Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-30-21, 12:48 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJo View Post
Erasable Bond - the only typing paper I used but I had terrible accuracy.
i liked this too - if you erased, the tiny pieces of rubber would get inside of the typewriter, so i usually rolled the paper up or down so that it would get swept outside of the machine immediately after you erased something. some bond paper was smudgy too - had to be careful.

selectric: my first experience - i got to use one as a student employee in college. in the beginning, pica or elite was machine-specific. in other words, you couldn't use a pica element in an elite machine. very quickly, IBM made a machine that was compatible with both element types which made sense. "prestige elite" was the element/font of choice that our secretary asked us to use to make all documents uniform.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 01:26 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Helen, I learned Pittman shorthand in high school and was really good at it. When I entered the workforce, however, recorded dictation was the rage. At first we used these big tape "belts" and then the handheld Dictaphones came on the scene, so I lost all my shorthand skills.

Quote:

Does everyone know that the mother of Mike Nesmith of The Monkeys invented Liquid Paper. She was an executive secretary and a holiday window painter. Liquid Paper was the main correction fluid when I was in high school and college. Dried quickly and was pretty permanent, unless you put it on too thick and it flaked when you typed over it.
How cool is that?!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 01:29 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Once in a while, I still use the stuff when I make mistakes in pen on written forms.
Old 07-30-21, 01:45 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
When I entered the workforce, however, recorded dictation was the rage. At first we used these big tape "belts" and then the handheld Dictaphones came on the scene, so I lost all my shorthand skills.
somewhat related - we just started using Microsoft Teams for virtual meeting software. they have this function where it creates subtitles on the bottom of the screen of the person talking. i suppose you could download it and voila! you have a transcript.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 02:01 PM  
kat999

Quote:

Does everyone know that the mother of Mike Nesmith of The Monkeys invented Liquid Paper. She was an executive secretary and a holiday window painter. Liquid Paper was the main correction fluid when I was in high school and college. Dried quickly and was pretty permanent, unless you put it on too thick and it flaked when you typed over it.
Yes! Betty Nesmith Graham: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bette_Nesmith_Graham

She was quite innovative and what a smart idea! It's funny, though, how good inventions that were groundbreaking and necessary in their era sometimes get rendered completely obsolete in only a few decades.
Old 07-30-21, 07:38 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Helen, I learned Pittman shorthand in high school and was really good at it. When I entered the workforce, however, recorded dictation was the rage. At first we used these big tape "belts" and then the handheld Dictaphones came on the scene, so I lost all my shorthand skills.

How cool is that?!
I did know that about Mike N.’s mother.

I recall in grad school a presentation that included information about how in the electronic age we no longer have to use 2 spaces between one sentence and the next as we did on typewriters. How is that for a blast from the past!

To this day I sometimes use shorthand to write notes to myself. Especially if it’s something I don’t want anyone else to understand such as when I’m angry at work and want to “say” something really obnoxious or out of line. The bad news is I can’t read it back anymore. I was able to use it some when I was in college as long as I transcribed fairly soon.

I don’t know how to write it phonetically, but “ooh, kay, gay” periodically pops into my head for one reason or another.

I remember several years ago reading an article about there being a demand for people who could read shorthand because of all these old corporate documents that no one could understand, but were needed for one reason or another. The problem is that most people who used shorthand extensively developed their own abbreviations and to some extent, style. It’s hard to read someone else’s shorthand.

_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 02:04 AM  
Softshoe
VF Supporter

I had a typing job. We used carbon paper and whiting out mistakes for every page is something I am not missing.
Old 07-31-21, 07:18 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I used to use Gregg (?) shorthand. I remember I wrote down a dr. appt on my desk calendar at work in shorthand. My boss was insane and I guess he used to snoop around my desk when I wasn't there. Anyway when I came to work the following day he marches over to my desk and demands to know what I wrote down in shorthand on my desk calendar. I guess he thought I was writing bad things about him (gee I wonder why). I was so young I think I told him what I wrote. Now I would tell him where to put the calendar as I was walking out the door
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 06:27 PM  
Leonana

I remember learning to type in high school with the large screen at the front of the room, lighting up each key we were to press. Now that I look back on it, that teacher must have been so bored lol. I eventually became a legal secretary, so have always been a fast typer.

I took a year of Gregg Shorthand my senior year in high school. I think I was pretty proficient. I remember getting some Gregg charms for my charm bracelet. But I never used it after high school. I went to college, and by the time I was working full time, everyone was using dictation. I remember having an electric typewriter at my desk, but the office had one computer for large mailings, merging addresses with the form letter. This was in 1982z

Tags
off topic, off-topic