Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-21, 08:09 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I was a competitive swimmer from a young child up until college. I didn't really think of it as exercise, but as training. I was training for meets and to improve my times. After I quit swimming I actually lost a bit of weight and stayed slim until my late 20s. I blame my desk job and bad eating habits for that. It was in my late 20s I bought my first workouts and began my exercise journey. Initially it was to lose weight, but after discovering the joys of lifting weights, kickboxing, and step I loved the way I felt after exercising! Although I started exercising with the goal of weight loss in mind, it is the mental benefit of exercise that keeps me motivated.
Very cool

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 06:12 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
amen. thank you thank you. I have snuk in a few times but while I was sick, exercise was not at the top of the list.

Just lifting me up works for me
Will do
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 08:03 AM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I'm glad your ankle is doing better! I broke mine many years ago and it took a year (almost to the day) to heal. I'm facing foot surgery soon and will have to take a long time off from any exercise (or any weight-bearing at all) and am freaking out about it. How did you manage mentally? This is really weighing on me. I depend on exercise for the physical and mental benefits and for weight management.
(snip)
So sorry to hear about your surgery. I hope all goes well!

How did I manage mentally? Well, I certainly wasn't prepped to be disabled for such a long time. I live alone, but was not able to do much of anything for myself, so one of my sisters took me in and cared for me. I was so grateful and I just focused on being a good guest and not wearing out my welcome. To stay mentally healthy, I wrote in a journal, kept in touch with friends (and my mom!), watched a lot more TV than usual, and did crosswords. I tried to read but I just couldn't focus on that. Oh, also, the physical therapists at the hospital (I had surgery and now have 2 metal plates in my ankle) gave me some physical therapy exercises which I did as often as possible. However, I was pretty tired most of the time and slept a lot.

As for my weight, well, I actually lost weight because I was totally dependent on my sister for all of my food. Her kitchen was on a different level of the house and I couldn't get there on my own, so--no mindless nibbling really made a difference! And the only food I kept near me were some protein bars that I didn't really care for and only ate when I really too hungry to wait for the next meal. I didn't diet or ask my sister to prepare anything that she didn't want to eat herself. I must say, also though, that I had totally lost my appetite for about 3 weeks after surgery. That probably helped with the weight loss, too.

Anyway--I hope you can prepare yourself to be strong and not let the little things drag you down during your recovery. Focus on the positive: My sister and I developed a very positive relationship from our experience of living together. I got quite good at crosswords (by my standards!), and I learned that I'm stronger than I think I am. Your "down" time won't last forever. Appreciate every little good thing and try to make the most of a difficult (but not impossible) situation.

Donna
Old 07-30-21, 10:23 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
Sadly. click bait, even on youtube suggests you can get a 6 pack from walking, lol.

I still have to keep my mind in check. I exercise for so many health reasons listed above and would have to work wayyyy harder than I think my body is able at this time to have one of those old dreams. i hate it about myself, and its what I keep having to fix in my mind, is following an instructor that doesn't have a body like I want. I have gotten a LOT better over the years, but it still sneaks up sometimes.

A VERY ugly example is when I was emaciated (meds, depression, cigs, hard job, etc..) and I tried the 10 minute solution Bootcamp (i think)- Sjhe is on a few Fit Prime videos. Since I was emaciated, and her abs stuck out a little (probably from muscle, but I was in such a bad headspace after an ex that left me for a very petite skinny woman when I was a little overweight, that I had very unhealthy body vision). I am so ashamed of those days. Those voices that seem to get in your head from ears like that seem to pop out hear and there, but I am much better in mind and reasons than I was then.
(Y'all please don't come for me. I am ashamed of that person and was admitting it because society and our own insecurities can be very hard to grow out of)
I think years on here have helped so many of us grow up in our ideals for ourselves- while we still may want better for ourselves and thats ok, we don't have a therapy needed view of it). I have left and come back so many times because I just need y'all. Most people I know don't even know or care what healthy living is- but years of having no choice puts you on that road, even if noone around you chooses to follow.
(If my long comments bother anyone, please PM me. i seem to have no earthly idea how to summarize)
I certainly hope no one would slam you for what others have no doubt gone through as well even if they don't say so in this forum. I know I can identify a lot with what you have said. I have evolved from the weight-diet-obsessed person I was but like you, sometimes it sneaks up on me.

