Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-07-21, 10:42 AM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Hi. I hope you all are well. I've been missing again. Sorry. The cortisone shot in my shoulder wore off in a week. I don't mind the pain but lack of ROM seriously sucks. CBD works great on the pain and ROM but I just found out it shows up in urinalysis even tho they say it doesn't show up in drug tests. I suppose it doesn't matter about the drug test but I don't want to be accused of anything.

This week I a bad pancreatitis attack that put me in the hospital. That's where the drug test happened. I assume they test anyone complaining of pain for opioids but I don't know that for a fact. We were being sociable and had a slice of pizza with the chemo driver and her husband. I had taken my enzymes but they didn't work for that greasy pizza. The man was here and he went above and beyond taking care of me. So glad to have him in my life. When he came home from the hospital without me Miss Meow Meow gave him a piece of her mind so loud and long he called me so I could hear her. When we got to the hospital the paramedic on the ambulance told him to say he's my husband so they'd let him in. He told them fiance because he might as well be.

I haven't read anything yet. I'll try to catch up later. Right now I'm being yelled at for ignoring Meow.

Beth - which of your practices from YouTube would you recommend for someone who is feeling weak but needs to move?

I'm going to work my shoulder today if I have to use one pound weights to do it.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 01:03 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Today I'm busy doing house chores and food prep for the week.

Pam, I'm so glad the injection helped you!

Beth, I do think CBT is a good and beneficial method for some problems even though it didn't help my insomnia. I don't think my insomnia is due to my thinking, my beliefs or my lifestyle habits--it is probably a chemical or brain snafu.

Linda, sorry to hear about your pancreatitis attack. You're fortunate to have your man to help you.

I'm waving to Pat, Cyana, Sandra, Garrie and everyone who follows our check-in.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 04:47 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Meow and I were on the porch when a fawn came to visit. It laid down in the corner and took a nap. I put a pic in Meow's album.

Paine - I'm sorry you still have sleep issues. It's been a long time since that started for you. I'm very lucky he was here to help because he's only here two or three days twice a month. He says it's his fault but the chemo driver and I had plans for lunch that day. I would've eaten it whether he was here or not.

Beth - I enjoyed your review of Caged Lion. It brought up more questions than answers about where Contrology came from and Joe and Clara's personal life.

Sandra - sorry to hear you weren't feeling well. Also sorry your knee is acting up. My real knee gets cranky at times. Which DVD do you like best for rehabbing knees? Margaret Richard has some good exercises for knees. The quad exercise in Getting Better is good according to my surgeon. The PT's I had would rather do squats and lunges. How are the boys? Meow is hiding because the fawn scared her when it stood up.

cyana - sorry you still have sleep and hip issues. It's been awhile for you with both. I'm sure mister cat would enjoy your company in the middle of the night. When Meow is on the windowsill I won't get up to use the bathroom.
2 a.m. is not my playtime.

Pam - I'm glad your hip is feeling better. I have greater trochanter bursitis on the side of the replaced hip. It doesn't bother me unless I do side-lying exercises or sleep on it. Does your husband have relief from his shoulder pain?

Garrie - how's life with your SO? A friend gave me 15 or more The Firm DVD's that I had gotten rid of years ago. I'm hoping I can do them. I'll probably start with The Basics. Anything else would be too advanced for me right now. I was hoping for Tortoise and Hare but she kept them. Smart lady.

I googled my step-daughter and found out she passed away from covid in January. She was an LPN in a nursing home. She was 51. She and I disowned each other when her father died. I have a much better relationship with the SO's children and nephew.

Old 08-07-21, 08:27 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pam, that's good news that the shot wasn't painful AND that it seemed to help!

Linda, on no on another pancreatitis attack. And that is sad about your step-daughter, although I remember the issues that you had with that side of the family both when Jerry was alive and after he died. That's very good news that you get along so much better with SO's family!

RE videos from my YouTube, would you want something completely restorative or with some movement? If you just want to lie on the floor, you could try almost anything from the Restorative playlist, or you could try the Chair playlist if you want to sit (the seated ones, not the more active ones with the chair).

Otherwise, the "Lazy Days" practice is probably one of my most gentle:
https://youtu.be/A_bAo5JsYiw

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 10:06 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Today’s workouts:
~Jessica’s Poise & Grace - I kept my movements small
~short outdoor walk
~Restorative poses & stretches with my soft half foam roller - chest openers, supported side stretches, hip stretches, supported twists, & a little MELTing.

Linda - Sorry about your pancreatitis attack. Yes my DH is pleased with the results of his injection. He started feeling the results about a week after which is what the doctor told him to expect. It’s been a month & he has increased ROM & much less pain with movement which was his goal. It’s not perfect, but much improved and hopefully will continue to improve if he sticks to his exercise regime.

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 10:25 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Beth - thanks for the links. Lying on the floor is what I do best but I'll try them all. Not at one time of course. I drank three small bottles of Gatorade and feel much more energetic. I'm kind of still on the man's up all night sleep all day schedule so maybe that's why I'm getting energy.

Pam - I'm glad the shot worked for your husband. Two doctors at the hospital agreed with me that my covid injection was too high and went into the tendon. The surgeon says it's from a cortisone shot months before surgery. The doctors at the hospital say if it was from the cortisone injection it wouldn't have healed like it did and then gone bad. I'll wait and see.

