Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-27-14, 01:16 PM  
bzbnmom

Thanks everyone. I bet my Cathe High Step will work perfectly. I have enough risers to go up to 20" - more than enough. I feel like I stumbled upon a treasure!
bzbnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-14, 01:30 PM  
Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzbnmom View Post
Thanks everyone. I bet my Cathe High Step will work perfectly. I have enough risers to go up to 20" - more than enough. I feel like I stumbled upon a treasure!
That will work perfectly -- and it's actually even better because it's more adjustable!
Old 04-27-14, 01:42 PM  
LoveVA

I measured my stairs and to step up to the second step is 16", which is probably too much for me since I'm only 5' 3" and I will be using weights while doing it. If I want MBS and Tough Tape, I'll have to buy something to use as a high step.

On a related note--and this could be my ignorance or outdated information on strength training--but how does repeated use of the FannyLifter/Transfirmer/High Step NOT overdevelop your quads?
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-14, 03:38 PM  
CatInTheHat

LoveVA - I think all the muscles go to work when you step up 14 inches or so. I'm only a couple inches taller than you and the 16 inch stool I have is just too high. I love my 12 inch stepstool but I know I'm slacking on 2 inches worth. That's fine by me though, the 12 inch step up is the most comfortable.

It doesn't overdevelop the quads surprisingly enough, the first place I noticed a difference was my butt and hips. I think all those muscles go to work to lift you a foot off the ground so you get hamstring and glute work too. If the step were lower, I think it might be just the glutes doing the bulk of the work, but I think if you get the angle right, you'll feel it in your butt and hamstrings just as much.

Here are some other options:
9 inches

(I wouldn't pay shipping on this, just know that the step exists and try to find it somewhere in person like Home Depot, Lowes, Bed Bath Beyond)

11.5 inches

12 inches

13 inches

The 14 inch ones I found were close to $100. I bet if anyone is handy or has a handy person in the house you could easily make one to suit your tastes.
CatInTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-14, 05:45 PM  
Carol K

If the step is too short for you, it will work your quads more. Your thigh should be parallel to the ground when you have your foot on the step.
Old 04-27-14, 07:39 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

There's also the toolbox stepstool, at 12.5". Here's the same one in black or red. You can store some weights in it too.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-14, 07:42 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInTheHat View Post
Here are some other options:
11.5 inches
Just so you're aware, the actual stepping area is pretty small, 12 3/4" wide X 8 3/4" deep.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-14, 05:42 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzbnmom View Post
For leg presses I prefer my high step actually, and I set it at 12 inches. 14 inches was doable for me but I prefer it a little lower, so I lowered it to 12 and that is where it stays. I find that my form is better at a slightly lower level.

Enjoy your Firms!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-14, 08:44 AM  
Sandrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveVA View Post
I measured my stairs and to step up to the second step is 16", which is probably too much for me since I'm only 5' 3" and I will be using weights while doing it. If I want MBS and Tough Tape, I'll have to buy something to use as a high step.

On a related note--and this could be my ignorance or outdated information on strength training--but how does repeated use of the FannyLifter/Transfirmer/High Step NOT overdevelop your quads?
I would guess that this is one of those YMMV and depends on your form; I agree w/CatintheHat and Carol, I tend to feel it more in the glutes and hamstrings, probably because I try to put my weight in my heel as I step up. I've done the Firm's 90-day rotation several times over the years, sometimes w/extra cardio thrown in and sometimes as written, and it has strengthened my quads, but not overdeveloped or enlarged them. My experience is that the workouts have such a variety of moves, that no one body part is overworked. With the possible exception of Standing Legs, which if I recall correctly, has millions of squats and leg presses or Upper Body which has millions of push-ups!!

And you're right about needing some sort of high step for MBS and TT. Tough Tape is the weight work from the Tortoise and the Hare, which I am rotating right now. I tried to think of a way that you could do it w/out a step of some sort, and I can't. The box is used not only for leg press, but also for triceps kickbacks and to sit on for abs/obliques (MBS). Rubbermaid does make a 14" step stool, available at Target that works fine, if that is the right height for you!
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-14, 09:16 AM  
LoveVA

Thanks for all the responses. I'll have to check out all of these options.

Although, last night, I noticed that the little wooden stool that we use to help my twins get to the sink to wash their hands might work. I need to measure it and also make sure that my thigh is parallel to the floor when I put my foot on it. I'm hoping that works instead.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanny lifter, whfn, wooden step