Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-07-19, 04:06 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
vintage, i remember well your "less tony" predilection.... In fact, i think of you many times when i'm at the menu!! :d after using the videos consistently, i agree with you wholeheartedly about setting the benchmark and i do wonder if part of that is why i'm seeing great results. Honestly, i did sts and did not at all like what i ended up with. It's fascinating to me that after decades of working out and doing a fair bit of reading about fitness that i'm finally starting to look like i work out.
It's a great feeling when we see the results of hard work!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 04:19 PM  
bubbles76

I have P90X, but have not tried a rotation. Tony grates on my nerves. Plus, I cannot do pull ups. I don't feel much when I do the lat pull down alternative. Maybe I'll do P90X after CLX.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 06:54 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
........ After using the videos consistently, I agree with you wholeheartedly about setting the benchmark and I do wonder if part of that is why I'm seeing great results. Honestly, I did STS and did not at all like what I ended up with. It's fascinating to me that after decades of working out and doing a fair bit of reading about fitness that I'm finally starting to look like I work out.
I wish that were the case for me!!! I've repeated many rounds of STS because it seriously rips me out and makes me tiny at the same time. The perfect machine for climbing, which I love I like STS but P90X is definitely more fun. While I did get nice enough results with P90X, it just doesn't get me as lean. However, I think what works for a body can change over time. Maybe I'll revisit it just to find out
Old 09-07-19, 07:00 PM  
pgun3

I wish I could do P90x....too out of shape. I wonder if I will ever be in the shape I was when I was younger. I loved do step and getting out of breath. Now I just feel out of shape and when I am out of breath it's not as fun to me LOL
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 08:53 PM  
Garrie A.

I'm about to finish CLX and after doing a mix of my favorite (and new-to-me) workouts, I'm thinking about giving P90X a try. Could the pull-up variations be done with a Fluidity barre? Even though you would be in a horizontal/supine position. My doorway doesn't allow for pull-ups.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 09:18 PM  
Mickey12

I did a variation of the pull-ups using my treadmill handle. I layer down on the treadmill with my head under the handlebars and pulled myself up. If the fluidity bar is stable I think you could do the same thing.
Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 07:45 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
wishiwashi, I'm 57. The thing I really like about P90X, that surprises me perhaps most of all, is that it seems so accessible. He's very encouraging with all the "do your best" talk -- so, I do what I can and I have seen my numbers go up, and yes, I think it helps that I take an extra day or two off here and there. If you like it, try it with a new attitude of doing what you can do without pushing yourself too much because I bet it's still going to be a great workout that you can advance as you go.
I'll be 53 very soon. Thanks for the encouragement! I'll have to give it a try this fall. I'm in the middle of another rotation that I will finish in a couple of weeks so maybe after that. Have you been eating a strict diet?
Old 09-08-19, 10:47 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie A. View Post
I Could the pull-up variations be done with a Fluidity barre? Even though you would be in a horizontal/supine position. My doorway doesn't allow for pull-ups.
YES, I've done it with a Fluidity barre. For my two full P90X rotations I had a pull-up bar in the basement, but then we finished the basement and I moved to my workout room and used Fluidity for my halfsies rotation. I can't remember whether all the variations worked that way but I can't see why not. I needed assistance anyway (used Iron Woody bands in the basement) so Fluidity pull-ups weren't too easy for me - and if they're easy for you, then just do more; the P90X pull-up sets are usually AMRAP if I recall correctly.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 12:30 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie A. View Post
I'm about to finish CLX and after doing a mix of my favorite (and new-to-me) workouts, I'm thinking about giving P90X a try. Could the pull-up variations be done with a Fluidity barre? Even though you would be in a horizontal/supine position. My doorway doesn't allow for pull-ups.
Ah, I should have mentioned this..... Bubbles, I'm looking at you here, too, but in spite of the thread teaching about multiple quotes, I can't figure out how to do it! Yes, I use a fluidity bar for the pull-ups portion -- there's no way I could do regular pull-ups at this point. But those ones on the fluidity are clearly doing something for me. And yes, it is AMRAP. And it turns out chin-ups really bother my right elbow, so I tend to grab weights and do rows when it's chin-ups. I'm also mostly doing pushups from my knees these days and there was a time in my life when I did 100 regular pushups.

Taiga, that's interesting about STS vs. P90X and the two of us having opposite results. I have wondered if maybe I could do the first or maybe even first and second rounds of STS and have better results than all three mesos but honestly I'm not sure I can handle all of Cathe's reps reps reps anymore.

Wishy, you're welcome -- feel free to check back with me once you start if you decide to. As for diet -- I fluctuate -- I've had weeks where I've been strict and it's not been difficult for me (when sometimes in the past when I do more weight stuff I do tend to feel hungry) but the last week or two has not been pretty in the food department. I need to get more disciplined again. But, that is sort of my pattern for my whole life so I don't think the food piece has made up much of the difference. Hopefully that makes sense.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 01:04 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I've had P90X for years, but I confess that the only workouts I have done with any consistency are YogaX, X Stretch, and CardioX. If I were ever to do a P90X rotation, I'd do halfsies at the gym for strength, and cardio and yoga at home.

X Stretch is one of my favorite stretch routines EVAH!!!

ITA with the comments that said P90X really set the standard for home workout programs.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halfsies, p90x