Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-13, 09:20 AM  
boakley
VF Supporter

Blog Article: Is Being Really Lean Really Worth it?

http://mollygalbraith.com/2013/07/is...ally-worth-it/

I see it as a nice reality check. Nothing new, but I liked it. I originally saw it via Spark People.

Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-13, 09:48 AM  
gladgirl

Thanks for posting...
Just shows we are all different, with different goals, etc.
I like the way she ended...
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-13, 01:19 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

The thing I always come back to in the end, is, how long can you keep it up? Even if you are willing to make all of the sacrifices, eventually you will age, you will start to sag, you just can't keep it up. Then how do you feel about yourself?

I found it interesting that she wasn't happy when she was pushing heavy weight either, so it wasn't just about looking or being lean. It makes you wonder what we are really looking for when we work so hard to look good.
Old 08-02-13, 01:22 PM  
cpcathy

Life is short, you have to live a little, I say.

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-13, 01:34 PM  
3ks

What a wonderful article. Thanks for posting it. I sent it to my dd to discuss with her. This is exactly the way I have brought her up. We exercise for fitness and feeling good.
Old 08-02-13, 01:49 PM  
marya

Along these lines, I include a quote from the following article http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...paris/278162/:

"Paris requires effort. There are stairs everywhere and the stairs are all but mandatory. In America the stairs are off to the side, and the elevator is prominent. Often, it's the reverse here -- the stairs are out front and often beautifully wrought. It almost feels sinful to take an elevator. There's a strong culture of pedestrianism. The streets belong to the people, and that encourages walking. On a normal day, I can end up walking for an hour or more. There's so much to see. And those who don't walk use the public bike share...

"Despite all the extra effort, I find that I consume less energy. I don't know that I eat any "healthier" in the sense of what "health" tends to mean back home. There are fat and carbs all around me. There's butter in most of the dishes. It's nothing see a Parisian walking the street while inhaling a long baguette. Bread is served with every meal, but oddly enough, without butter, which leads me to believe that they think of butter as something to be put in things, not on them.

"I eat my fries with mayonnaise. I now find ketchup to be too sweet. Without exception I eat dessert -- preferably something with chocolate. I eat a panini or a sandwich every day, but I don't eat any chips. You can find junk-food here, but you have to be looking for it. I don't really order out. I've stopped drinking Diet Coke. In general I eat a lot less, and I drink a lot more -- a half a bottle of wine every night. But I don't think I've been drunk once since I've been here. I feel a lot better--more energy, lighter on my feet, a clearer head.

"Before I came here, so many people told me, "There are no fat people in Paris." But I think this misses something more telling. There are "no" stunningly athletic people either. There just doesn't seem to be much gusto for spending two hours in the gym here. The people don't seem very prone to our extremes. And they are not, to my eyes, particularly thin. They look like how I remember people looking in 1983. I suspect they look this way because of some things that strike me -- the constant movement, the diet, the natural discomfort -- are part of their culture.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-13, 02:26 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I like your observations, Marya.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-13, 02:34 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Marya's post was a direct quote from the article she mentioned. But she probably shares the writer's observations.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 01:35 AM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Marya's post was a direct quote from the article she mentioned. But she probably shares the writer's observations.
I wish they WERE mine!
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 02:12 AM  
RedPanda

Very thought-provoking. Thanks for posting, Beth - and I love your new avatar! You look so happy and relaxed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
I found it interesting that she wasn't happy when she was pushing heavy weight either, so it wasn't just about looking or being lean. It makes you wonder what we are really looking for when we work so hard to look good.
Exactly.

Tags
molly galbraith