Old 08-08-21, 12:01 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Getting Better (Upper & Lower Body work)

I had a good workout this morning. I only planned to do the upper body work but when I finished that, I felt like doing the lower body. I had to go down in my typical weights for the upper body work and that pi$ses me off!
Old 08-08-21, 01:58 PM  
cyana

Thought I'd pop in before the week-end is over - massive dark circles under my eyes and all. I've been awake since around 3AM.

It's been a reflective couple of days. At our weekly staff meeting, one of my co-workers (who does the same job) and I told our boss that we absolutely cannot work the number of hours that we worked during last year's busy season. We framed it as being a health issue and weren't reassured with the response. Long hours are part of the job during that time of the year (it always has been and always will be - the nature of the beast, so to speak), but working multiple nights until 2 AM took a toll and my body hasn't recovered. While I will try to stick it out, I've given myself permission to walk away if worse comes to worse (and yes, I'd give a notice ).

I did a session with Ana Forrest at a YJ conference years back. I'm glad I did it - she's amazingly intuitive as she walks through the room and offers corrections. I liked the slow deliberate pace of the practice, but never found myself reaching for the one DVD of hers that I have. She also did a demo at that conference - it was something to see.

Linda - Ugh. I'm so sorry to hear that you had another bout of pancreatitis - I'm glad The Man was there and able to be with you. Interesting observation about the shoulder and injection. I used to be fanatical about checking a patient's landmarks before I poked a needle into their body. You never know who is administering vaccines and such these days and how much training they've had on proper technique. I use CBD drops regularly and they point out that while there isn't THC in the product (they do external testing/validation), they can't guarantee that you won't have a positive drug test.

Paine
- My strength has definitely suffered with the long hours, insomnia and lengthy hours of sitting. I didn't know that potato was named Hannah - it just said "white sweet potato" when we were ordering groceries. It's big!

Pat - Baby Osprey was perched on the edge of the nest, standing on one foot earlier today, looking quite unhappy in the drizzle. There were some calls going back and forth - I don't know if they meant "Come on, Junior, time to fish" or if it was "Mom.......where's my lunch?" I did the Jason Stephenson "Chakra Realignment Therapy, Balancing the Chakras, Guided Meditation, Chakra Music" that you'd recommended some time back. I liked the chakra-colored sand visualizations and ocean sound in the background, too.

Pam - I'm glad to see you're continuing to do well post-injection.

Beth - How cool that you got to do acro-yoga! I'm not familiar with DBT - I'll have to look that up.

Sandra - I heard your area is getting the smoke from the Dixie Fire. I sure wish I could send you some rain. I'm right there with you on the R word!

Garrie - Have you moved yet? I guess the bookstore is getting ready for fall semester - good luck with the rush.

Haven't seen Carolyn recently - hope they got the renovations completed on their rental property. I've been thinking about her kitty.

Going to try to get in ETV and hopefully something else this afternoon, assuming I can stay awake!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-21, 02:27 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Cyana, I understand how you feel about the work overload. I'm surprised your boss wasn't more supportive. Yes, you have to put your health first. It's even harder to work those long hours of overtime when you aren't sleeping long enough to recover. Do your CBD drops help you to sleep?

Carolyn, I hope you are doing good! I bet it's blistering hot now where you live.
Old 08-08-21, 03:00 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Today I tried Beth's Supported Bridge Pose from a year ago. That was too painful for my spine so I did Seated Forward Fold. That was nice and very relaxing. I had my legs wide around the chair. Straight legs under the chair and crossed legs were too much on the newer hip. Then I did Reclined Tree Pose. Ahh. Beth, you can read to me anytime. Then Relaxation Pose. How can anyone not love Savasana?

I was stretching my shoulder as best I could while on the floor. The armpit is very tight again. I must do 3 sets of the 7 shoulder exercises. There goes an hour I'll never get back. I like doing them even if they are killer but I'm not getting any stronger like I was before the covid injection.

cyana - No one should ever be expected to put in the hours you do. The hours you work during busy season are ridiculous. I hope you convince your boss to get more help. I haven't met a CBD drop I could use without a fight. So I use gummies and lollipops. My "new" nephew has white coat syndrome and needs a good BP reading to renew his commercial driver's license. My pharmacist told me CBD lowers BP so I sent gummies and lollipops to him with his uncle. When CBD showed up in my urinalysis I sent him a text in all caps not to use the CBD. My guy needs to renew his CDL too. He had one of my gummies thinking it would clear his system quickly. Then I read that it can take days or weeks to clear a body so he's waiting til the end of the month to get his physical. If he gets drug tested at work and it shows up he'll be fired on the spot. The person who gave me the injection saw the incision on my shoulder and asked if I had a repair. And then she went high and stuck me. My ortho surgeon volunteered to give injections. He didn't realize the needle automatically went inside. He was feeling a man's arm. He thought he broke off the needle.

Paine, you didn't ask me but if I'm tired 15 mg of CBD will put me to sleep in 90 minutes or less and keep me out all night. I'm usually up 4 or 5 times a night.