Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-31-21, 10:56 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Happy Saturday, Watulans!

cataddict - The decluttering bug is the one bug that should be contagious!

bee - I had to look up albino redwoods. One article said that they are also called "ghost redwoods." I'd love to see one in person.

FoLV - LOL! After a rather disastrous group hike in my early hiking days, I started hiking mostly alone. Yup, I know that isn't a good idea. I took map and compass classes and survival type courses. (This was back in the Stone Age before hiking and GPS apps.) I carried tons of supplies and looked like a pack animal. It worked for me for a long time.

Workouts: Thursday, I did Cathe's Fit Tower: Legs, Glutes & Core for the first time. I liked it! Her Turbo Barre is one of my favorites and this was similar. During the standing part I did most of the moves without touching the bar for balance practice. I don't like kneeling exercises, so I did those lying on the floor. Err, I didn't bother with the core part. It was entertaining to watch whilst I did my own stretching.

Friday was a Team Body Project cardio.

Waves to all!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 01:15 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hi Watulan friends and happy Saturday!

So I finished 2Lazy's Cathe Live rotation with #209 Super Sets. This is a good one! It alternates between upper and lower body with two exercises repeated once. For Chele Fun Friday I did Ladies from the 80s Step by Christina Dorner on YouTube. I've been wanting to try her workouts and I enjoyed this one a lot! She does a bit too much talking to the "live" participants for my taste, particularly since I'm not watching it live, but it's not a deal breaker. I wouldn't necessarily call it advanced, at least until the end when she puts together all the combos. But then again, I've been doing step for many years and it's rare that I see a move that I haven't seen before. I'm really glad that step seems to be coming back. Oh, and here's something really weird. At the end of the workout she looked at her tracker and said "wow, 351 calories!" So I looked at my tracker and it showed that I also burned exactly 351 calories! So how does that happen??? I don't know what type of tracker she uses, but I "thought" that trackers used a variety of factors to calculate calorie burn---like heart rate, age, weight and gender? Well, let's just say that I have to be at least 20 years older and and maybe heavier as well although that's hard to tell. Does anyone know more about this topic??

bee, that is so cool about the albino redwoods! I also didn't know there was such a thing. Don't be envious of my declutter bug. I have so much to do it seems like a drop in a bucket

BabyW, I like Cathe's barre workouts but don't do them often enough. She does a few Lives using the barre that I haven't gotten to yet.

MamaW, I don't think I could jump with both feet on the high step, but I tend to use a wider stance as well so it only works with a regular step. I guess it would depend on the height of the step? I've been using a lower step for my step workouts anyway and it's dimensions are different than a "club" step. And I am randomly decluttering so I don't have any great tips. I'm focusing on paperwork, of which I have a ton. I'm filling shred boxes with old statements, etc. It's going slow.

horusosiris, I've also started the 20 instructors in 20 days "rotation", starting yesterday with Christina Dorner's step. I haven't decided what to do today but it will be weights. Maybe Caroline Girvan who I haven't tried yet? I'm not really trying to do "new to me" instructors but maybe I'll see if I can do that. Or at least instructors I haven't done in a long time since I don't know if there are 20 instructors that I haven't tried that I'm interested in trying.

KateTT, I'm also hoping you get word on surgery coming up soon. The waiting is just so hard!! I understand not wanting to commit to another subscription if you already have other active subscriptions. There's only so much time and if I pay for it I would want to get my money's worth. But you may want to reconsider when Black Friday rolls around as IIRC she has some screaming deals on the downloads and subscriptions.

Kim, blueberries are my absolute favorite. I eat them every single day, fresh during the season, frozen during the off season. I also an a fan of the other berries as well, but blueberries are definitely my berry of choice.

Nathalie, glad you checked in! I worked for a CPA firm for 20+ years and during tax season I was mostly on autopilot when I wasn't at work. I get why you don't feel like doing anything when you get home.

FN1, yes, our cats definitely see a giant lollipop on our foreheads, but willingly so. Even the feral guys outside have us wrapped around their furry paws.

Waves to manleym and Chele!!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 01:59 PM  
manleym

Hi Everyone! Hope all is well!

Horusosiris the Olympics have been great! It was too bad about Simone dropping out, but yay for her for doing what was best for her instead of what everyone expected. I can't even begin to imagine the stress and pressure. I'm glad it's finally being addressed. And have you watched swimming? Amazing races! Caeleb Dressel and Katie Ledecky have been phenomenal! And nice to see some young new comers win.

Cataddict yay for doing Declutter Max! And double YAY for finishing 2 Lazy's Cathe Live rotation! Woot! Woot! How random that both of your trackers were exactly at 351. I don't have a tracker so no input from me, but it would be interesting to see if that happens with anyone else.

