch and T-Tapp go very well together. I have friends who like to rotate T-Tapp with Yoga and Pilates too. T-Tapp is aerobic, improves body alignment and imo, is rehabilitative. Most of T-Tapp dvds are filmed from her living room (my home to your home theme) or from her fitness retreats (more like workshops, not just a workout). My favorite is Basic Plus Tempo (not much talk, just each exercise done straight through - and it's chaptered really nice)

I work at a hospital and I'm on my feet all day. I used to suffer from PF big time, but not anymore. In fact, I can wear heels again and I don't think I could've ever done DDR before T-Tapp.

Hopefully Lannette will see this thread. She's really good at explaining what T-Tapp is and how it works. All I know is that it works for me and I think I've gotten my money's worth x 10 because in the beginning I called their office ALL the time with questions for help (they offer lifetime phone and email help)
TamiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 05:32 PM  
traceym1

I have done T-tapp for 11 years. Lots of money spent on clinics and trainers. I know form! I don't mind the no music thing, but I never received the promised results. I never had that high great feeling when finished. I was over weight and could never get rid of it. I was not aware of how bad my posture was until the last clinic in which then I found Classical Stretch. My back and shoulder were always stiff and achy. Alot of the fit women you see do other forms of exercise also. I no longer do T-tapp and feel completely in love with Classical stretch /essentrics, lost 45 lbs and felt great from the first time completing that workout. I do not think I will gain back the weight either as I feel good. I also started taking up Barre recently and am really enjoying that. I wish I would have looked else where a long time ago but I so wanted to believe the claims that this was the best workout on the market. A miracle. I have to give t-tapp credit for my mind to muscle focus. That helped me click immediately to CS as where it other people longer to click. And if it weren't for T-tapp, I would probably still be into heavy weights and cardio, which I gave up after finding T-tapp. I would try and get t-tapp through a trade or ebay to see if you like it. I have plenty of books if you want one or all.
Tracey
traceym1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 05:50 PM  
akaAnnie

I wish Teresa would allow other trainers to "lead" a dvd like Burr Leonard has done. You're right, Lannette is wonderful at explaining the moves and she would be my first choice to lead a new dvd. It would also be great filmed in settings like Classical Stretch has used. Teresa lives in Florida and a beach setting would be so nice...and somewhat analgesic, LOL.
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 06:57 PM  
killoffsonny

I have a love/hate relationship with it. I do the basic workout three times a week and that's it. I stopped doing it completely for over a year but my back was bothering me and T-Tapp is very therapeutic so I went back to it. It lifts the but and really shapes the core. Not so great for upper body IMHO. At least not for me.
Old 12-24-10, 06:59 PM  
killoffsonny

OH forgot to say that I know the basic workout by heart. I don't even use the dvd anymore. I swore I was going to tear my eyes out if I heard tuck tuck tuck one more time................aghahghghghhhhh. I need to memorize the total workout too so I can skip the dvd.

Tags
dislike, t-tapp, t-tapp results, teresa tapp, ttapp