I know there was a thread here about the show Physical on Apple TV but of course I can't find it now that I have watched the show. It deals with body image obsession in the early aerobics industry and some of it echoed my past (and maybe yours too) in an uncomfortable way for sure.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 10:38 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I would say my view has changed to more of an overall fitness focus rather than simply aesthetics (although I won't deny that I like the way I look as a result of so many years of work). I can't say I ever thought I would have a body like a particular instructor, as I could tell by looking at them that it wasn't gonna happen! I don't believe one needs exercise maniacally for hours doing killer cardio, and I now do a more rounded mixture of weight training and cardio. And I don't use a 10 inch step anymore for choreographed workouts!

However, I also don't think the VF participants are "typical" and the marketing for fitness seems IMHO to focus on aesthetics and what the money people think the public will buy. A current example is calling virtually EVERYTHING "HiiT" when it just isn't really HiiT in the original sense. There are also many shorter workouts available, as allegedly people are "too busy" to do longer ones (not that I'm slamming shorter workouts, it just seems there are more options than previously). It seems to go in cycles.

Cheryl, good to "see" you! How have you been?

FOLV, we were posting at the same time!
Hi, (waving).

I am doing well at this time. I had left because, I didn’t fit in and I had to find me instead of copy catting stuff I never liked.

I feel a bit better and now I believe I’m on the road doing me. I don’t mind not doing what every one else is because, that’s not my body.

The fitness industry gave me body shame and I just stopped.

I feel much better about ME and who I am to be with what I’ve got.

~~~Cheryl

Old 07-30-21, 10:58 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
(I had surgery and now have 2 metal plates in my ankle) gave me some physical therapy exercises which I did as often as possible.
Your "down" time won't last forever. Appreciate every little good thing and try to make the most of a difficult (but not impossible) situation.

Donna
I also had plates/screws inserted when I broke my ankle and then had to have them removed a few months later. It was a long recovery. Thanks for your reply and I'm glad you have been able to focus on the positive! I'm really trying to keep it all in perspective.

Quote:

That's what is most important! Good for you!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 11:32 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Hi, (waving).

I am doing well at this time. I had left because, I didn’t fit in and I had to find me instead of copy catting stuff I never liked.

I feel a bit better and now I believe I’m on the road doing me. I don’t mind not doing what every one else is because, that’s not my body.

The fitness industry gave me body shame and I just stopped.

I'm happy to hear you are doing better. Your comment about the fitness industry giving you body shame is so sad! I'm thankful that my focus on exercise was through sport and being the best athlete you could be, not what size you are. I'm also thankful that when I started with workout videos I discovered the Firm and their focus on weight training (Tracie Long, specifically.) It seems that the 80s was all about cardio, cardio, cardio and the need to be super skinny. Thankfully the fitness industry has come a long way since then. We aren't all built the same and we all don't have the same goals. Luckily there are tons of instructors out there and you can find one whose methods suit you personally. Don't think about what others are doing, you do you!
Old 07-30-21, 11:40 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I'm happy to hear you are doing better. Your comment about the fitness methods suit you personally. Don't think about what others are doing, you do you!
I now know what that means. Funny how you can hear something one day, you listen you say, ok. And you keep on going.

But really…are you really doing you? I know I wasn’t. Not with how I feel about exercise now. Like I said, the leotards and tights did a number on my head.

So many many emphasized a leotard, high cut on your hips and a flat chest.

Now. So different. Soooooo different. Having had cancer and learning more about what God has for me, is changing my head for the good. God does not make mistakes and he didn’t make one on me. <3

~~~Cheryl

Old 07-30-21, 11:44 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Cheryl, it's so good to see you posting again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
My purpose for exercise has definitely morphed away from aesthetic goals.

I do think so much information is out there now about the fallacy of spot reducing and bulking, etc. that maybe people will finally seek exercise for sustainable reasons?

I know the marketing is still so heavily geared towards mirror motives though.
I love your new avatar Linda. Agree with everything in your post.

I'm so happy that wanting to lose weight for vanity reasons alone caused me to be bit by the exercise bug. It's all about maintaining strength, flexibility, quality of life and independence now. And mood lifting.

I do still have some vanity aspirations.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 11:47 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Erica, I'm a foot surgery veteran. PM me if you like.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exercise benefits, motivation, self-acceptance, vanity