Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-15, 11:28 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thumbs up Revisiting P90X: Chest & Back

Yesterday, I felt like doing a chest and back video. I suddenly thought about P90X. I've never completed a P90X rotation, but I like some of the strength workouts. (DH has completed the rotation numerous times.)

I bought the set when it first came out. (I even have the autographed version. Lucky me. ) The first time I tried C&B, I didn't realize that the whole thing would be repeated. I was fried and said, "Whaaaa???" I don't think I ever did it again.

This time I was prepared and took it easier for the first round and harder for the second round. I used a band over our squat cage for the pull-ups and alternated push-ups and assorted presses and flyes for chest.

I enjoyed the workout. The thing I like best about P90X is that there are proper warmups and cool-downs.

I'm not crazy about Tony. I met him in person a few year ago and he wasn't exactly gracious. But, I ignored that and had a great time.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 01:14 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Well I don't have the set, but borrowed it a few years ago and couldn't get past all the push-ups and pulling moves.

I have nowhere to anchor the band in the winter (tried the door and broke a hinge) but I can anchor it to a tree outside in the summer. However, I decided it just wasn't my kind of chest and back workout, but more power to you if you got benefit from it.
Old 06-10-15, 01:57 PM  
mspina

That was my favorite P90X workout! Haven't done it in ages, but I'm sure I would still love it.

I'm surprised your meeting with Tony didn't go well. He's a GREAT person. Very caring and sincere - which REALLY surprised me. I am good friends with Susan Lucy who regularly travels with him to bases to lead workouts (she's in P90X3) and she also confirms that he's truly an amazing person.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 02:24 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

It's so great to revisit an old workout!! My fave for chest and back is Cathe's gym style. I'm going to take a tour down memory lane one of these days and pull out all my oldies and see how I feel about them years later. It's so interesting how differently you can feel about a workout at a different season of life.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 03:24 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

I still love P90X. I did Back and Bis today and I was not disappointed.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 03:40 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina View Post
That was my favorite P90X workout! Haven't done it in ages, but I'm sure I would still love it.

I'm surprised your meeting with Tony didn't go well. He's a GREAT person. Very caring and sincere - which REALLY surprised me. I am good friends with Susan Lucy who regularly travels with him to bases to lead workouts (she's in P90X3) and she also confirms that he's truly an amazing person.
It was at a fitness convention. It was later in the day and maybe he was tired. I asked for a photo with him and he was not nice about it. We both looked like crap in the pic, so I ended up deleting it.

I still think he should have had a little more respect for my gray hairs!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 06-10-15, 03:43 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
It's so great to revisit an old workout!! My fave for chest and back is Cathe's gym style. I'm going to take a tour down memory lane one of these days and pull out all my oldies and see how I feel about them years later. It's so interesting how differently you can feel about a workout at a different season of life.
We have a "Vintage Dustbunny" check-in for when folks re-visit older workouts:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=201539

Drop in any time!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 06-10-15, 03:52 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

P90X was the first DVD rotation I ever did, even though I was late to the party since I didn't start doing it until 2009. It's too intense for me now and I prefer P90X3, but I have been considering doing a P90X halfsies rotation one of these days. I wonder what kind of results I'd get only doing a half hour of an hour workout?
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door anchor, halfsies, p90x, tony horton