Bee how very cool seeing an albino redwood! One of the BEST trips I've ever been on was around that area. A friend married in Napa - some really fancy place - Auberge du Soleil. So another friend and I flew into San Francisco, rented a car, lunched in Sausalito, spent a few days going to different wineries...but my point is that we drove up into the Redwoods as far as we could (I think we had to pay - there was a reason we didn't go further) and they were absolutely magnificent! It was like the Rocky Mountains to me. You are just speechless at their beauty and majesty. Anyway, it was one of the best trips I've ever had. And the nicest wedding I've ever been too. Loved every part of it! Did your hubby catch anything from his fishing trip? We had some of our fish from our Florida trip last night and it was just so good. My hubby would love to live closer to the coast for freshwater fishing. Maybe one day.

If anyone is interested in 20 instructors for 20 days, here's who I've done so far if you would like suggestions:
Cathe, Michelle Dozois, Kat Gates-Buettner, Alo Yoga, Jessica Smith, Tracy Effinger, Body Project, Caroline Girvan, Leah Sarago, Gin Miller, The FIRM, Tracie Long, BurpeeGirl, Christi Taylor, and Sydney Cummings. That leaves me 5. I'm thinking KCM, Kimberly Spreen, Jen Edwards, Travis Eliot, and either Paul Katami, Patrick G, Amy Dixon, maybe Heather R. Oh, AngieFitness has some things out there. Like having some options depending on how I'm feeling.

Workouts:

Tuesday I pulled out The FIRM Cardio Overdrive with Alison. I used to do this one regularly so it was nice to revisit it and see how much I've improved. This used to be a good workout for me, and it still is, but it's more of a recovery workout now than it used to be. And I like Alison in the pink Firms. Allie and Emily's scripts just became too silly in the pink Firms, as well as others. Really like them in earlier Firms though. Oh and Bee, regarding Get Chisel'd, all I have to say is, "Now listen up!" LOL! I think I've cycled through most of the pink Firms but didn't keep many. I can still hear Allie saying, "But I didn't give you many." Not that she said it, it was just so scripted it sounded very fake.

Wednesday I did Tracie Long's Signature Series Vol 1. It wasn't super intense, but just a good workout. I really like all of her mobility work in this one. Then I did Adapted Physical Activity 30 Minute Full Body Daily Mobility Routine on YT, which really stretched out everything - neck to toes.

Thursday I did BurpeeGirl - 5 Min Low Intensity Warm Up for Liss & Miss Workouts + LISS Cardio Workout With Dumbbells Low Intensity Steady State Cardio Lower Body Dumbbell Workout + 30 Min Burn & Tone Cardio Workout Full Body Toning With Light Dumbbells Low To Medium Intensity + 7 Minute Full Body Cool Down Post Workout Stretch. I wore a weighted vest & used 3 lb dumbbells, which was perfect because the moves were fast and I couldn't have done them with 5 lb weights. They were both good workouts and I would try some of her other workouts but I was watching the clock at some points. I think because she doesn't verbally cue or talk in her workouts and I must have needed it that day.

Fun Friday goes to Christi Taylor Totally Hot Cardio, which should be Totally FUN Cardio!
Love this one! I think the reason I like Christi singing is because you can tell she just LOVES working out and what she is doing. And that is contagious! I was having a grand time!

Today I did Sydney Cummings 40 Minute Low Impact Full Body Strength Workout IGNITE - Day 20 + 20 Minute Bodyweight Legs Workout Fit & Strong At Home - Day 1 Bonus. They worked great together and were both good solid workouts. I liked Sydney but won't watch or follow her when I do more of her workouts because she stops sometimes for form pointers and to catch her breath. Not a big deal but it throws me off if I'm watching/following her because then I stop.

Sorry this is so brief. Wanted to check in but don't have much time today.

Hugs and waves everyone!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 10:26 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Happy Sunday, Watulans! Oh, Rabbit, Rabbit!!!

Hope you all are staying fierce and doing well. I finished up my fourth week of my Slim Series rotation and ended with Eoin's Going Big practice. I've really enjoyed this rotation but am itching for something else. However, I'm still a bit skeered to lift anything heavy as I've only lifted up to 8 pounds for the last four plus weeks!

I'm way better than I was, but I've still got some stuff going on in my upper back, and I think to top it off, my snapping outer hip issue is a bursitis thing. I was thinking a cardio/yoga rotation sounded good but I don't know. I'm thinking about tearing off shrink wrap on these Toniques that have been collecting dust, revisiting some pink Firms, some Tracie...oh, I don't know!! Today might be Kick, Punch, and Crunch to start something new off. I wish I could just do Cathe's August rotation but I'm not ready.

Nathalie, what park did your family gather in? Just curious!

Kim, I've had a LOT of just wanting to crash on the couch lately too. Mmmm, berries!!

BabyW, Pyramid Upper after a vaccine? You are fierce!! Oh, I miss Pyramid Upper, my absolute favorite upper body workout!

