Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-14-21, 10:29 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Today’s workouts:
~BellyFit Zoom: Fierce Feminine Routine
~Barre3: 30 min signature w/o, strength/cardio combo

Beth - Your next YT video sounds great, I love twists! I like supported reclined twists. My deck where I do my classes has a very nice ocean view. We aren’t right on the water, we are one block away up the hill.

Cyana - I’m trying to focus on one thing at a time with the reorganization, otherwise it’s overwhelming. I’m getting there! Pictures come next, we brought some favourites back from the condo so I need to really think about where to put them and what to shift around. We do need another purge! My students & I love doing Essentrics outside. Lauren Finklestein did my level 2 exam, she is very good!

Pat - That’s so nice of your VF trader to return you YBB DVDs!

Paine - I love taking my granddaughters to the park. When they visit us here at the house we walk down to the beach & look for crabs under the rocks.

Sandra - Yep, it’s good to rest when your body asks for it!

Garrie - Enjoy your new dvds!

Linda - That’s amazing that your cortisone shot worked so quickly. My DH had one last week & is just starting to feel some significant relief from it.

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-21, 11:51 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

cyana - I have a Cubii Jr and love it. The Man says I need to get a spare because I'm going to break this one from overuse. Can you pat your head and rub your belly? If you can you might be able to type and use Cubii at the same time. Sitting tightens up those hip flexors and that pulls on the back and hips. I partly blame sitting for my hip replacement. With everything tight from sitting it was pulling on the bones. Heck, I was dancing 3 weeks after the replacement with the doctor's blessing. Replacing it might've been the best thing I ever did. I had no internal rotation and very little external rotation. Now I have hip flexibility of a 10 year old. I have the same kind of weather up here.

Sandra - Meow says hello to the boys. I thought of you this morning when it was so hot. Then we had a storm and it cooled off enough to sit on the screened porch for at least 10 minutes. Meow heard a dog bark so she made me go inside. A screened porch and locked doors and she still gets scared.

Beth - thanks re me knowing my body more than doctors. I think you're right. I just wish I didn't have my grandmother's joints. That book is something else. Mr. Gallagher must've learned Pilates because he had or has a nice practice on Pilates Anytime or the other streaming site I can't remember. It was a smooth flowing practice that I enjoyed. I don't use either site anymore. If I had known then what I know now I probably wouldn't have done his routine.

Pam - I hope your husband gets relief soon. Cortisone seems to work or not. I was giving the cortisone injection until Friday to see if it worked. It kicked in last night. Before the knee replacement the cortisone in my knee worked for about 20 minutes. I had ten in my spine but only one worked. The shot in my right shoulder is wearing off after about a year. I want another one. My wrists are good after 6 months. I hope the shot in my left shoulder lasts a long time. We never know if it will work or how long it will last. I have so much cortisone in my body I expect my bones to turn to mush someday.

Garrie - pistol squats. Lol. They made me do a wimpy version at PT after the hip replacement. Thank goodness I got to hold the straps on the TRX machine.

Meow Meow, who was a touch-me-not when she came here, has a new game. Every time I go in the bathroom she follows me. She puts her front paw on the side of the tub and stands there to get brushed. I must get a pic of that. When she's had enough of that she wants a belly rub. She thinks she's a dog.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-21, 12:04 PM  
cyana

Wednesday:
AM: Stability ball crunches x 50
Hip circles on stability ball - 10 reps in each direction with 2 sets
PM: ETV - 7.14.202021 Class - Balance & Core Stability with Lauren Finkelstein
YT - Guided Meditation Before Sleep: Let Go of the Day - Depression to Expression - posted 2.27.2017

I really liked Lauren and liked her practice so much that I'm going to try to get it in multiple times before it drops off. You know that's saying a lot coming from she with the world's most restricted hips, as I'm frequently grimacing so hard I'm afraid my face will crack. No grimacing (or colorful language) yesterday!

I randomly picked out the meditation practice from a search for something like "short meditation for sleep". It was 12 minutes in length and I liked it enough to do it twice back to back. It wasn't anything special, but pleasant enough and I liked the visualization of thinking of three things that were awesome or made you smile and I thought about the various butterflies who were flitting around outside my window yesterday and discovering that my gardenia bushes are apparently getting ready to burst into bloom again for the second time this season.

It was another major league insomnia night, so I'll have to work out this evening since I didn't get up in time this morning. I may do Lauren's practice again.

Linda - Costco puts the Cubii Jr on sale pretty regularly - that's where I see it. Speaking of patting the head and rubbing the belly - while I was brushing my teeth with the Sonicare this AM, I was standing on one leg (extending up/out of the hip joint and standing tall) and doing circles with the opposite foot (10 in each direction). No falling, but it was funny to have my brain keeping up with making sure I hit all the teeth AND didn't lose my balance! I'm trying hard to see if I can get my hips to loosen up before consulting a surgeon, but I fear the damage may have been done.

Pam - As you can see from my comments above, I really liked Lauren and her practice. I'm jealous of your ocean view - I'd love to be able to see the water every day.

Beth - Twists work for me - especially things that wring out the torso.

Waves to ALL - need to get back to work, as I'll be covering for a co-worker tomorrow.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-21, 01:28 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Today is an unplanned rest day although I'll probably walk to the park with my 6 year old grandson this afternoon.

