Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-10, 05:32 PM  
StrongFree&Happy

Workouts that give a round booty!

So this year i have mainly been doing a lot of cardio and yoga and it has really toned down my lower body which i am happy about, dont get me wrong! However i have noticed that my booty doesnt look the same in jeans so im thinking i need to add some "perkifying" workouts (to use someone else's phrase!).

Can you suggest some workouts that focus on lifting/building the glutes? I recall a few years ago, i did Squeeze exclusively for 3months and loved the results but as you can imagine, im really burnt out on that workout now. Im not a huge barre fan. I recently got Tonique Mat and 2.0 and i have subscribed to Leah's BalletBody workouts so im going to try and incorporate those slowly. Any other ideas? (Besides BBL!!)
TIA
StrongFree&Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-10, 06:26 PM  
artic123

Mari Winsor's Pilates Body Sculpting Buns & Thighs and
Winsor Pilates Power Sculpting Buns & Thighs with a resistance band.
Worked for my 61 year old butt.

Good luck.

Sharon
artic123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-10, 06:28 PM  
KathAL79

First, make sure you're activating your glutes properly. You can find lots of great ideas on exercises and even a test or two on this thread: Engaging the glutes ?

I've actually found that doing weights at the gym have improved my backside more than my at home videos (but keep in mind I'm not a floorwork junkie, nor am I a barre fan). New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROL4W) helped, but not as much as The Female Body Breakthrough (FBB). Some of the key exercises were deadlifts of all kinds, but especially straight-legged or Romanian (what usually passes for deadlifts in DVDs); squats of all kinds, but the 1-legged variety seems to get the glutes extra good; and bridgework, both on the floor and on the stability ball (also hamstring roll-ins on the stability ball). When doing lunges and step-ups, which are also good, you apparently activate the glutes a little more by stepping back a little further.

Kettlebell work has definitely helped my rear view. All of that work activation the posterior chain for swings, cleans, snatches, and more makes such a difference. But you'll need to spend time learning how to do these moves properly, if you don't already know.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-10, 06:58 PM  
AnMrsDe

Kettlebells!!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-10, 07:11 PM  
videofit

Floorwork with Margaret Richard or that old chestnut, Buns of Steel.
Old 08-16-10, 07:12 PM  
daisysunshine

Another vote for kettlebells!. You will feel it ALL the time lol

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-10, 08:18 PM  
mtngoat

Kettlebells made the biggest difference for me, too!

Backpacking in the mountains builds the booty amazingly fast, too! When you come off a 4-5 day roller-coaster like the Rockwall in Kootenay National Park, you are all calves and butt!

Lori

eta: I know, I know, it's water weight build-up. But if you do it frequently enough, it builds good hard muscle.

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"

Last edited by mtngoat; 08-16-10 at 08:20 PM. Reason: wording & addition
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-10, 08:24 PM  
deesharee

Another AMEN for Kettlebells!
deesharee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-10, 08:27 PM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesharee View Post
Another AMEN for Kettlebells!
How long does it take to notice a difference and do you have to go heavy with the KB? I've been using 15 lb KB mostly, use it 2 times a week now, and am looking for greater changes. Thanks.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-10, 08:40 PM  
counterclockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisysunshine View Post
Another vote for kettlebells!. You will feel it ALL the time lol
Oh my goodness, I have never felt anything quite like swings with a heavy kettlebell. My glutes have never been on fire like that, EVER. I have a J-Lo butt already (it's not nearly all muscle though, lol), so I hope it doesn't grow with kettlebells (unless I lose the fat). I would love some lifting though!
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
butt, glutes, kettlebells, pilates band, spongebob butt