KateTT, crossing all fingers, toes, and paws in this house for a surgery date.

Horusosiris, you just reminded me I have a ton of Suzanne Bowen's stuff collecting dust too...hmmm...

FN2, please, please, please come over and declutter here. Every time I get some time and consider taking on a project like that, I just get overwhelmed and walk away.

Bee with the walking and yoga...and I just mentioned considering a similar rotation like what happened with Slim Series! I swear I'm not rotation stalking you, it's just that we must think alike, hah!!!

MamaW, I laughed SO HARD at your post about hiking and the screaming lady 10 feet from the trail. That would so be ME. I have zero sense of direction. My dear dead friend used to say I drove by The Force because I certainly never knew where I was going!

Manleym, you're the one who has me thinking about my pink Firms! Which Jen Edwards workouts do you have? I have two I picked up from Mary on her going, going, gone list a while back. I did one of them shortly after being sick and it still felt like an easy recovery workout. I haven't tried the other one yet.

ChelePA, how's the therapy going? Hugs to you!!

Waves to anyone I missed....stay fierce, my friends!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 04:48 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

I'm back again, Watulans, and very curious, because it's been about eight weeks since I have done any long or very intense cardio. I was expecting Kick, Punch, and Crunch to absolutely kill me today, and it didn't, at all. And what's even weirder is I also haven't done any plank work in about the same amount of time due to my spine issues, and yet on the ball roll-ins/pikes at the end of KPC, I felt stronger than I have in ages. What is going on??

Does taking things down a notch for some period of time actually increase your aerobic endurance and I just never knew that? And why, how does that work, if so, does anyone know? And does that work for strength too?

I would chalk it up to maybe just having a 'good' day but I know better because my sleep has been crap lately and I had two cats campaigning for their breakfast who got me up WAY too early this morning. I hope someone has an idea. Over and out for now!!

Old 08-01-21, 07:35 PM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post

Nathalie, what park did your family gather in? Just curious!
We went to the Portneuf park in Quebec. They have many rustic cottages that can be rent. We take the largest one which is for 14 persons.
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 07:45 PM  
lavna

Hi everyone,

Well, I'm joining the camp of the wounded! On Wednesday, I fell and thought I had sprained BOTH my ankles! I went to the ER yesterday and it turns out my left ankle is broken. I have to go back to the hospital tomorrow and see an orthopedic surgeon. I might need an operation. Bummer! What a terrible way to start a vacation. I'm on crutches. I hate not being able to carry anything and having to ask for every small thing. Crutches are also hard on my other ankle (which I hope is not broken). As I'll probably be in a cast for a while, I'm thinking of renting a wheelchair to get around in the house.

So, workouts are out of the question for a while. Maybe, when I'm more accustomed to this new condition (and depending on what I learn tomorrow), I might try seated or floor workouts to maintain some muscle mass.

Stay fierce everyone!
Nathalie
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 11:19 PM  
fanofladyvols

lavna I'm so sorry!! I hope you're able to get a wheelchair.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-21, 08:38 AM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavna View Post
Hi everyone,

Well, I'm joining the camp of the wounded! On Wednesday, I fell and thought I had sprained BOTH my ankles! I went to the ER yesterday and it turns out my left ankle is broken. I have to go back to the hospital tomorrow and see an orthopedic surgeon. I might need an operation. Bummer! What a terrible way to start a vacation. I'm on crutches. I hate not being able to carry anything and having to ask for every small thing. Crutches are also hard on my other ankle (which I hope is not broken). As I'll probably be in a cast for a while, I'm thinking of renting a wheelchair to get around in the house.

So, workouts are out of the question for a while. Maybe, when I'm more accustomed to this new condition (and depending on what I learn tomorrow), I might try seated or floor workouts to maintain some muscle mass.

Stay fierce everyone!
Nathalie
Oh no Nathalie!!! What an injury! Hoping you don’t need surgery. My daughter broke her ankle. Will be casted for eight weeks. Sounds like your other foot definitely needs rest too. If not broken, possibly sprained. I recommend a wheelchair. Sounds like you will need it for recovery. Now that I can sit for longer periods, mine has come in handy. Definitely helps with some independence too. You can’t carry anything with crutches due to safety. Always an argument with my daughter. Haha. I would also suggest a rolling walker especially if you end up non weight bearing on the one foot. So much safer. Plus you can attach a bag to carry smaller items. Please keep us posted. Sending you positive healing vibes and big hugs.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-21, 09:16 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Ouch, Nathalie!! UG, I'm so sorry, and right at the start of vacation which is double UG!!! I too hope you can get a wheelchair. You're in good company with the Watulans because we always bounce back!

BTW, I looked at the park you mentioned and that is just gorgeous!

Hang in there!!

Tags
watulan check-in