Beth, for twists I love supine figure 4 twist; supine spinal twist, scorpion twist pose, eye of the needle pose, Revolved Wide-Legged Standing Forward Fold and standing spinal twist pose. Is banana pose considered a twist? I like banana pose!
I welcome your book and movie recommendations. They can't be worse than a lot of the crap we end up watching. The last cheesy movie we saw and enjoyed was The Mirror Has Two Faces with Barbara Streisand, Jeff Bridges, Lauran Bacall, Pierce Brosnan, George Segal and Brenda Vaccaro.

Pam, I have a ton of family photos in many large boxes. I know I should put them all on digital format but I dread that cumbersome project of using a scanner for all the pictures. Our scanner is on the floor in a small closet under our stairway so that would make the chore more difficult.
I bet your granddaughters love finding crabs at the beach!

Cyana, our two mystery gardenia trees are blooming now. They smell so good!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-21, 01:47 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Linda, I check out Sean Gallagher's channel on YouTube, Pilatesology. There's a lot of content and some workouts, although I didn't see any workouts led by Gallagher himself. They did have some interesting historical info. LOL about MM thinking she is a dog!

cyana, do you ever use Yoga Nidra? I like YN practices and find them relaxing, but others talk about feeling as if they have just slept for 8 hours after (I haven't had that experience, LOL). I haven't planned out the twists practice yet but might work on it this afternoon.

Garrie, in response to another part of your prior post - glad you enjoyed the baked oatmeal! I skipped the chips too (although I like chocolate, it's always felt weird to me to eat chocolate in breakfast foods!) and subbed raisins. I am thinking about trying it with some shredded zucchini as my "fruit" next!

Pam, I love supported reclined twist too! I'm not sure if I'll do anything supported in this video because I like to mix in some propless videos with the propped ones, but I might change my mind. Sorry that your DH is hurting; hope he feels better soon.

Paine, Figure 4 twist is definitely one of my persona faves, and I was thinking about including it in this practice. (Bananasana is more of a lateral bend than a twist, depending on how you perform it.) The movies I recommended weren't cheesy (although I love a good cheesy movie too, hence a lot of the scifi DH and I watch and certainly all of the Hallmark Christmas movies), just a bit more quirky and different. As I am typing this, I am remembering that at the very start of Pleasantville, it will seem cheesy, but it turns out to have some deep underlying themes and is very endearing.

Pam and Paine, funny you bring up photos! When I was visiting my mom last month, we did a preliminary sort through many photos - I've wanted her to digitize them for years, but she really has to go through them at first. Then when I got back home, I want through some of my own photos. I reviewed a lot of scanning companies and decided to order a small box from Past-to-Last, in part b/c they were very affordable and it part b/c they were very responsive to my questions. I just received my box with instructions, so now I need to fill it and send it back. I'll let you know how it goes!

Happy Thursday all!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-21, 02:35 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beth, yes, let us know how you like that Past-to-Last service.
I like having all those old family photos but they do make me sad looking through all of them.

EDIT: OK, I did end up going for a 2 mile walk to the park this afternoon with my grandson.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-21, 04:19 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Beth - is Pilatesology free on YouTube now? I used to pay $200 or $300 a year for it. At the time I did it he only had one workout on Pilatesology or PA. I haven't streamed either one in 5 years or more. The cat-dog growls when she sees someone on the property. It sounds like a gargle.

I haven't done anything yet. I didn't go to sleep until after 4:30 a.m. Having a lazy day.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-21, 05:48 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Linda I'm sure they still have their paid classes but they did have some limited free stuff.

Paine great that you are getting in so many walks; I haven't been doing much of that lately, and now my bike has another flat tire.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-21, 09:14 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

Today's Workout: I did the floor work from High & Tight (Brazil Butt Lift). Haven't pulled that one out in a long time. I didn't use the band or the ankle weights, but still definitely felt it in my "boom boom" LOL! Also got in a 45-minute outdoor walk when I had another one-on-one meeting with my boss. She is trying to schedule them once a month with all staff.

Re family photos, I had a box of them after my mom passed. Many were of people I didn't recognize, and there was no one living who could identify them. No one in my family (including me) is interested in genealogy. I let them go.

Beth: One thing I found interesting about the book is how while the author exposes Romana's fabrication of her claim, he also credits her dynamic personality with helping to keep Pilates alive.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-21, 11:22 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Today’s workouts:
~Essentrics class outside in my friend & fellow instructor’s backyard by her fish pond
~5 km walk
~MELT: hip pain map

Beth - I’m also interested to hear how your photos turn out.

Beth & Linda - My DH is not in a lot of pain, but has limited abduction in his right arm from an old rotator cuff injury that has gotten worse lately. The injection is helping, his doc said it would take a week to start feeling results. He was also told to take it easy for a few days and start slowly with rehab exercises. DS2 has given him a regime to follow. It’s handy having his own personal MD/kinesiologist.

Paine - Yes the girls love finding crabs!

Cyana - I feel fortunate to live so close to the ocean. I grew up land locked in the center of the country and didn’t travel much as a child. Now I can’t imagine not living near the sea.

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
twisting