Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-21, 12:08 AM  
lizh

Hi everyone,
I'm taking tomorrow off from work so this is the start of the weekend for me. Yay!

I'm with you guys, I don't even want to read the other COVID threads on VF. There has been an uptick in Delta cases in my area and obviously the vaccine doesn't give us a 100% clear pass. I'm wearing a mask in stores again and they reinstituted the mask policy at work. Ugh! When will it end?

Sherry, I'm glad you are feeling better. There has been a nasty cold going around work and everyone is mentioning that it takes a week or two to get over. I hope your husband's childhood friend recovers. So sad.

Donna, How nice to visit the 9/11 memorial. I agree that all that is going on in Afghanistan is so sad. What a mess.

Pam, you are making me curious about Cathe's Boss Bands. I have a large Cathe library that I haven't touched in a long time. Some days I wonder if I should sell it but that would be giving up!

wishiwasinhawaii, I hope your weather improves. Hot and humid can take the pep right out of me and I've been having a hard time fitting in my workouts. I need to do it earlier in the day. Since I'm on vacation tomorrow and the weekend, I hope to get back to my rotatation.

Have a good one,
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-21, 10:50 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Well, my day out with my friend didn't go so well. We ended up getting into an argument about masks. I can't wear a mask when I drive because it fogs up my glasses and she refused to wear one in the car saying it's not necessary since we're both vaccinated. She had just been on a trip somewhere so I felt she should wear it anyway, and it just went downhill from there. So we ended up not going anywhere and I went shopping and to the beach by myself. It's sad this has become such a touchy subject, especially when I've been in the car with this person before and she never had any problems with wearing a mask.

I saw the threads on VF about masks, but I don't comment because I know it won't end well. Much like my story above.

I did a lot of walking at the beach yesterday and it was hot and humid, even there, so I didn't get as many steps as I wanted. I didn't do a workout today because even with the A/C on, it's still just too muggy in here. Tomorrow should be better, so I'm going to get back to Get Strong.

Pam, I've never heard of fabric bands! I'll have to look into Cathe's new program.

Donna, As you said, there is no changing minds about masks, etc. People are either on-board or they're not.

Sherry, You're so right about correlation and causation!

Liz, We don't have a mask mandate here (yet) but I never stopped wearing one when I'm out in public. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I feel safer with it on and there's no harm in wearing it, so why not?
Old 08-27-21, 02:14 PM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today was:

Pahla B - August Playlist Day 5 - Kettlebell inspired strength
Caroline Sandry - 30 Days to Flat Abs Pilates Day # 2

I enjoyed both workouts. I find the Flat Abs Pilates to be helpful for my back/hip as it does tend to focus on stabilizing the spine,

wishiwasinhawaii - OMG - I'm so sorry to hear about what happened w/ you and your friend. I mean, if I were going in someone's car or home and they asked me to wear a mask I would, no questions asked. Unbelievable. I'm also tired of people saying they don't work - obviously, they work better if everyone wears one, but it is still better than nothing. I'm also tired of people saying they do more harm then good - how? I mean surgeons and medical professionals wear masks all day. My Dad has breathing problems and he wears a mask w/ no issue....

Whatever, I'm so tired of it and it is made worse by people who won't budge or even listen to the other side!

Waves, everyone -

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-21, 03:41 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

Was just getting ready to post and a cat suddenly appeared in my lap! That never happens in my office, at least!

Not much sleep last night, so opted for a gentle Qi Gong workout with Marisa Cranfill's Qi Gong Flow for Happy Lungs! She has more woo factor than Lee, but she's very graceful with her flowing movements.

wishiwasinhawaii, yeah definitely YOUR car, YOUR rules, and your "friend" should've heard what you told her. Unfortunately, her mind was made up before she even got in the car! I'm sorry people can be so insensitive, but especially those you think will behave differently. People these days have become wacko's! What a way to put a damper on your day out. I hope you can be good to yourself, because you need some self-love!

liz, enjoy your long weekend!

Sherry, hope you're feeling better day-by-day!

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-21, 08:40 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Still in a major workout slump here....I just haven't been fired up to workout in months now - I still do it b/c it is good for me and afterwards I'm happy I did it - but it is hard to get started.....

