Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-09-22, 09:43 AM  
cambet

Hi Ladies,

I'm back in SC. I've kind of felt out of sorts. I came back Tuesday in time to get covid tested for work on Wednesday. We start classes tomorrow and they had said that we couldn't teach without a negative test, but there is such a backlog here that they've given us an extension (I don't know anyone who has gotten their Wednesday results back yet).

I think that this was just the normal sick that I typically get after visiting the kids when they have the sniffles (I think this since no one else close to me also got sick and I haven't had any obvious covid symptoms, and believe me, I've been following everything closely). I still have a a bit of a cough and I'm still a bit nauseous, so I've been eating less, but other than that I feel much better. I did parts of CH Elite Wild Horse and Rope & Ride on Wed-Sat, keeping things pretty gentle, to help make my hourly step goals, but I haven't done a formal workout or made it to 10,000 steps/day since I returned. I had a work meeting, so I had to go to campus on Thursday (this meeting had to take place in person so of course we were masked and socially distanced), but I was able to work from home on Friday. I took my Christmas decorations down yesterday. I feel tired, but that always happens after I get back from playing with the twins and ramp up to start work again.

I haven't given much thought to a workout plan going forward, but it's something that I'd like to figure out. Hopefully, I'll get myself on track soon.

SB - I'm sorry that you haven't seen any improvement with your back. Shoveling and a bad back sound like they don't go together. Hang in there!

Penguin - Wow, I'm sorry to hear that you hurt your back also, but it sounds like you are on the mend. I've found myself on the couch under a blanket to stay warm quite a lot over the last few days. I'm glad you got a crockpot. That Pioneer Woman one with the flowers is pretty. I do have an Instant Pot brand Instant Pot, but I got a Cosori air fryer last year (for Christmas), but never used it because I was still using my smaller Dash air fryer. The Dash is on its last leg, so I'm going to open and start using the larger Cosori air fryer soon (maybe even today).

Nora - Glad to hear that you've been getting in some workouts, and now even have even more space to move around in your workout room!
Old 01-10-22, 08:08 PM  
patchworkpenguin

SB, I know you were frustrated by how long your back has been bothering you. It does seem to have been going on for quite a while.

Nora, congratulations on the new found space in your workout room.

Cambet, I’m glad to hear that you are back at home and are feeling better. I figured if I had an Insta pot I would probably still use it on the crockpot function all the time. Might as well stick with what I know I’ll use.

I did a work out yesterday and then forgot to post :-(. Improved Health’s 1600 fast steps and 15m LI walk. and then today I did Up to the Beat Fitness’ 30m Move into 2022 walk. I was a little disappointed that my back started hurting about halfway through today’s work out when it didn’t bother me as much yesterday. I was able to stop and stretch it out, however I remembered that not only had I vacuumed today, I dusted the crown molding (with a fuzzy thing on a stick :-) ) and vacuumed the fur out from underneath the bedroom furniture. I had enough fur to make a squirrel :-) how is Cindy not bald?

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-22, 07:24 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

For me, I've decided to try to get back to some strength training. I'm doing P90X "Halfsies". It's seems to be going well. Also, I've done a bit of walking and stepping here and there. Loving the new space in my workout room!

SB- I'm really sorry to hear about your ongoing back problems. I hope you are able to somehow get relief from that soon.

Cambet - Did you get your test results? Sounds a lot like Omicron!

PP-Good on you for the housecleaning. I have someone who cleans for three hours every two weeks...because I hate housework. She has Omicron and is out of commission until February to recover. I'll have to get out that that fuzzy thing on a stick myself soon. I told her she better not get long covid! I can only take so much.
Old 01-13-22, 10:11 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

I just wanted to pop in and say hello.
Still no exercise but I think that's becoming me just being out of the exercise habit now.
I have to get my head on straight again.
I hate saying this but the back does seem to be slowly improving. I've had this sciatica pain before and I know it takes months to resolve but I'm very cautiously optimistic and hope I haven't just jinxed it. LOL.

