Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-03-21, 05:59 AM  
donnamp

Lori - I can see how Ellen can tweak the knees (and shoulders) but so far, thankfully, she is still working for me!

What CS/Essentrics programs do you do? Streaming? DVDs?

They are having a sale now on their DVDs but I do own most of their content except for Season 13 and maybe some of the pain relief DVDs.

I always had good luck w/ CS/Essentrics - either for pain relief/mobility as well as "body shaping" - i do notice when I'm consistent it does work some sort of magic on my legs - I never measured or did anything "scientific" but I feel like my legs get smoother and more streamlined or something when I'm consistent w/ CS.

Since Pahla has drilled into my head that your weight does not have much to do w/ exercise I feel a bit "freer" so to speak to do workouts that don't burn tons of calories.....I always knew this inside b/c unless you are a professional athlete the exercise you do in say, an hour a day, is not going to be enough to address eating more calories than your body needs.

It does sound that you have found a good mix of workouts for your mind and body!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 10:03 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Lori - I can see how Ellen can tweak the knees (and shoulders) but so far, thankfully, she is still working for me!

What CS/Essentrics programs do you do? Streaming? DVDs?

They are having a sale now on their DVDs but I do own most of their content except for Season 13 and maybe some of the pain relief DVDs.

I always had good luck w/ CS/Essentrics - either for pain relief/mobility as well as "body shaping" - i do notice when I'm consistent it does work some sort of magic on my legs - I never measured or did anything "scientific" but I feel like my legs get smoother and more streamlined or something when I'm consistent w/ CS.

Since Pahla has drilled into my head that your weight does not have much to do w/ exercise I feel a bit "freer" so to speak to do workouts that don't burn tons of calories.....I always knew this inside b/c unless you are a professional athlete the exercise you do in say, an hour a day, is not going to be enough to address eating more calories than your body needs.

It does sound that you have found a good mix of workouts for your mind and body!!

Donna
Ellen is rough on my wonky shoulder too, I forgot that since I stopped her streaming a few months ago. I do miss her though, perhaps in a year or so if/when my knee heals sufficiently I can try her again.

I have Essentrics streaming, I bought it when it they were discounting the annual fee back around the first of the year. I've been doing CS/Ess since 2014 kind of off/on and I know when I do it consistently I feel really good. When my knee was still really bad, the only things that I really missed were walking and doing CS/Ess. So when it finally felt better, that's what I've decided to just keep doing.

I do a lot of the live workouts that they keep on demand since I enjoy rotating teachers. I don't find myself doing a lot of CS Season 13, although there are some really pretty backgrounds in it, which I really need. I really like Season 12 and 11, and some of season 10. I really enjoy the newer instructors like Sasha and Gail, so I do their workouts a lot when I have more time.

If I do a longer Leslie workout (like 45 mins to an hour) then I do just a shorter CS episode following that. If I do a shorter walking workout (like 30 mins, like Pahla or Jenny Ford), then I do a longer CS/Ess workout following that. I try to keep it to about an hour a day. If I do more than that, I'm super duper hungry and tired. And I've been down that road far too many times in the past few years. I aim to just do workouts during the week now since my workout area is the living room and I can't seem to clear anyone out over the weekend anyway. I garden a lot and do yard work on the weekends and I really don't feel like doing anything more than that.

No weight loss at all but I've given up the notion that that's even possible with my poor body. Thanks to Pahla, knowing that exercise should just feel good and really has nothing to do with weight loss has helped my mindset. I still can't seem to cut enough calories to move the scale, but I guess I'll settle for not getting constant injuries at the moment.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 10:22 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

LOL, my rotation includes NO Pilates or CS or Essentrics or Ellen or even much yoga. Life is too short to do exercises (or instructors) that I don't enjoy!

