Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-13, 09:42 AM  
Whimzee

Slow and Easy Kickbox Workout?

Unfortunately, I've been off the exercise wagon for a while and feeling stiff and sluggish. UGH! I need to jump back in easy. Is there such a thing as a slow and controlled kickbox workout that won't wipe me out?

Much thanks for your suggestions!
Whimzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 09:47 AM  
cherimac

Violet Zaki's Killer Kicks. Not killer at all.
Old 04-26-13, 09:50 AM  
JENILU

I absolutely LOVE Stephanie Huckabee's WW Punch for this!! Level 1 is very doable. (Also, Powerfit Plus is supposed to be sort of a kickboxing workouts, but it is probably more half and half with aerobicy stuff)
Chris Freytag has a beginners 10 minute KB workouts on her Shortcuts to big Weightloss DVD (She also has "Kickstart Your Metabolism" but i think its a few steps more intense than Shortcuts)
Oh, and this may not be what your looking for at all but it helped me, is Leslie Sansone's Walk and kick.
Those are some I can think of off the top of my head.
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 10:26 AM  
Jewels5

I enjoy Cathe's MMA Kickbox workout for an easier kickboxing workout. You can also skip the drills if you don't want your heart rate to get up too high, or do the workout by chapters. I also like the low impact premix from her Kickmax workout. Also, there is Leslie's Punch Up Your Walk that is similar to a kickboxing workout.

And speaking of Leslie, you might like her Punch Up Your Walk workout. I think it is out of print, but you might be able to trade for it.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 11:00 AM  
violingal3

Ying Yang Fusion (re-released Cross Training for Fitness) with Jessica Smith and Guillermo Gomez is a nice refreshing workout that's not killer.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 11:28 AM  
BigBadBetty

I am beginning-intermediate level. Jessica Smith's Kick-Butt Kickboxing YouTube workout might work for you. It's free so it's a no lose situation.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 11:47 AM  
PrairieGem

Caribbean Workout Kickboxing might fit the bill--it's four 20-minute programs from the TV series. I'll pop this one in if I feel the need to limber up but not work out too hard. You'll have to get it used, but Amazon Marketplace has it for $3.00.

Do you have the original Tae-Bo/Basic? That one moves at a nice, controlled pace, but it's probably a better workout than the Caribbean ones. (DH used it as a beginning exerciser.) I think it's only on VHS, though.
Old 04-26-13, 11:49 AM  
CharM

I'll second the Jessica recommendation. It's slow, controlled, and easy to follow. There are some jumping jacks and squat jumps, but you can always modify when necessary.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 12:14 PM  
JENILU

As usual, I am way below the level others think is basic/slow/beginner. Lol, Oh well. If you are up to the level of some of these others, you might like Michale olajide's system that sells at Amazon for 19.99? It is a whole system, but I was told it may be a little too much for me- so it my be right up your alley! Good luck!
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 12:40 PM  
acey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels5 View Post
I enjoy Cathe's MMA Kickbox workout for an easier kickboxing workout. You can also skip the drills if you don't want your heart rate to get up too high, or do the workout by chapters. I also like the low impact premix from her Kickmax workout.
I just did this one the other day. I'd forgotten how low-key the actual combinations were -- but man, the drills can be pretty intense. I agree, if you skip the drills, you get a nice 30-minute kickbox workout (and can do the 10-15 minute leg exercises if you like; I don't think those are that intense).

Denise Austin also had a couple of old kickbox workouts. Don't know if they were reproduced in DVD, but she's always good for low-intermediate levels.

ETA - and there was also the George Foreman/Petra Kolber boxing workouts. Those are beginner level, right?

Tags
beginner, kickbox