NORA, yes I definitely need some weight training back in the program. Well I need a program first. The new workout space sounds like a definite plus. I'm not a fan of housecleaning either and with my back pain it's been slow going but thankfully I can take my time and get to things as my pain permits.

PENGUIN, good to see some workouts back for you. Take it slow with that back pain. Vacuuming is rough on the back. So is washing floors as I've unfortunately discovered. Ouch!

CAMBET, glad you're back home and feeling better. Sounds like work has sucked you right back in. Rest up when you can.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 10:50 PM  
cambet

Hi Ladies,

I typed a post a few days ago and then got distracted and I ended up shutting my computer down before I posted it. I've done parts of Country Heat here and there, but really no formal exercise since I've been back home.

We hit the ground running with the start of class for our January-term. A coworker (one of the Italy crew) and I are teaching a class on mindfulness and activities one can do to relax. So, we're doing a week of baking, a week of restorative yoga, and a few days of hiking. The baking this week was enjoyable and a really good learning experience for the students but it was EXHAUSTING for my coworker and I. We brought in 3 bakers to teach about different baking methods (the last baker taught the students how to make pound cake, frosting, and different methods for decorating cakes ), but we had to go out several days and buy a ton of food and materials for the baking sessions after class hours, and it was just A LOT. We are having a show-stopper bake off event on Tuesday (no class on Monday for the King holiday, thank God!), and then we start yoga on Wednesday, which I am looking forward to.

SB - I don't want to jinx it either, but I hope that your back is, in fact, improving. I know what you mean about a lack of exercise making you fall out of the exercise habit. It's like my mind has all these exercise ideas, but my body is unwilling. This week was just insane with activity -- I made it to between 9000-11000 steps each day without even getting in a formal workout -- so I'm going to cut myself some slack, but I need to figure out how to get myself back on track with regular exercise.

Penguin - Good job with the workouts. Your comments about finding enough fur to make a squirrel and wondering how Cindy is not bald made me LOL. I'm always amazed by how many dust bunnies collect under the sofa and on the floor in a relatively short period of time.

Nora - Great job with the P90X Halfies and other workouts. Maybe reading about what you're doing will help inspire me to get my act together. I did finally get my Covid test result back and it was negative, thanks goodness. I am also not a fan of housecleaning.
Old 01-14-22, 10:50 PM  
patchworkpenguin

Nora, i’m not the biggest fan of housework either, even worse since we decided to move and head plan to have the house work on I stopped cleaning things like baseboards or dusting (really hate dusting) so now my work has piled up literally! I’m trying to do a little bit every week :-).

SB, I am very excited to hear that you feel your back is improving! I know you feel it’s about time! Remember to take it easy and don’t overdo it!

So my back is doing better. I did five loads of laundry, stood around for a while cutting/putting vegetables and pork loin in the crockpot, made two beds, washed two sinks of dishes and put all the leftovers away. Frankly, my back hurts the most when I was standing in the kitchen washing dishes. I have one of those squishy mats which is supposed to help. I think it’s the twisting and shifting my weight from side to side.

Friday’s work out was UTTB’s Spice Girls Power Walk. 150bpm! That was very fast but fun. Follows by Improved Health’s 20 minute Christmas walk. I plan on doing a couple weeks of cardio before getting back into my strength training again.

Old 01-15-22, 11:22 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Yesterday was:

Winsor Buns & Thigh Sculpting
Push-ups and planks

Yay! I did it and I'm here to write about it.
LOL. I wanted to test the waters and I did ok. I did feel some soreness during and after the workout but today it's not too bad.
Not great by any means but I don't think it's any worse. I was thinking a short walk would be nice today but it's just too frigid so I guess I'll take a rest day for a change

CAMBET, I think all those steps you're able to accomplish for the day certainly count even though it's not formal exercise.
The baking does sound like a lot of work but fun! Dangerous too if you're sampling the results.

