Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-03-14, 12:23 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
Ireid, it seems like you didn't enjoy the class at all? The 50 snatches is a big turn off for me, I not even can't do a properly one yet
Sweet:
I don't remember not enjoying it. It was just too far for me to go on a regular basis. Actually I think I may have done a private lesson with her. It was so long ago I don't remember. Eibhinn, I think she was a decent teacher I just won't buy a DVD with all those snatches. It is a difficult move for me-for some reason I have a hard time with the down swing. I went to a workshop with Neghar Fonooni just on the snatch and pullups and the snatch became easier for me but the downswing is still awkward for me. I need more practice probably under the supervision of a trained coach. And like I said I can't swing kettlebells right now or do anything that involves torso flexion. That would include cleans and snatches.

Last edited by lreidgreen; 05-03-14 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Clarified some statements
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-14, 12:46 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Oh man, I'm so tempted to get this.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-14, 01:20 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castella View Post
I can also do 50 pushups, but not all at once. I truly loathe pushups, and find it easier to endure the torture in small doses that I can almost pretend aren't happening. So I hope this workout isn't just pushups and snatches. Grip strength makes me think the dreaded pullup might be on tap.
Same here. But, I'd probably have to drop to my knees at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
I don't find snatches terribly difficult, and feel like I'm a weirdo because of it. I know I'd be tired if I did fifty snatches, but it still sounds completely doable (not so much 50 push-ups). I actually find high pulls WAY more awkward and difficult. It makes me wonder if I'm doing everything wrong or something.
Eibhinn, I usually sub snatches for high pulls (thanks to a suggestion I got on here a while ago), I feel more confortable doing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
Snatches are intimidating for someone new to kettlebells, but once you get them they're a piece of cake. Form is everything when you're learning, so you shouldn't push past your ability or exerience level. Practice with some good instructional dvds, and the snatch will become a natural movement.

Pam
I agree, I feel intimidated, spec. with the size of the 8kg competition kettlebell (which is what I'm using). I really hope that with some good practice it will come naturally at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bot View Post
I wonder if it could be a dvd-r version.
I got Newport, Clinic and Santa Monica last December and they were all pressed, but Santa Monica picture quality seems not as good as the original. Maybe it'd be good to email them and ask before buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macska View Post
I knew you were going to say this!!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-14, 02:31 PM  
bee1forfitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by macska View Post
Quote:
I knew you were going to say this!!
I was getting really to say that to LOL
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 02:10 PM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Eibhinn, I usually sub snatches for high pulls (thanks to a suggestion I got on here a while ago), I feel more confortable doing them.
All of the high pulls are what kept me from finishing a Skogg rotation, but I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me until fairly recently to just do snatches. I doubt I'd be able to keep the same pace, but I just find high pulls really awkward and torque-y on my shoulders - it just feels like stopping before the motion is actually complete so that I'm just taking all of this force into my shoulder at a weird angle. Good to hear someone else finds snatches more comfortable than high pulls and has successfully subbed them.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 02:46 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
All of the high pulls are what kept me from finishing a Skogg rotation, but I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me until fairly recently to just do snatches. I doubt I'd be able to keep the same pace, but I just find high pulls really awkward and torque-y on my shoulders - it just feels like stopping before the motion is actually complete so that I'm just taking all of this force into my shoulder at a weird angle. Good to hear someone else finds snatches more comfortable than high pulls and has successfully subbed them.
Eibhinn, what I meant is that when there are snatches in a workout and usually do high pulls instead, as I'm not good with snatches yet. (English is not my first language, so maybe I wrote it in the opposite sense before) One of the reason I didn't buy the Skogg set a while ago it was because I knew there were so many snatches in there. About the high pulls I've read some people don't do it "too high" and feel less awkward doing them that way.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 07:35 AM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

If anyone is still interested in this, I received a coupon code from AOS this morning that is good for videos, books, and music: DDDD50

Kettlebell Sport comes to $12 and change for the download.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 08:06 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
"The “Art Of Strength: Kettlebell Sport” DVD is designed by Anthony Diluglio and Valerie Pawlowski as a work along tool for the beginner or advanced person to build efficiency in kettlebell training. Valerie Pawlowski, Owner of Punch Kettlebell Gym New Jersey, Co-Owner of Art Of Strength New Jersey, is ranked CMS (Candidate for Master of Sport) in Kettlebell Sport, has competed in seven championship competitions and is certified as a Kettlebell Sport Coach with IKSFA, International Kettlebell Sport and Fitness Academy and the AKA, American Kettlebell Alliance. Valerie is a proud member of AKA, in partnership, working strongly towards efforts of broadening the participation in Kettlebell Sport while striving to create solid organizational and unified efforts with all countries, clubs and athletes for Kettlebell Sport to one day be included as an Olympic event. Training for the sport side of kettlebell lifting is much different then the actual sport is. Your goal being efficiency, our goal is to give you the grip strength to hold on longer, the stamina to last longer and conditioning to utilize your body’s movements properly. That’s what makes Kettlebell Sport Training Volume 1, “Val’s 50/50” the ultimate workout and tutorial for sport or strength in kettlebell training. The progression in “Val’s 50/50” of working up towards completing the rounds of 50 Push ups and 50 Snatches provides a challenging goal. “Val’s 50/50” builds strength paced with speed, for completing an intense effort towards achieving lifting volume which kettlebell sport demands. Train using Val’s 50/50 workout and keep getting stronger!"

http://www.artofstrength.com/product...ining-dvd.html
I'm kind of confused, what exactly is this DVD?

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 08:22 AM  
Rhonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL View Post
If anyone is still interested in this, I received a coupon code from AOS this morning that is good for videos, books, and music: DDDD50

Kettlebell Sport comes to $12 and change for the download.
I tried the code and it doesn't work for me. I put DVDs in my card and says it doesn't apply to anything. When you say videos, is it for DVDs or the streaming?

Thanks
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 09:03 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
I tried the code and it doesn't work for me. I put DVDs in my card and says it doesn't apply to anything. When you say videos, is it for DVDs or the streaming?

Thanks
It worked for me with the downloads. I didn't bite yet because I'm not sure exactly what this is.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
art of stength, kettlebell sport training