Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-21, 10:23 PM  
ots

2021 Holiday Gift Exchange (& Possible Zoom Get Together?)

Hi Everyone,

Part 1: It's time for our annual gift exchange!

If you haven't participated before, it's a lot of fun. Read some of the past year's threads. And, if you are interested in a vidiot style holiday gift exchange, follow the directions below:

1. To participate:

Please e-mail me by 11-3-2021. My e-mail address is mandagermain@comcast.net. Please put "VF Gift Exchange" in the subject line so I don't accidentally delete it as junk mail.

Your e-mail should contain:

Your VF Username (for example, mine is "ots")
Your Real Name
Your Mailing Address

I will e-mail you a confirmation that I received your e-mail. If you do not receive a confirmation from me, that means I didn't receive it. In that case, please PM me at VF.

Each year, some people volunteer to be willing to be matched with our international VFers. If you're willing, let me know.

2. I will put all participants' names in a bucket.

3. On 11-4-21, I will e-mail each participant the name and address of another member (which I will get by drawing a name randomly from the bucket). In the past, we have had people that got the same person as a previous year - it's bound to happen. If that happens to you and you want to switch out - let me know right away! However, bear in mind that we also have a smaller group participating as more people switch to streaming --- so you might still be paired with someone you've had before!

4. To participate, each person will send a fitness related gift (in the past, it included a DVD, but other options are worth considering) that you think the person will really like. A wishlist thread is started after the names are sent out --- please participate in that thread. Your secret santa will be looking for your post! You may also include a small token gift (something inexpensive) that the person might like. Please remember to include some less expensive options on your wish list --- we come from all walks of life and I would hate for someone to feel like they can't participate because of costs. This is true every year -- but especially this year -- lots of disruptions to our financial lives.

5. Another fun part is searching the VF boards to learn more about your person to come up with the perfect items - read some of their posts. This is easy to do...just do a search under their username and all the threads they have participated in will come up. But, even if you don't post often, don't worry - I haven't posted in a while myself. It's all about having fun.

6. Gifts must be mailed out (postmarked) by December 7th. Please make sure that you can postmark your gift by December 7th --- some people have had to wait until after Christmas for their gifts and that isn't fair to them. Obviously, things happen -- but, let's stick with the holiday spirit!

7. This goes without saying, but PLEASE only sign up if you will follow-through. I'd hate to see anyone disappointed by not receiving a gift! This did happen in the past - so please be considerate.

Hope you will all participate...you can post comments here, but please remember to also e-mail me your user name, real name and address.

Part 2: Zoom Get Together?!

Last year, we talked about possibly having a zoom get together. It never came to fruition --- but I thought I would try again. This time, I thought I'd actually provide a few more specific suggestions (such as a date & time --- although if it's not good, I am flexible). I have a professional zoom account that allows me to have longer calls with large groups. I was going to suggest doing it on Sunday, December 12 from 1 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. EST. I am open to suggestion on what to do? I am happy to teach a quickie 30 minute body pump or a 20 minute yoga class. Would love to hear other ideas. A cooking demo? Share cat pix? If there is interest, let me know.

Last, as always, I welcome comments on what we can do to improve the gift exchange. When we first started, it was VHS and some DVD. Then it became all DVD. Now some people are exclusively streaming. How should we adapt so that we can continue to have a great exchange? All suggestions welcome! It'll be good to see how everyone's doing....

THANKS!
Anne.
ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-21, 03:31 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I can't believe it's time for this again! This is one of my favorite times of the year on VF. I'm in and will get an email out to you soon.

I'd love to do a Zoom call. It is always fun to meet VFers and virtual is the way to go these days, especially since you have an account that will allow for it.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-21, 07:56 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

I love the intention of a Zoom conference.. How many years we've been on here and never met "in person".

it makes talking more effective, at least for me, when I can see who i'm supposed to be chatting with.

Just looking at avatars is not as warm as real people.

As far as the Streamers go since there is already a cap on the amount of exchange possibly gift a person a gift card to their streaming provider.. it does not have to cover the full cost but I think they always let you purchase Gift cards for someone.

it used to feel like people were of course seeing who can get the most or highest praise for what was in a persons exchange. Some people didn't want to say much because they didn't get to proclaim I got candy and a snow man and a door mat ya, and don't forget the dvd.

Maybe people could make categories from low medium and high so people can choose how to give a gift. Lot of people getting on in age and my not have a giraffe pockets. I'm speaking for myself now.

Are Amazon Gift cards possible to be in the giving.. ? That way you can just send the gift in an email and never leave the house.

People may want a Kindle book or a book by their favorite exercise instructor.

just thinking out loud now..

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-21, 07:11 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Yeah, there are a lot of possibilities and people can get creative. There are lot of things that people can do with all of the options these days.

Who else is in this year?

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-21, 07:34 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hi Laura, you were my first Secret Santa!

I’m very much into downloads & streaming. There are many ways to get creative, lots of streaming sites offer GCs & the bonus is you save on postage. Jessica Smith & Barlates both have options to send downloads as gifts. I’m sure other websites probably do too.

I’ve never felt pressure to spend more than I can afford, it’s not a competition. And I always find the thank you thread fun to read.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-21, 07:43 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Hi Laura, you were my first Secret Santa!

I’m very much into downloads & streaming. There are many ways to get creative, lots of streaming sites offer GCs & the bonus is you save on postage. Jessica Smith & Barlates both have options to send downloads as gifts. I’m sure other websites probably do too.

I’ve never felt pressure to spend more than I can afford, it’s not a competition. And I always find the thank you thread fun to read.
Thank you, Pam. I could not find the right words.

I am not sure yet about participating or being an elf this year. The holidays are going to be extremely difficult for me this year.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-21, 07:51 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post

I am not sure yet about participating or being an elf this year. The holidays are going to be extremely difficult for me this year.
Dear Sherry, sending you love & (((hugs))).

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-21, 07:49 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:

If people go back to the real reason for the Season, it won't be as stressful as people make it. Man made this ridiculous gift giving out of proportion. People are still people pleasing and forgetting the Manger.

What is the Cap on the exchange any way?

I'll go back and read the OP. I may have missed it.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-21, 08:08 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:

I can't even imagine. Sending hugs, Sherry.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-21, 08:09 AM  
sherry7899

Cheryl, there is no cap. Every year you complain. I am unsure about participating because I lost my husband suddenly two days after Christmas last year and my mother three weeks later. I do not understand why you start something about the exchange. You have been doing this for years. If you are not happy about it, do not do it.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
2021 gift exchange, 2021 zoom meetup, gift exchange, holiday gift exchange, zoom meetup