Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-11, 01:10 PM  
HRCFitness

P90X vs STS

Hi all,
I have STS and I really like it. I use Meso 1 all the time, 2 and 3 not so much but I really want to get Ab Ripper X which is part of P90x.....how different is P90x from STS...is it worth it?

Thoughts?
HRCFitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 06:47 PM  
lexybeth1

Hello! I may not be much help, due to the factors that play into the effectiveness of the sets, such as "time in life" diet, weight etc, but I did p90x classic rotation and p90x lean rotation about 3 years ago, and it was the best I had ever looked with home workouts, I leaned out with both of the rotations, added nice muscle definition, firmed up toned up and just basically looked amazing I was blown away with the results, I didnt follow the diet to a T but did try to eat healthy and right 95 percent of the time....Fast forward and last year after the birth of my 5th child, I was very soft and overweight, and did STS in its entirety minus the last few workouts, and although I may have somewhat lost a little weight, and firmed up a LITTLE, I was not happy with my results, and therefore I suppose I wasnt too happy with STS which is why I just stopped and didnt complete the last of it..and THAT made me really sad, because I own absolutely every workout minus a couple vhs only that Cathe has ever made, and I adore her and all of her workouts...Ab Ripper X is absolutely the best ab work period....I also think P90x is the best workout series period...So my vote definitely goes for P90X. I just cant see how anyone could do it as designed and eat somewhat healthy for the most part, and not get some kind of great results from it I also think Tony Horton is funny and makes the workout fun to do...
lexybeth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 06:50 PM  
lexybeth1

I dont know if I answered your question with that post, lol...I think they are very different to warrant purchasing P90X. altho I do believe STS is much more detailed and thought out, and thorough, they have a completely different feel and for me, completely different results..Can a workout series be too detailed?? Idk, I really dont know why results didnt click for me with STS, and when I got it, I really thought it was going to be a detailed "Cathe" version of P90X, but imo they were completely different.
lexybeth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 06:54 PM  
Fitstick

P90X is an awesome system but I found STS more enjoyable overall. P90X is a 90 day system, so its all Tony all the time. With STS at least you can pick and choose your cardio and break away from Cathe while still following the rotation, I also felt like there was more variety in the workouts with STS. I enjoy having both systems but feel I would use STS more often. It is really a personal preference, you can't go wrong with either program.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 08:47 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I have both systems, but I can't compare the two, because I have never been able to do more than one workout from each STS phase. I just have not been able to click with STS.

On the other hand, I LOVE P90X. I've done a classic and a lean rotation, and lots of halfsies rotations, and I have yet to tire of this system. I definitely think P90X is well worth the investment.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 11:08 PM  
Helen

Nobody has mentioned that P90x is a complete programme. STS is a weights programme (unless you add-in Shock Cardio, of course), so the failure of STS to produce the same results as P90X may lie in the additional choices made to go with STS.

The P90x rotation phase 1, week 1 looks like:
Mon Chest/Back + Abs
Tue Plyo
Wed Shoulders/Arm + Abs
Thu Yoga
Fri Legs/Back + Abs
Sat Kenpo
Sun Stretch

Doing Ab Ripper 3x/week with Plyo & Kenpo may mean a higher level of work gets done beyond the straight weights work, than what one might choose to do on their own to complement STS. I recall that the 1st half of YogaX made me sweat!

The STS rotation, meso 1, week 1 looks like:
Mon Chest/Shoulders/Biceps
Wed Back/Triceps
Fri Legs

You have to add your own Cardio, Abs, Stretch, & Yoga. Clarification - STS does have 'Extended Stretch' (15min), but it's not explicitly laid out to do in the official rotation.

I'm not advocating one or the other. I prefer Tony's style (less dry) but there are only 12 discs to last 3 months with no real room to add extra things to help the variety factor. STS, on the other hand - having to pad it out with your own choices may be a positive for variety hounds.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 07:28 AM  
JP44

Plenty of people have subbed in other cardio (or yoga) while doing a P90x rotation & still had great results. You aren't locked into Tony for 90 days (unless you want to be ).

The key is the P90x weight work, some kind of plyo & some yoga (not just stretching). Tony always says he's able to lift such heavy weights because of yoga, not because he does heavy weight training.

The reason P90x weight work is effective is you do your own max at your own pace. Even in STS, most don't do that. Most people match Cathe's reps & speed OR follow the beat of the music. I don't think anyone follows the guys in the back....

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 07:44 AM  
andtckrtoo

P90X is the only rotation I have every completed. I bought STS and promptly traded it as the workouts last forever. I didn't feel that way with P90X - even though many are the same length.

That being said, they are completely different style of work outs, even though they are both heavy weight focused. Cathe is professional, and you're there to work. Tony gives the impression of hanging out with a bunch of friends at a gym. They both have annoying background exercisers. Oh yeah, and Tony can be annoying. (I like the guy, too). If you like STS, P90X may annoy you.

I guess the only way to know is to try them. Can you do a temp trade for a few of the workouts to see if Tony's style is something you click with?

Oh, and I agree with Joan. I subbed a lot in P90X. Kept the weight work, and varied the other work, as long as it was the same genre.

Edited to add - now I want to do a P90X rotation, even though I know those kinds of heavy weights don't work for me.
Old 09-23-11, 07:46 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

I have both and I prefer P90x. I guess it's because I prefer a complete program. When I was doing STS, I would often skip doing cardio because I couldn't decide what to do. There is also a lot less equipment used in P90X. And, I'm another one who loves Tony's humor......

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 08:23 AM  
Amazon

I have both and got much better results with STS -- my reasoning for this is twofold:
  1. When I first got P90X I could not do all the exercises because many were beyond my ability. Talk about an exercise in frustration! I did what I could, but so often I'd be stuck because I couldn't even do a modification!
  2. When I'd built up strength, stamina and my core, and I could finally do most of the exercises of P90X, I found that the lower body portion lacked too much to make me happy.

My legs and butt never looked as good as they did after STS. (Although with the introduction of kettlebells to my program they're getting even better!)

Regarding the upper body... P90X is hard on the shoulders, even YogaX can impinge those joints unless you're very careful.

STS is IMHO, effective for beginners on through to more advanced exercisers as long as you tailor your weights to your one rep max.

I do have some favorites in P90X: the stretch DVD, the Chest & Back workout (how classic is that? pullups and pushups! Even doing assisted pullups or lat pulldowns give you a great workout.) and YogaX.

I get the argument that P90X is a complete program, though.
Amazon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe friedrich, halfsies, p90x, sts, sts weights, tony horton