Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-29-21, 11:46 AM  
fanofladyvols

I have been trying to find a way to corral my cooking utensils. They all fit nicely but do swim around in the drawer.
I had hunted for an organizer of some sort that would fit but I didn't want to spend much either.

So I decided to use some rectangular Tupperware containers that haven't been used in a long while. They were my MILs and have her handwritten name on them so these aren't allowed to be purged anyway. Hoping this system will be something I can live with. Seems functional although not nearly as attractive as the options available at stores.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-21, 11:54 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Hi folks! I'm still slowly going through and packing my collectibles (geek alert!). There are a lot of little things. It is often a brain puzzler because I have to figure out how it goes into the box judging by the shape of the cut out.

Brain sore!!!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-21, 12:00 PM  
Vantreesta

Linda, most of our cooking utensils are stored in a bean pot (rubber spatulas and cookie scoops--yes multiple!) and a pretty pottery piece (all the spoons and flipping utensils) on the counter. Since smthg gets used every day (well, okay, not the scoops and spatulas) I like having them accessible.

Alta, I am another who keeps the boxes of collectibles when I can! I actually find it enjoyable methodically putting my Halloween village back in all the boxes and containers they came in (although I actually wish I could just leave it all up all year but that's another story! ;p). I realize that isn't the same as things one would leave out all year with no expectation of storing them but I do keep those too.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-21, 08:54 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I am happy to help anyway I kind. Let me know.
Izzy, thank you! wow - such drama!

happy to report that i got a call for an interview for next week. it should be interesting. it's at the university.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-21, 08:57 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Hi folks! I'm still slowly going through and packing my collectibles (geek alert!). There are a lot of little things. It is often a brain puzzler because I have to figure out how it goes into the box judging by the shape of the cut out.

Brain sore!!!
those Tetris skills should come in handy.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-21, 09:21 PM  
fanofladyvols

Jeannine good luck with your interview!!

Vantreesta I do have a silver pitcher with frequently used cooking utensils but really don't want to look at the other items P.S. husband is pretty disturbed with the new organization. He hates change and doesn't understand why I won't leave things alone

Alta good job! I have two Christmas decorations that puzzle me every year. I fight a cookie jar and a tealight holding silver knickknack back into their original packing every year. (Why don't I put them in something different?! )

My daughter has sorted through her clothing as she has transitioned into different needs/styles. So we took two huge laundry baskets to a consignment store and one large trash bag to Goodwill. She did an excellent job working through it all. I was quite proud of her.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-21, 11:38 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Jeannine - I'm sure you're going to do great on the interview next week. But no matter what, every interview (even if it doesn't turn out to be a good fit) is a fantastic opportunity to practice your interviewing skills, plus hopefully find out more about the employer and what the job position(s) entail(s).

FOLV - I try to repurpose some containers, etc. when I'm organizing and sometimes it works out perfectly or pretty darn close to ideal. However, I must admit, I sometimes find the lure of the drawer organizers and bins at Container Store irresistible... some are cheap (around $5 or less) but others get pricey and can be a bit overkill. I have a couple of long clear fridge bins I bought for yogurt for example that are super practical but otherwise my fridge is like the wild west compared to images I see online of some people who have everything neatly contained in bins.

I recently went through all my hair products* and post-shower products ("lotions & potions" as I call them) that had slowly multiplied and spread out over the counter top over the past couple of years. I had some of them in a countertop tray that just didn't quite work anymore. So I went through my products, got rid of the super old stuff that had gone bad, and corralled the rest in one small and one extra small of these relatively cheap containers: https://www.containerstore.com/s/sto...uctId=11007996

So now I have counter space again and am not knocking bottles over trying to reach other bottles. I went through my makeup and products in the linen closet as well and definitely made some space/progress there.

Currently I'm working on going through my jewelry (mostly costume) and getting it consolidated in one place and better organized and getting rid of stuff I don't want or wear anymore. This has proven to be more difficult than I expected due to sentimental attachments, the sheer volume of stuff being intimidating, etc. The jewelry doesn't take up that much space but there's A LOT of little pairs of earrings, pendants, etc. For some reason I even saved some rather "young" looking bobby pins with little crystal-encrusted butterflies and flowers on the ends that I wore to prom and homecoming when I was in high school!!!

The logical side of my brain acknowledges that I don't desire to wear these types of bobby pins in my hair anymore and haven't done so in 20+ years, but I'm having a hard time saying goodbye and I didn't expect that. They definitely don't rise to the level of me wanting to keep them in my "memento box" in the closet...yet I'm reluctant to let them go. They don't take up much space, but if I take that attitude toward everything in my jewelry collection, I'm going to end up with too much stuff I don't even wear, which makes it harder to find/access the stuff I do want to wear.