PENGUIN, that's a lot of laundry and dishes you did! The walks sound nice. It's good to ease back into a routine. I'm definitely taking this comeback very slowly. I almost regretted the Winsor workout because I did feel some pain but it didn't make it worse so that's progress in my book.

Hi NORA.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 07:24 PM  
patchworkpenguin

SB, yay indeed! Congratulations on your work out! I am happy to hear that the Pilates didn’t make your back any worse.

Yet another ridiculous thing that happened to me, last night I had a huge sneezing fit right before bed and I swear I pulled a muscle in the side of my hip about where it becomes my waist!! It’s more annoying than painful, just one more thing! Today I did Improved Health’s 1960s walk. The music was fun and the moves are easy :-).

It’s raining all day today and supposed to start snowing tomorrow. We may get a few inches however it probably won’t stick around long, as Monday is supposed to be sunny

Old 01-16-22, 12:40 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

Great news from you SB! Hopefully, you'll be able to get back to normal before too long. I hear you about the cold weather. It has been absolutely brutal here the last few days, but is supposed to get warmer this week. Thank God.

I've been keeping up with my P90X halfsies and actually really enjoying it. I'm over and out in around half an hour, so dread factor is way down. I went for an outdoor walk with a friend, and have been doing a few cardio DVDs as well. Patrick G., Christi, and some Evolution Dance ones.

PP- That must have been one heck of a sneeze! I hope you're feeling normal again soon.

Cambet - my Country Heat etc. had gone missing but I found it when I rearranged my workout space recently. Maybe this week!
Old 01-17-22, 08:46 AM  
cambet

Hi Ladies,

Saturday I did CH Elite: Wild Horse and yesterday I did parts of CH Elite: Rope & Ride and took a 51 min walk (2 mile) to the gas station on the main road to buy a newspaper. We got 6 inches of snow yesterday! They said it was coming, and I figured we'd be shut in for a couple of days, at least, so I knew that if I wanted a paper, I'd have to walk. It was freezing, 28 degrees, but also quite invigorating. My street is always a mess when it snows, but I was surprised to see that they had not even cleared the main road (which is a major artery to downtown and the hospital), when I walked yesterday around 4:00 pm. I had to walk pretty slow since the roads were mostly ice (people had been out on 4-wheelers, so I tried to walk in those tracks). I made it to over 11,000 steps for the day (I also walked around in my back yard, put some food out for the birds, and cleared all of the snow off of my car). So glad that today is a holiday, so I don't have to deal with trying to drive to work!

I bought the round Cathe yoga mat for myself for Christmas and finally took it out of the box yesterday. I love it! So I'm thinking about doing some Ellen Barrett. At the same time, I have my eye on the Pro Form spin bike on sale at Aldi right now for only $202. It doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of a Peloton, but it would be a good beginner bike for me to see if I even like spinning. Not sure what I'm going to do, so in my indecision, I'm mostly doing Country Heat here and there.

SB - Yay, workouts to report! Great job! I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't end up making your back hurt worse and that you get some forward progress. Glad to hear that you are taking things slowly so you don't overdo it. Well, you were right about sampling the results from my class. Between all of the cakes, cookies, cupcakes, and other desserts that I ended up *sampling* from class, I gained 2 lbs last week. We had initially planned to do bread baking, but for the amount of time we have for class, it was going to take too long, so that's why we decided to switch to dessert baking and cake decorating. After the bake-off tomorrow, I'm glad that we're switching to restorative yoga.

Penguin - I don't know if you noticed that we posted at exactly the same time the other night. Good job with your workouts. So glad to hear that your back is doing better, but sorry to hear your pulled a muscle from sneezing. I hope it feels better soon!

Nora - Good job keeping up with your P90X halfsies and your other workouts. I did Wild Goose Chase last week. These days I sub in a lot of moves from other CH workouts that I like better, but I still do some of those moves, and its nice to have it for the rotation.