Anyway, today was:

Jessica Valent - Spirals and Twists - this was a 30 min workout from her paid site. It was good - as the title indicates - there was a lot of rotation and twisting which is good for the spine. I like Jessica V - although her stuff may not be the most exciting on the planet - her background in PT makes her workouts feel both safe and effective. I should really follow her monthly calendar since my subscription just renewed! She mixes it up - it is not just Pilates - she has some traditional weight work, some HIIT, some Kbell type exercises, etc. and she also includes cardio days in her rotation. Her stuff is also easy enough to modify.

Linda - Pahla's KBell stuff is more Kbell inspired than true Kbell work. I enjoy it for a change of pace.

Also - to all of you who have asked about my DD - she started classes on Monday and I must say, so far so good. She even said that this is the most she has enjoyed school since before H.S. The only negatives is that she is in a Chemistry class that is way beneath her level - and if she wants to be a biology major it is sort of a wasted class as it does not count toward that major. But, w/ her college choice being switched at the last minute she didn't have as many options. She is on the waiting list for the other intro to chem class, but it is a long list and she will probably not get in. I told her not to sweat it - it is still a credit and counts and it can serve as a review. She is also taking a computer sci class which she likes. A freshman seminar (which she calls - how to do college b/c public school failed you*), Spanish and a music theory class. The music theory class was one they put her in to satisfy an art requirement - all the other classes were full and she was intent on dropping it but she said it is a good class and she is going to stay in it. She even pulled out her keyboard and started playing again (she took piano in Middle School). I think she also likes the independence of college vs. High School. She has been going in early b/c the parking for commuters is atrocious but she goes in - gets breakfast and does her schoolwork before class. Overall. I'm relieved - even though it is only one week in she seems happier than she has been in a long while. She even went back to school yesterday for their club fair. She signed up for one of the service clubs and theater - in H.S. she worked stage crew - so she is thinking she can do that in college, too. Anyway -fingers crossed things continue to go in a positive direction.

* as to how public school fails kids - our schools are supposedly so great and wonderful - but my daughter - who took Honors and AP classes NEVER had to write a SINGLE research paper in H.S. NEVER. When she was in private Middle School she did - she still says her 8th grade in private M.S. was more challenging than anything she did in public H.S. It is a shame that kids are just being shuffled through. The AP classes are totally taught to the test so that the school can boast about the high AP test scores. When I went to H.S. I remember being at the library every weekend doing research for papers I had to write for history and English - I even had to write a physics paper! So this seminar is essentially teaching them how to do stuff like that they should have learned in H.S.

Sorry for ranting....too much caffeine i guess!

Donna
Old 08-28-21, 12:47 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Thanks to all for your support about the mask issue with my friend. The whole thing was disappointing, especially since I always thought we were on the same page about mask wearing. We still aren't speaking.

Anyway, today I did a TG Rosalie Brown youtube workout, just for a change of pace. It was a lot tougher than I was expecting, but it was a good workout.

Donna, Glad to hear your DD likes college! Since she's living at home, it's good for her to get involved in activities so she'll meet some other kids. I actually did stage crew when I was in college and it was a 3 credit class. We also built the sets and did the tear down after a play was over. It was a lot of fun and I met a lot of people. My nephew started classes this week. He's a sophomore but this is the first time he's taking in-person classes since they were all online last year due to COVID. Some are still online but I think he has two that are in-person.

I don't know much about how things are done in schools these days since I don't have kids, but my niece who is going to be a junior in HS said COVID really messed everything up and her classes last year were a joke. Do you think that had anything to do with your DD's AP classes being easy or was it that way before?

Pam, Thanks! I'm ok. I went to the beach on my own that day and had a good time.

Waves to Sherry and Liz!
Old 08-28-21, 01:09 PM  
Leonana

No workout again. I’m enjoying my visit with my family and the cooler weather. I’ll be visiting my sister later. She has the beginnings of dementia so it’s always interesting talking to her. She’s 22 years older than me, and 84. I think her daughter will be moving her to her home in Ohio eventually, so I’m visiting while I can.

I feel almost back to normal but still congested. It gets a little better every day. Still really annoying though!

Last I read, my husband’s friend is doing better. He’s still on the ventilator but his oxygen saturation went up and his heart is stable. I understand how frantic his wife must be, but she posted that she thought he wasn’t getting the right care because he was unvaxed. A nurse friend chimed in explaining he was getting good care. I can’t imagine what medical workers have to go through, not only full hospitals but upset families accusing them of less care. The stress must be so high.

wishiwasinhawaii, I’m so sorry about your friend. I would wear a mask in the car if a friend asked. My friend was surprised when I put my mask on in the store and asked me why. I said because of Delta. I think a lot of people are pretending the pandemic is over.