I've decided that (for me) going through jewelry is almost as bad as going through photos! I'd much rather do clothes or even old paperwork and files instead!

As I go I'm also trying to finally put my paternal grandma's costume jewelry and my mom's jewelry pieces (that I like and she no longer wants) into my jewelry organizers. Until now, I've just kept them in little jewelry gift boxes stuffed in a couple of ziploc bags sitting on top of my jewelry trays.

When I'm done, I have even more "fun" to look forward to because I need clean almost all of my sterling silver jewelry. Then, in a few weeks, my mom and I are going to make a trip to a jeweler (finally) to get a few of our favorite pieces hopefully fixed, e.g. about 10-15 years ago I gave my mom two pendants that she loves but both pendants have marcasite around the main stone and I think my mom was dipping them in her jewelry cleaner to clean them which probably loosened the marcasite because a lot of the marcasite is missing so she hasn't been able to wear either pendant for years. I have marcasite pieces from the same time period and mine are mostly all intact so I think it's how she was cleaning them that caused the significant marcasite loss.

While we're at the jeweler, I still want to explore doing something with my mom's diamond from her wedding ring (my dad died back in 2012 and she finally had her wedding rings cut off a year or two ago). She had them cut off because it was becoming an issue every time she had surgery because no one could get them off using all the tips and tricks and it turns out doctors and nurse prefer not to do surgery with jewelry stuck on your fingers because I guess one's fingers could swell during surgery (among other reasons)? They still did all the surgeries but they weren't happy about the rings being stuck on her finger (they even tried removing them while she was under anesthesia).

I think we finally determined that arthritis had made her first knuckle just too big a hurdle to get over. Anyways, her diamond is not huge but it's nice quality and I have sentimental attachment to it since I know the story of her and my dad picking it out and she wore the ring every day since 1976. The random jeweler we stopped into who cut the rings off her finger was sort of trying to steer me into buying a new diamond solitaire necklace vs. resetting the old diamond but I hope another jeweler will be more understanding that I'd rather have this stone reset (into a simple pendant) rather than buy something entirely new.

*I have curly hair and put on a minimum of three post-shower hair products if I'm wearing my hair down and curly. If it's going in a ponytail, I'm just using one. If I'm wearing it straight (almost never), it needs I think about 2-3 products. My hairdresser recently gave me (well, I bought it) a different curl enhancer product that's supposed to be an all-in-one deal so I wouldn't have to mix a bunch of things. I tried working with it and it works okay as a base "goop" for lack of a better word to start with but still needs additional products added to it or layered onto it. So I'm still in search of the perfect curly hair product that does it all (for me)--everyone's curly hair is different and mine apparently just requires a lot of effort to coax/enhance the curl and then tame it.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 12:09 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post

...So I'm still in search of the perfect curly hair product that does it all (for me)--everyone's curly hair is different and mine apparently just requires a lot of effort to coax/enhance the curl and then tame it.
I hear ya!

My hair's quite fine, and wavy, but it has almost nothing in the way of natural body. Goes flat in a heartbeat, and hairstyles are pretty much a pipe dream unless it's an updo for my long hair.

When I decided to grow my hair out long a good many years ago, I experimented like mad to try to find something that would work better than the shampoo, conditioner, separate cream rinse for tangles combo I'd been using since I was a child. Sure enough, I had fun, I learned a lot, but yeah, I'm back to that old routine. I've got more experience, having kept a hair diary, to track how my hair handles, air dries, etc., so in a lot of ways it looks better than it did (no more blow dryer!) but still. When a manufacturer decides to reformulate? Argh. I'm still mad at Fekkai for discontinuing entire chunks of their product line that were perfect for my hair.

I have managed to downsize the collection of lotions and potions too. I find it extraordinarily hard to get rid of the ones that smell really great even if they don't do anything good for my hair.
Old 08-07-21, 10:50 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Vannie - Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday! We really can't leave any holiday decorations out due to the feline mayhem that would ensue.

~jeannine - I've never played Tetris. I was not good at video games at all. Good luck on the interview!

I got bored with boxing the endless collectibles and have started going through closets and books for the Salvation Army.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 01:16 PM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
Izzy, thank you! wow - such drama!

happy to report that i got a call for an interview for next week. it should be interesting. it's at the university.
Well done on the interview. Report back on how it goes.

Tags
career advice, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, sentimental clutter