Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-19, 12:41 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

P90X Way Late to the Party

I bought P90X years ago and tried a few workouts here and there but..... put it aside and never really "got my money's worth". Well, I have no idea what possessed me to do this, but I started the classic rotation on July 21 and I've stuck with it. I'm in the sixth week now, so I'm a little behind -- there are sometimes my schedule does not allow me time for a P90X workout or my friends want to walk, or whatever -- I'm not sweating that! I'm just methodically going through it and you know what? I'm seeing more muscle definition in my arms than I ever got with Cathe. I always thought Cathe had too many reps -- just too much, and I would feel my arms get bigger in one big blob. I don't know if it's all the stretching Tony adds in, or the yoga (and I've been doing yoga about two times a week because I go to a live class once a week most weeks) or what, but it seems to be some magic for me.

I really liked KateTT's thread about bodyweight stuff and I think I'm going to fold that into the mix somehow -- I haven't really determined how quite yet, but at Mary's sale I acquired Plyoga and Evolution 20 and I bought a couple of Mark Lauren things on the amazon sale.

So, share with me some Tony love, since I missed out on it the first time around. Has anyone stuck with it (on and off) over the years? I wonder if I can do that or if I'll just get sick of it. So far I have no signs of getting sick of it.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 04:29 PM  
Taiga

When P90X first came out, I did several rounds over the next few years. I never really grew tired of it but other stuff came along and I haven't revisited it. I always planned to get back to it though and just recently considered it for a winter rotation. I did do several rounds of P90X2 and a bit of P90X3 (my least favorite "X" but still good).

I had good results with P90X. However, I had the best results with STS/walking. I got seriously ripped with STS. I had been using Cathe for years but none of her other programs did that for me. All in all, I think I get some type of benefit from most of the programs I do so I just keep mixing it up for variety. Lately, I love TRX, sandbag and Pilates reformer workouts!
Old 09-06-19, 04:39 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

When P90X came out, it didn't sound like anything I would like. My niece has it and I borrowed it from her to try out. I'm so glad I did. I purchased my own set on a Black Friday a few years ago and did a rotation. My back has never been as strong as when I did it and I got a lot better at pushups, too. Plyometrics is a favorite that I still pull out.

Someday, I hope to do another rotation. And, I'm one that think Tony is funny!

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 05:07 PM  
IceQueen07

I did it years ago and really liked my results. I ended up getting rid of it and regret it now. Trying to trade and/or may buy from Ebay again because I want to do another rotation. I really wish the workouts were shorter. I tried P90X3, but it was not the same.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 08:03 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Does anyone remember the halfsies P90X rotation? It's described in this thread: Question about P90X

It might be the solution for any of you wanting to do P90X but are short on time.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 08:17 PM  
laurajhawk

I've done two full rotations, part of a rotation of halfsies, and one or two other modified ones. I'd like to get back to it, but I really think part of the magic was the full hour a day. Maybe after I retire?

I'm doing LIIFT4 now and it's shorter but I get some of the same "vibe" from it as from P90X - the gym setting, the camaraderie, the big weights.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 10:27 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Thanks for chiming in -- it's always fun to hear others' experiences. I remember hearing about the halfsies, but had forgotten it -- I'll have to keep that in mind. So far if time is an issue for me I just skip that day -- do something else -- and get back to it when I have the time and fortunately I haven't had to skip too many days.

I'll have to check out LIIFT4. In a few years, maybe I'll start a late to the party thread about that.
Old 09-07-19, 07:26 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I first did P90X in 2009. Hard to believe that was 10 years ago! I've done rounds of it over the years but now that I'm in my 50's, it's just too much for me. I tried to do a round about a year ago and just felt too 'beat up' and had to stop. I wish Tony would come out with something new that is similar to the original.

I think I tried the halfsies a few years ago but didn't stick with it. It's great that you've been skipping days and are still seeing results. I may have to try that. Maybe I'd feel less beat up if I took rest days now that I'm not 40 anymore, LOL.

I wish LIIFT4 was on DVD. I have no interest in their streaming platform.
Old 09-07-19, 10:04 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I've never done a P90X rotation, but like some of the weight workouts. (DH has done the full P90X rotation probably 4 times.)

I think the series is still the benchmark for a great, comprehensive rotation. Tony does proper warm-ups and cool-downs, making the tough workouts safer, IMHO.

I do get tired of Tony drooling over Dreya. And, am eternally grateful for the "Less Tony" option.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 01:32 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

wishiwashi, I'm 57. The thing I really like about P90X, that surprises me perhaps most of all, is that it seems so accessible. He's very encouraging with all the "do your best" talk -- so, I do what I can and I have seen my numbers go up, and yes, I think it helps that I take an extra day or two off here and there. If you like it, try it with a new attitude of doing what you can do without pushing yourself too much because I bet it's still going to be a great workout that you can advance as you go.

Vintage, I remember well your "less Tony" predilection.... in fact, I think of you many times when I'm at the menu!! After using the videos consistently, I agree with you wholeheartedly about setting the benchmark and I do wonder if part of that is why I'm seeing great results. Honestly, I did STS and did not at all like what I ended up with. It's fascinating to me that after decades of working out and doing a fair bit of reading about fitness that I'm finally starting to look like I work out.

Tags
halfsies, p90x