Thankfully, there are so many types of workouts that work well for different people.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 11:47 AM  
donnamp

Lori - that sounds like a good plan/rotation. Inspired by you, today I did a CS episode and Pahla's low impact from her June playlist and a 10 min Pilates workout. It is possible that once your body settles down changes will happen! Pahla's messages have helped me as well. This year I feel like my body is going kaput on me. Bad sleep, bad digestion, strange development of belly fat that I never had before (could be from pandemic induced/wok from home snacking), etc. I'm guessing it is a convergence of age, changing hormones, and life changes/stressors....

Alta - LOL, it is good there are so many choices!!!

Donna
Old 06-03-21, 01:13 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Bad sleep, bad digestion, strange development of belly fat that I never had before (could be from pandemic induced/wok from home snacking), etc. I'm guessing it is a convergence of age, changing hormones, and life changes/stressors....
Check, check, check, I've had that trifecta for nearly 3 years now!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 01:20 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
Check, check, check, I've had that trifecta for nearly 3 years now!
I know, I'm just trying to go with the flow and not get too upset about it. I really am trying to keep in mind Pahla's 5-0 method.

Although I hate counting calories, I'm working on being more mindful of mindless snacking. I had actually lost a bit of weight during 2019 and early 2020 due to stress - so the weight I have gained is not a bad thing - but it is interesting where it all landed and also I don't want it to get worse if I can help it. So, for now I'm working on eating when I'm hungry, not snacking on junk throughout the day b/c I'm frustrated or bored or avoiding a task at work, etc.

And I'm going to continue to exercise moderately, get my water intake where it should be, do the best I can w/ sleep and my mind. I think sleep and my mind go hand in hand, honestly. My worries keep me awake....

Donna
Old 06-03-21, 05:38 PM  
Tugger31

Yes, Mobility Basics is one of two workouts on Cathe's Perfect Flow from the Perfect 30 set. It can be purchased separately apart from the whole set.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 08:11 PM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I've been doing the same, dull rotation pretty much exclusively for about three years. I'll try other things and end up back with this.

Sunday: Stretch, Mobility and/or Balance
Monday: Steady State Cardio
Tuesday: Upper/Abs & Intervals
Wednesday: Steady State Cardio, Mobility or Balance
Thursday: Lower/Abs
Friday: Stretch, Mobility or Balance
Saturday: Total Body Strength

[/B]
I’m curious. What do you do for balance?

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-21, 10:40 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
I’m curious. What do you do for balance?
I try to do balance moves during the day, not just when working out. Sometimes I'll do cardio, flexibility or weights on a thick exercise mat to challenge balance. I have several balance videos. Some I like more than others.

Really like:
Lee Holden Qi Gong for Better Balance. It has a shorter and a longer routine. Very relaxing and focused.
Tony Horton P90X3 Isometrix
Paul Eugene (YouTube, mentioned above) Stretching Balance Exercise Workout | Mind Body Soul | 46 Minutes | Mindfulness | Refresh Your Self
I have a Nintendo Wii Fit Balance Board and that has some great games for balance

Good, but I don't use too often because the instructor's voices bother me:
Jane Adams Balance and Strength Exercises
Emily Splichal V-Core

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-21, 02:51 PM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I try to do balance moves during the day, not just when working out. Sometimes I'll do cardio, flexibility or weights on a thick exercise mat to challenge balance. I have several balance videos. Some I like more than others.

Really like:
Lee Holden Qi Gong for Better Balance. It has a shorter and a longer routine. Very relaxing and focused.
Tony Horton P90X3 Isometrix
Paul Eugene (YouTube, mentioned above) Stretching Balance Exercise Workout | Mind Body Soul | 46 Minutes | Mindfulness | Refresh Your Self
I have a Nintendo Wii Fit Balance Board and that has some great games for balance

Good, but I don't use too often because the instructor's voices bother me:
Jane Adams Balance and Strength Exercises
Emily Splichal V-Core

Thank you for the list! I find balance work is the most challenging thing I can do.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generic rotation, rotation, rotations