Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-25-15, 05:50 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
So how would you compare Barre3 to SBF? Do you like one over the other and if so why?
I did SBF for over a year and switched to barre3 due to a nagging injury. Barre3 literally healed my body. My hips no longer ache when I get up after sitting and my achy low back/QL area is pain free, unless I do something silly. The reason for this, for me, is that barre3 takes a therapeutic approach to working the core and does so in every workout. Suzanne is more traditional C-curve ab stuff and she doesn't believe in working your abs that much.

Every barre3 workout is total body; SBF is more parts and targets. SBF doesn't have much of a cardio effect for me while barre3 is like an Ellen Barrett type philosophy-cardio, stretch, and strength in each workout. Barre3 focuses on a fusion of yoga, barre, Pilates, PT exercises. They use upper lower combo work more than Suzanne does. SBF is pretty much a barre type genre that uses a neutral spinal alignment (barre3 works in neutral as well).

I like barre3 better just because of how therapeutic it is-as well as how it gives me everything I need in one go. It really depends on what you like and are looking for as they are both great.
Old 06-25-15, 06:06 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I Just finished a month of SBF, and now I'm back with Barre3. I couldn't resist the free 15 day offer! I have been pretty much alternating them the past few months. Today I did Studio Strength, and it was tough! Great workout! Here is my likes about both workouts:
Barre3:
Full body workout
Yoga & Pilates combined!
Core ball which I love!
Barre3 App I have this on my IPad, and I love it! Love the 10 minute on the go workouts!

SBF:
I love Suzanne's style of instruction!
Even though I do love full body workouts, I also appreciate Suzanne's short target workouts. I often alternate between upper and lower body each day, and will add on a short cardio or stretch workout.
Love the variety of workouts that she offers!

I can't really think of anything that I don't like about either website. I just have a hard time deciding which one I want to subscribe to, lol!
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-15, 06:11 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Cheri- I just read your post. You are very specific on the differences between both methods and absolutely correct!
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-15, 10:30 PM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo205 View Post
Neatski, what weights do you use for Studio Strength?

Studio to Go sounds great for travel. Thanks so much for all the recs.

ETA:
Any recs for Barre 3 workouts with the best butt, abs/core, back, back of arms, inner thigh focus? Does it exist in one workout?
I use 3 lbs. There is no way I could do that workout- or most other Barre3 workouts- with higher weight. Sometimes I use no weights at all, and I find that I work even harder without props!

As Cheri said, all of the workouts work everything, but Mind Body Balance and Studio Fit are two that come to mind that have more intensive seat sections. interval Strength has a long combo and seat section that I also find slays my glutes.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-15, 12:42 AM  
fatkat555

Cheri and Sherry - Thank you both for the insights into both methods. I'm very curious about Barre3. It sounds like I'd like it very much!

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-15, 07:08 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post

As Cheri said, all of the workouts work everything, but Mind Body Balance and Studio Fit are two that come to mind that have more intensive seat sections. interval Strength has a long combo and seat section that I also find slays my glutes.
Definitely Studio Fit. I did that recently and called it Death by the Ball. It adds a different dimension to glute work. I also find the second Standing Slim to hit the glutes quite well. I did Studio Power yesterday and my glutes are a bit toasty today due to the incline carousel and fold-over work.
Old 06-26-15, 07:09 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
Cheri and Sherry - Thank you both for the insights into both methods. I'm very curious about Barre3. It sounds like I'd like it very much!
They have a 15 day free trial to check it out.

barre3 free trial
Old 06-26-15, 10:32 AM  
cherimac

Just a couple of other thoughts about back body work. In carousel horse and sumo, you are to be working deeply through the heels. Pressing them into the ground. In narrow athletic V, you are to press the heels together like you are squeezing a dollar bill between them. In bridge, the knees are to have the feeling of pressing back toward the seat. That all turns the glutes on in what are generally more quad intensive exercises.
Old 06-26-15, 11:11 AM  
CHAPLYN61

Question, if I already own the Prevention set and the QVC set, does the streaming offer something different, or would it be a duplication to get the streaming too?
Old 06-26-15, 11:21 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPLYN61 View Post
Question, if I already own the Prevention set and the QVC set, does the streaming offer something different, or would it be a duplication to get the streaming too?
I feel like I am "talking" a lot on the thread. I think the streaming is so much better than the DVDs. The 28 to Great set DVDs are all on the streaming site; the LYLB DVDs aren't. But there is so much variety and the workouts are just better. To decide, make use of the 15 day free trial and check it out for yourself.

Tags
barre3, barre3 descriptions, momentum