Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-20, 05:29 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

LF cycle + strength workouts--Barlates? Spinervals? Others?

I got a spin bike recently and really enjoy workouts that combine cycle and weights. I have Mindy Mylrea's Cycle Strong, KCM's Home Gym Intervals, Mindy's Cycle Circuit, and her Pedal Power and some Spinervals Ultra conditioning on the way.

Does anyone know of other workouts that alternate intervals on the bike and with weights? I did see the one from Linda Wooldridge that's cycle + barre. Has anyone tried that?

I do also use Peloton workouts and have tried a Bootcamp one using the bike instead of tread, and that worked pretty well too!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-20, 02:08 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Hi Pratima,

How about the ole cardio coach with Sean O'Malley? for the "Steady" segments, DIY weight training? or the opposite - do the "steady" segments on the bike, and for the "challenge" segments, do weight training?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-20, 02:11 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
Hi Pratima,

How about the ole cardio coach with Sean O'Malley? for the "Steady" segments, DIY weight training? or the opposite - do the "steady" segments on the bike, and for the "challenge" segments, do weight training?
I might use those just for bike cardio workouts!

For strength I'd like video to be able to follow along though. After 6 months of being home, I need all the distraction I can get!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 08-24-20, 04:34 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

all the ones you mentioned in your initial posts are the ones i would have suggested.

Barry Jay's original Bootcamp Academy (2006) has the treadmill cardio separated from the strength work. i immediately thought of that one, but it's not interspersed the way you're asking about.

if it's the strength segments you want to do with a video, how about doing halfsies with the following instructors/sets?

P90x
Slim Series
Jari Love

for example, in P90x CST, Tony repeats the set right after, back to back. you could do the first set along with Tony as shown, then for the second set, use your bike.

i've tagged this thread with halfsies so that you can see other posts about which workouts can be done halfsie-style.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 08-24-20, 05:05 PM  
fanofladyvols

I was thinking along the same lines as Jeannine...hopping on your spin bike anytime a video you have starts in with cardio?

I have done that with an elliptical but not sure if that works as well with a spin bike?

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-20, 05:19 PM  
Hazel Porter

Spinervals had at least one (if not a couple) cycle+ strength workouts, although the names escape me now. Peleton also has some "arms + intervals" rides
Old 08-24-20, 05:34 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Hazel, I think you mean the Ultra Conditioning? I ordered a couple of those from ebay to try.

Is halfsies the tag that's used for those types of workouts? I hadn't thought of that but it's a good idea!

I did think of Barry's but couldn't remember how it was structured. I have it so will check!

Old 08-24-20, 05:49 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

in the past, halfsies were suggested when people wanted to cut back on the duration of the workout, but not necessarily stop at the 30 min mark. a halfsie generally referred to doing "one set" of a move, and skipping to the next move.

with the Beachbody workouts, there are no "premixes" nor is there a menu with segment/scene indices. instead, the beachbody workouts had a "segment point" which isn't really a chapter but functions like one. again, there is no overall menu in the earlier Beachbody workouts saying "this is the lawnmower section, this is the pull-up section, etc" but instead, people noticed you could skip to the next move using your remote.

Jari's workouts are like this - you can skip to the next move with your remote.

in the Combinations, Rotations forum, there are "chaptering" threads that describe the order of the moves for Beachbody and some for Jari where you can skip to the next move.

Edited to add:
The Combinations forum somehow lacks the chaptering for P90x, but i know it's somewhere in this forum, so i'll try to find it and link it up.

Old 08-25-20, 09:20 AM  
horusosiris

1. KCM's Home Gym Intervals workouts alternate spinning (or any other home exercise cardio equipment) with weight work.

2. SSOD has many workouts that alternate weights and spinning
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-20, 11:06 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I do have the KCM workout and enjoyed it. What's SSOD?

Tags
halfsies, spinning, stationary bike