Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-03-13, 02:09 AM  
Lizzo
VF Supporter

The "DVDs/videos don't work" mentality

Inspired by Judy's thread, it got me thinking about the dismissive attitude that still prevails today towards at-home fitness: "videos don't work." Where does this mentality come from? Is the bias that tainted video fitness in previous decades still prevalent today?

P.S. I had a whole dissertation ready on why I think video fitness still gets dismissed even today, but I would rather hear your personal opinions and experiences versus reading my windbag musings.

http://musingsofafitnessjunkie.blogspot.com
Lizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 02:36 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

one thing that has changed in the last 12 years is that when beachbody came on the scene, it opened people up to video workouts, especially men.

but it still prevails - what you said - that the majority of people probably think going to the gym is still the only way to exercise.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 03:04 AM  
juberann

And what's funny about that is, just recently, I went back to the gym for a few weeks on a "complimentary" pass and what I seen there were alot of people wasting alot of time, the classes were unorganized and the instructors were boring.......women going out of their way to avoid picking up the weights and not being encouraged to do so, ALOT of show boating and showing off, the place was a bit of a meat market. I know not all gyms are like this and I am in no way putting down people that go to the gym, it's a personal choice but, for me, I remembered why I quit going in the first place. Most of the people I seen standing around or mindlessly pedaling away on a stationary bike would be getting a better, more effective workout if they had stayed home and put in a video.
I honestly do not know where that mentality comes from but I do know many people that say video exercise doesn't work cannot tell you the last time they ever did one and, in most cases, never have. At least that has been my experience. There isn't a person alive who can convince me that videos don't work. However, that being said, after my recent experience, I won't be loaning out any of my videos to prove them wrong......they will have to go buy their own
Old 08-03-13, 03:58 AM  
PhyllisG

I think Judy is right--a lot of wasted time and mindless pedaling. People in general think videos are "easy" and then there is the group who are afraid of P90X the only home video system they know about. But BB has managed to introduce a lot of people to working out at home. I think if more knew about VF where they can get so much encouragement, they might change their minds.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 05:00 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I think a lot of people struggle with motivation at home. Some assume, since I can't do it, I'm sure others can't, too. In general many people just see life through their own lens and can't imagine it any other way.

I will say I do find live barre classes to be uniquely effective over videos. I certainly get a great workout from my videos, but there is something about the live class environment... This presence of other exerciser, an instructor, form adjustments... I think I get a little more out of a live class than I do from an average video session at home.

Lizzo, I'd love to hear what you think!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 05:18 AM  
topfitmama

I agree with Nuggie's Auntie.
I gave my Cindy Crawford and Ellen MacPherson workouts to my SIL when she wanted to lose weight. She started out using them with another SIL, but both struggled with motivation and ended up going to the gym. They passed the DVDs onto someone else who was loving them the last time they saw her

I LOVE my exercise DVDs because I feel free to do things I wouldn't want to do in a room surrounded by other people. I can exercise in whatever I have to wear, however old, stained or holey it may be. I can sweat to my heart's content without worrying that someone else might think I sweat too much, I don't have to worry about someone else's bacteria on dumbells and other equipment... on and on.
I need motivation to eat right, not to exercise!

I wish I could go to some live barre and pilates classes (P57, Tracey Mallett). There are instructions that I don't always understand, and I know I could use some manual positioning now and then.

ETA: My BILs don't think that I do "real exercise". Perhaps I should get them up at 6 am to do a round of P57 together next time they visit
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 05:49 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Videos have always held my interest...I personally find the gym boring. Does the gym work for people, sure I suppose. But videos work too...it just a matter of finding out what works for you. Thankfully there is a wide variety to choose from!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 06:19 AM  
froggy

Funny thing is there is a gym near me that uses workout videos. You go into a room and choose your "class", zumba, yoga, step, etc, and a video workout plays. Wish I could remember the name. I'll try to find it and update this post. I think it might be Anytime Fitness.

<edit> It is select Anytime Fitness locations that does this. You make your selection like you would at a jukebox and the video plays on a large screen.

I think the point is that it's the person doing the work that works not the instruction or media by which it is delivered. One of the things I cant stand about Tracy Anderson is that she takes full credit for designing your body as if she did it with her own hands. Compare that to Terri of the ART method who immediately gives you, the exerciser, all the credit.

I know several people who do p90x but dont also have a whole library of videos to do when they get bored and need a change. I dont really know if the world at large is warming up to workout videos in general or just beachbody. At least someone at Anytime knows the value of workout videos. I'm thinking of taking them up on their 14 day free pass offer to try the system. I'm curious about what videos they have.

After saying all that, I wanted to add that I do detect an energy in live classes that changes the workout vs doing the same workout at home. I have also had off and on gym memberships over the years because of it and occasionally find myself wanting a live class. I currently get this fix through my Saturday morning walk/run on a crowded trail. I've never experienced this sensation from lifting weights at home vs. lifting at the gym, nor yoga or pilates...only cardio.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 06:40 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I think a lot of people's image of videos is older, Jane Fonda-type aerobics*. Looks like a lot of jumping around, and how could that be effective? I agree that people who say home workouts don't work fall into a few categories:

(1) haven't tried videos

(2) don't have a friend or relative who's used them successfully

(3) haven't given the same good-faith effort to home/video workouts as they have to gym workouts

My DH knows that videos wouldn't work for him, because he doesn't have the personal motivation to do them, but he's seen the physical changes in me and would never say they're not effective. I will always remember his expression - - when I showed him Cathe's Pure Strength chest/shoulders/triceps workout, because he'd expressed a mild interest in doing one of my upper-body strength tapes.

[*that original JF tape was a kick-butt workout, too!]
Old 08-03-13, 07:02 AM  
Sara1000

NOTHING works unless YOU work. Videos give you SO many options but we all know owning them is not the same as doing them. Pushing play doesn't work unless you make the commitment and DO it day after day. Some people need another real live person involved - a trainer, a workout buddy, a gym class.

Which is where message boards, especially this one can make all the difference. We come here for knowledge, inspiration, motivation. For me, VF is a necessary component in my exercise life. I'm not sure if workout videos would have worked for me without you guys!
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gym membership, ymca