Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-11, 01:00 PM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

Fabulous review, Neatski - thank you! I agree with you entirely. I like the workout and it gave me major DOMS, but I'm not sure where it fits in my rotation. I've sort of ended up treating it as a cardio workout, so I do it on days when running isn't possible due to bad weather or whatever, but it definitely could be viewed as a strength training workout as well. I don't mind the drums, mainly because I pay little attention to them. I mainly monitor for transitions and listen to NPR in the background.

Lurdes
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 01:14 PM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee View Post

I agree with the post that said (apart from the minor fact that it includes the swing) Ilaria'sworkout is not a simulated kettlebell workout.
Just to clarify, I didn't say it was a simulated kettlebell workout. I said that certain exercises simulated kettlebell training using dumbbells. It is a very unique approach and I did not get the sense that Ilaria was trying to replace kettlebells with dumbbells or anything like that. I could not find another name for that type of training.

How are the dumbbells working out for you in the kettlebell workouts?

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 01:20 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post
I could not find another name for that type of training.
I think it is referred to as "ballistic strength training."

I watched a clip and it looks interesting. I don't know if the drums would bother me or not.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 02:50 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Thanks for the great review!
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 03:02 PM  
marmalade

I've done Atletica several times now. Love it, love it, love it. I have a total girlcrush on Ilaria, her joy in the workout is so clear and honest and wonderful to see. And I love the ballistic dumbbell work (which I don't find pseudo-kb, because as Kathryn pointed out, ballistic moves have always been done with dumbbells and barbells). It's fun and energizing and tough. I love it all.

And love the drumming. Usually I wish fervently that a workout had a "music off" option so I can play my own music, since I hate the sort of canned electro or wimpy covers that come with most workouts. But this workout, I don't. I think the live drummer is such a great way to go, she rocks.
marmalade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 04:02 PM  
sophiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade View Post
I've done Atletica several times now. Love it, love it, love it. I have a total girlcrush on Ilaria, her joy in the workout is so clear and honest and wonderful to see. And I love the ballistic dumbbell work (which I don't find pseudo-kb, because as Kathryn pointed out, ballistic moves have always been done with dumbbells and barbells). It's fun and energizing and tough. I love it all.

And love the drumming. Usually I wish fervently that a workout had a "music off" option so I can play my own music, since I hate the sort of canned electro or wimpy covers that come with most workouts. But this workout, I don't. I think the live drummer is such a great way to go, she rocks.
I did Atletica for the first time last weekend and loved it. It was also my first experience with Ilaria and I also felt her joy as well!
I loved the drummer only for the fact that she looked relieved to be on the other side of the drums and not doing the workout!
sophiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 04:09 PM  
FitzFour

I'm on the "I love Atletica" bandwagon too! I have to admit, I am one that notices music in DVD's, so much so that I will get rid of a DVD if the music is bad or the instructor says too many ums, uhs, work it, whatever. I thought I'd hate the drumming, but I actually really don't mind it at all. I think when it's a harder workout (like this one...I used pretty heavy weights and was sweating buckets when I was done), I tend to be more focused on form and the workout, than worrying about the background music. I felt the drums went well with the workout, and flowed nicely.
FitzFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 05:33 PM  
Vee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
Vee, which Kettlebell DVDs do you use using dumbells? I've always been intrigued by Kettlebells, but refused to get more equipment. May be I can start somewhere...
Sorry for slight hijacking.

Amy Bento's Kettlebell Dynamics and Kettlebell Butts & Guts are the only kettlebell DVDs I bought. I learnt kettlebell moves from YouTube. I did written workouts with my own music for a long time before buying any DVDs. I used to workout exclusively at the gym back then, so I grabbed a dumbbell and did the workouts right there.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 10:35 AM  
KellyMarie65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurdes View Post
Fabulous review, Neatski - thank you! I agree with you entirely. I like the workout and it gave me major DOMS, but I'm not sure where it fits in my rotation. I've sort of ended up treating it as a cardio workout, so I do it on days when running isn't possible due to bad weather or whatever, but it definitely could be viewed as a strength training workout as well. I don't mind the drums, mainly because I pay little attention to them. I mainly monitor for transitions and listen to NPR in the background.

Lurdes
So, this could be a workout after a day of upper body? Seems like most say it's lacking in upper body. I could do it possiby the day after?
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 10:52 AM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyMarie65 View Post
So, this could be a workout after a day of upper body? Seems like most say it's lacking in upper body. I could do it possiby the day after?
Maybe. It does have a ton of pushup and plank work, so if you're doing that on your upper body day, it might be overkill. Plus it works the core a lot. But if you're doing more isolational upper body work on your upper body day, then Atletica the following day would probably be fine.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atletica, halfsies, ilaria, ilaria montagnani, momentum