Pam, it’s always nice to have unexpected cat snuggles! Although mine usually show up when I’m trying to do something else lol.

Liz, enjoy your three day weekend! That cold has been making the rounds here too.

Donna, I think things changed when they started testing. They have to teach to the test, and real learning doesn’t happen. Teachers don’t have time for anything else. I have to admit, my dd didn’t do a research paper but she did write essays. She did well in her first English class, so I’m hoping that continues and she can do a college research paper. Tbh, I did a research paper in high school, but my writing was not that good. My daughter is a much better writer than I am. I looked at some of my college writing and cringed!

Because she’s done well in English, my daughter wants to major in English and be a teacher. I think she would have job security, they have a lack of teachers currently.
Old 08-28-21, 08:54 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

I did no formal workout today. Instead DH and I are participating in a statewide scavenger hunt both Sat. and Sun. and getting lots of walking in. There are 128 places to visit and points are awarded at each location. Out of 78 groups so far (as of tonight) DH and I are in 10th place! DH has done most of the work, driving to locations outside of Providence, running the app on his phone for clues at the sites and solving puzzles, taking photos of the points of interest, etc. It's been a chore and I'm beat, ha! Oh and the photos have to be posted to Instagram to have a chance at winning prizes. It would help if we had more people on our "team" so each person could have a role to play, but we took over for another friend of ours who decided to do something else (instead of the scavenger hunt) and she'd already bought tickets. It's a lot of work, so DH is checking out the map tonight so we can optimize our route tomorrow. Fun time here, lol.

Donna, sounds like you got a smart kiddo there! All those AP classes in HS has prepared her well, it seems. Nice that she's happy and really wants to succeed, arriving early to prep, etc. Good for her.

Sherry, I'm sorry to hear about your sisters dementia. I'm glad you can have some time with her before she moves. Every time I talk to my mom on the phone, she seems to forget more and more. She may be going down that road, too! I wanted to be an English teacher when I was in college, too! I had a difficult time deciding on a major and switched a few times. ;-)

Enjoy your weekend, all!

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-21, 09:13 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning I did a longer Pilates w/ Jessica Valent - Full Body Intermediate Pilates

It looks to be quite dreary today - but maybe I'll get out for a walk.

wishiwasinhawaii - I'm so sorry you and your friend haven't patched things up. IMHO, I feel your friend is being unreasonable about the situation. Unfortunately people have drawn their lines in the sand over masks, vaccines, mandates, etc., even at the expense of their relationships with friends and family. While I don't think COVID helped my DD's high school experience at all, they weren't doing any kind of paper writing before COVID either. I think it is the teach to the test mentality. I think overall the teachers she had were good, but they just have no freedom to teach the way they want to - unfortunately. That is why I think private schools are better - there is more freedom for the teachers - but the pay isn't as good and many of the teachers in my DDs private schools ended up going to public school for the money and benefits and also some went to more exclusive private schools. sorry to ramble!

Pam - that sounds like a fun project! Exhausting, but fun!

Sherry - I'm glad you are having a good visit with your family. I'm glad your DH's friend is doing better, hopefully he will make a full recovery. My DD has always been good at English and writing - she scored a perfect score on the ACT English section. She is not as strong in math. That is good that your DD wants to be an English teacher!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
Old 08-30-21, 07:52 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I ended up going for a super long walk w/ DD - I ended the day w/ over 14,000 steps. It is funny that makes my back feel so much better than sitting in a chair all day. Today, unfortunately, it is back to the chair for work.

Today's workout:

Lucy Wyndham Read - Week 5 - Day 1 - 20 Min Interval Jog (I did this as a walk!) and Standing Abs

I also added on Jill Miller - Yoga Tune Up at Home, Day 1, Month 1, Program A

Lucy seems to be putting out weekly playlists which is really nice b/c her channel has so much content it is hard to figure out what to do with it all.

https://www.lwrfitness.com/free-challenges/

I'm not sure how long I will stick with it - but it was good for today!

Hope everyone has a good start to the week.

Donna

Tags
gum surgery, jessica smith get strong, kanopy