Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-26-21, 04:35 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Vantreesta, I don't know if you are still doing kettlebells, but I am trying to do 100 KB swings each day along with the yoga!

I updated my post above; today was Day 3 for me.

ETA:
Not sure if I should "count" filming a yoga video, but I added a new one to my channel today. It's called "Eight is Enough," and it's a series of 8 basic poses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRlXQxcQUcY

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-21, 05:49 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Day 3 * 7/24, Saturday .. Joyn: "Have a Seat & Breathe" (Jessica Rihal)

This video is just over 15 minutes. The first portion is stretches that are done seated, even in a chair (as I used it); the second portion is a simple form of pranayama (the instructor uses the word), which the instructor calls "ratio breathing." It starts with in-breaths and out-breaths at a 4:4 ratio and then builds to 8:10. The instructor explicitly gives some basic alternative instructions for those with breathing difficulties.

I'm reminded of the idea that extending exhalations does things to the parasympathetic nervous system, an idea which I've been told a few times but haven't practiced very much yet. I actually haven't tried very much pranayama because I've heard warnings about it (some of you may have heard such warnings) that have tended to drive me to try other things instead, but the simpler techniques don't seem very straining.

This practice reminds me of other breath-related practices that I've already been trying, especially using a full breath at relatively frequent intervals. (I've been doing this during certain kinds of work, but I wouldn't mind doing it in an inobtrusive way during other activities as well.)
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-21, 06:00 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Thanks for sharing the Joyn site; I'd never heard of it, and it looks great! I saw that you have to register but that it says it's "free" - is it really free, or do you have to put down a credit card/do a free trial only?
To register, I simply needed my name, an e-mail address, and a password. I did receive a confirmation e-mail, but it was simply a welcome message with no further action needed; I didn't even need to read it to start using the site. I went directly from completing my registration to browsing for my first video to try.

To log in, I simply use the address and the password (especially easy because I've been using a smart phone with keyboard settings that autocomplete my address). I understand that the site formerly allowed a free month and charged after, but I never investigated that option for myself at that time and therefore don't know how that process looked. (I do admit to wondering what their financial plan is now. )

Quote:
Henry, I'm honored that you plan to try my channel an interested to hear what you think.
Thanks for placing the videos there. I do tend to be fairly unfussy about things that bother others, though. (For example, I didn't read the discussion very closely, but I remember some prior discussion about your production values in some early videos. I don't really object to "low production values" if the product is usable, and I wouldn't be much impressed by a video with "high production values!" but, say, poor cuing. )
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-21, 08:29 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Henry, thanks for the additional info about Joyn! I don't mind having to register; I just didn't want there to be any hidden fees. I will definitely check it out further.

Yes, I probably made comments myself about the production values of my videos! Compared to some of the other beautiful sets you see on YouTube, my own "set" is just my basement workout room. I did find a way to improve the audio and got myself a box light, so the videos I've done in the past 6 months or so are somewhat improved (in terms of sound/lighting) versus the older ones.

RE pranayama, I have heard the warnings too. I think that the warnings fall mainly into 2 categories: 1) being cautious with some of the more extreme types of pranayama, such as super-long breath holds (not attempting those without a teacher), and 2) being cautious if you are pregnant or have specific medical conditions that might be affected (check with your doctor).

That being said, extended exhale is a wonderful practice! It can definitely help with relaxation, stress, anxiety, and sleep; I teach it both to my therapy clients and in my yoga classes. I usually encourage starting with a natural breathing, letting the inhale-exhale fall into a even pattern (e.g., a ratio of 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, etc.), and then gradually adding a beat or two onto the exhale, extended for as long as 2x the inhale if that is comfortable.

Another type of breathwork that I love is square or box breathing. This does involve slight breath retentions, so those who have any issues with breath retention should be cautious. It is an even pattern of in-hold-out-hold (forming the square), or even ratios, such as 2-2-2-2, 4-4-4-4, etc.
Here is a simple graphic (it says 4 seconds each side, but times can be adjusted):
https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...g?format=1500w
Or you may have seen this video from Calm, which uses 3-second ratios:
https://youtu.be/uxayUBd6T7M

And here is a 10-minute video from me teaching square breathing plus a color visualization:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8nc...nnel=YogiBethC
(It's one of my older videos, so the sound is a bit lower; it's better with headphones.)

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-27-21, 11:18 AM  
Vantreesta

Beth, nice job sticking with the 100 kb swings a day! I am still doing the kettlebell/bodyweight paper program I was doing but I just find 100 swings to be mentally grueling. It wasn't so bad doing the follow along workouts with Lauren but somehow doing them on my own is more than I can take!

Monday I plan to start a pull ups progression challenge instead of restarting Lauren's push, pull, swing challenge. I'm looking forward to it!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-21, 11:32 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Beth, nice job sticking with the 100 kb swings a day! I am still doing the kettlebell/bodyweight paper program I was doing but I just find 100 swings to be mentally grueling. It wasn't so bad doing the follow along workouts with Lauren but somehow doing them on my own is more than I can take!
Well, I'm only on Day 4 so we'll see if I can keep up. I agree that they can be grueling! Lauren's challenge is still available, and I particularly like Day 2 from that, which I did yesterday. I look for patterns that seem to go by faster. Today I did 20 2-handed, 15 one-handed (both sides), 20 2-handed, and 15 hand-to-hand sets (or 30 total).

I have to go back and add today's yoga plus the reading I did last night.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-27-21, 12:20 PM  
Vantreesta

That's great that the swing challenge is still up. I knew the last day was when I finally got to it but hadn't checked to see if it still was. I agree, doing the variations definitely helps!

Oh I'm also working through Shut Up & Train again. Did the first three workouts last week, the second three will be this week. After that I'm not sure if I'll do any kettlebell add ons for a bit or just continue with the paper program.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-21, 02:15 PM  
TonyaK

Hi all! I'd love to join in. I plan to start today. I had been planning to start a streak of yoga on August 11th, when my kids go back to school, but why not start right now?

I would like to do a little yoga every day (I love to do just the warm-ups from Ravi & Ana sets if I am short on time or energy). I would also like to do some reading about yoga, but I may not start that until August 11th.
TonyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-21, 05:35 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaK View Post
Hi all! I'd love to join in. I plan to start today. I had been planning to start a streak of yoga on August 11th, when my kids go back to school, but why not start right now?

I would like to do a little yoga every day (I love to do just the warm-ups from Ravi & Ana sets if I am short on time or energy). I would also like to do some reading about yoga, but I may not start that until August 11th.
I started back with yoga about 90 days ago and now it's all I want to do! It's perfect for Summer, when it's so hot outside!

I try to do a couple longer sessions per week but (most of the time) those shorter, gentler practices are a blessing when I haven't slept well the night before!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-21, 08:22 PM  
TonyaK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
I started back with yoga about 90 days ago and now it's all I want to do! It's perfect for Summer, when it's so hot outside!

I try to do a couple longer sessions per week but (most of the time) those shorter, gentler practices are a blessing when I haven't slept well the night before!
Yoga is fantastic when it's hot out - thanks for that reminder. I love that there are all different types, whether you want a long power yoga or a gentle relaxation or anything in between

Today I did some of Ana and Ravi's Short Sets for Inspiration and Ecstasy. I don't know how long I've had this DVD, but I didn't recognize any of it! I did the Tune-In, Warm-Ups, Look Young Forever, Closing Prayer, and Dance On! There are several other segments that I might try on other days.
TonyaK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sadhana, vf sadhana