Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-21, 11:20 AM  
angie_nrs

Running a 5K.....I'm not a runner

A friend mentioned that she was running a 5K next weekend and she mentioned that her brothers would do it too. Her brothers are not fitness oriented and one of them is a big guy. I thought, well, if they're going to do it, maybe I should too.

It's been years since I've done any running. I did a couple of 10K's several years ago, but quit running due to plantar fascitis. I no longer have PF issues but I still don't run. I keep fit by doing workouts at home 4-5 days per week. I do a lot of Katami 4x4, Cathe, and Cardio Coach on the elliptical. I also throw in some others, but those are my typical workouts.

So, a question.......If I do this, do I just do it without any training this week? I don't want to get sore before the actual run. I'm thinking it's going to be easy, but honestly, I just really don't know. I know that I'm more fit than some others that will be doing this, so that is my motivation for just going for it. I figure, even if I have to walk some of it, it's OK. I'm thinking I'm just going to show up and go for it and see what happens.

Anyone have any advice?
Old 07-11-21, 11:58 AM  
edensmom

My first and only 5k race I did with a friend for fun in exactly the same manner, she just invited me to do it and I thought sure. We just went at our pace. I was not a runner at the time. You will be fine. Have fun!
If you are worried about being sore maybe take the day off before. I don't think you'll need to but if you want to be cautious.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-21, 02:16 PM  
angie_nrs

Thanks for the reply and encouragement edensmom. I think I may hop on the treadmill tomorrow and see how it goes. I haven't been on it in a long time. Dang.....now I gotta figure out which shoes and clothes I'm gonna wear.
Old 07-11-21, 03:04 PM  
kat999

I did my first 5K without much training/prep at all, and it was a trail run, so I really felt it the next day. However, it's only 3 miles, and a Leslie Sansone 3 mile WALK is only 45 minutes, so bear in mind that even if you went as slow as a 15-minute mile it's not like it's going to be all day or anything. Even going EXTREMELY slowly, you'd be done in like 75 minutes, tops. Just be willing to walk whenever it feels tough!

I do walk/jog/run intervals where I walk for 1K steps, jog slowly for 1K steps, run for 1K steps, and then go back to jogging and walking. I also use the measurement of 1K steps to get sips of water, check my distance and pace, and check my HR to make sure it's staying in a good place. If your fitness tracker (if you have one) doesn't allow easy checking of your steps during a run, you can count in sets of 10 and keep track on your fingers.
Old 07-11-21, 06:18 PM  
angie_nrs

The curiosity got the best of me and I hopped on the treadmill. My comfy speed is around 4.7. I only jogged for 13 minutes and went 1.25 miles without much problem. I got sweaty, but wasn't breathing hard. I'm sure it will be more challenging since the road won't be nice and even like a TM and who knows what the weather will be like. Plus, I'll probably go faster with the energy of the race going on around me. That was my experience the last time I ran. My competitve drive definitely pushed me faster. I stopped short today b/c the shorts I had on were not comfortable for running. I'll have to try something different tomorrow. Maybe I'll just do a short one again and see if I can find the perfect pair of shorts.

I found out a couple of things. I need a sweat band on my wrist! I also need to bring my charged ipod. And, I need to find some comfy shorts. I'll have to remember to use some anti-chaff lotion before I go. I also am just using my regular ole' sneakers that I typically use. They were comfy and are already broke in....probably too much, but it's too late to do anything about that now.
Old 07-11-21, 06:33 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

you doing a short practice run on the treadmill was smart.

how far have you walked outdoors in a single session? if you've done a 3-mile walk, then that should be a good indication that you can handle a 5K.

i heard that there is a mathematical equation about how much you should be "training" the week going into a "race."

i found this link:
https://www.active.com/running/artic...20total%20rest.

i heard a speaker once talk about # of miles and frequency you should be training for a marathon, and the above link is similarly scaled for a 5K.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-21, 07:59 PM  
angie_nrs

Thanks for that Bzar. That was interesting about the sleep 2 nights before the race. I'll have to keep that in mind and take some melatonin that night so I sleep like a baby.

I've gotten advice from my friend too regarding eating a good breakfast and carb loading the day before. I thanked her, but I won't be doing that. I don't eat breakfast, except coffee and I try to eat low carb most of the time. That moring I'll probably only have one cup since I don't want to have to pee while running. I only live 3 miles away from the race start line, so I'm not going to get there too early either. I don't think there will be a huge turnout, but I'll register before race day so I don't have to get there too early.

If I don't feel any soreness tomorrow, I'll be pretty confident that this won't be a big deal. I'll still need to test out some different shorts, so it won't be my last time on the TM before the race. That's OK, I'll just add on an easy jog after a RWH video next week. I just don't want to flare up my PF again. It's been nice not having to deal with that.
Old 07-12-21, 06:59 AM  
buffmama

You got good advice - have fun!
Old 07-12-21, 09:51 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie_nrs View Post
Plus, I'll probably go faster with the energy of the race going on around me. That was my experience the last time I ran. My competitve drive definitely pushed me faster.
I have this problem too and have to really focus on starting slow. I also forget what it's like to run with a bunch of other people (some of whom will just stop dead right in front of you) and allow for not being able to maintain a consistent run/walk pace like I would on a training run by myself and just go with it.

You'll be fine. Have fun!

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-21, 09:30 PM  
angie_nrs

You're right Kate. I'm gonna have to concentrate on settling into my preferred gait after the madness of the start whistle. I'm not running with anyone (even though a friend will be there), so I'm hoping to just zone out to my music, look forward, and get comfortable. I'll pick up the pace at the end.

Strangely enough, my inner thighs had some slight DOMS today. It seems weird to have sorness there, but it must have something to do with my gait. Also my right heel is a bit sore.....grrrrr! I sprayed my foot and heel with magnesium to help with the muscles there. It feels pretty good tonight. The dang PF is why I don't run anymore.

Today I did a Katami (Hero 2) workout and that was enough. Tomorrow I'll try a short maybe half mile to a mile run just to test out another pair of shoes which are a little newer, but still broke in......and a different pair of shorts. That will be my last run until the race this weekend, so hopefully the shoes and shorts work out.

Tags
5k training, running